Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

Again, I wouldn't mind paying 35-40k baht for a genuine 1 year ed visa, but not for 4-5 months, especially when you can possibly get it for free.

We were (or at least I was) talking about retirement/volunteer visa , (which are a bit more that that) 

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

It is clear that you never tried to do three visa exempt border runs in a single calendar year, at least in the last few years. 

You can stay in denial. I know it's hard to accept the fact that there is an easier way to live in Thailand, without marrying a Thai woman etc. with all the implications...

You can stay in denial. I know it's hard to accept the fact that there is an easier way to live in Thailand, without marrying a Thai woman etc. with all the implications...

I've always enjoyed a live-in ....... with all the madness it brings.

Life is never boring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

That's what the corrupt immigration wants to scare us into thinking.

Maybe , maybe not .

If you want to stay in Thailand for  a year plus , I would get myself a long term visa now, whilst its still possible .

If you arent bothered about staying for more than a few months , just wait and see whether the amnesty is extended .

If the amnesty isnt extended , it will probably cost you more over the course of the year , on flights and any quarantines, insurance , tests etc than it would paying now for a long term visa and you may not be able to get back to Thailand for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

Scaremongering from the corrupt immigration

In fairness I don't think the Thai government actually referred to it as an "Amnesty" but the definition of Amnesty is:- "the act of releasing or protecting a person or persons from prosecution for wrongdoings".

Once the amnesty has expired, then that person is no longer protected from "Prosecution for Wrongdoings", which in this case is staying beyond the end of their permission to stay date which was never extended (you would need to go to immigration to do that) so remains what it was originally.

If you want further evidence of this, people who did not do a 90 day report because they were told not to because of the amnesty are having to visit CW in person because they missed a 90 day report & some are getting red stamps in their passport saying they missed a 90 day report but there would be no fine because of the amnesty - Why would Immigration do this if it wasn't for the fact that as far as they're concerned, despite the amnesty, the original reporting dates still applied.

I think Thai Immigration (& again I know they don't make the rules) have been very clear in saying as far as they are concerned on the 27th September you will be on Overstay, whether it will be 1 day or since the end of your previous permission to stay remains to be seen, but I wouldn't call it scaremongering to highlight that there's a very real risk this could happen... Up to you whether you want to chance your future in Thailand on it not. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Post up three land visa exempt stamps from the same year then, if you have done it (post 2014)

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Teavee said:

I think Thai Immigration (& again I know they don't make the rules) have been very clear in saying as far as they are concerned on the 27th September you will be on Overstay, whether it will be 1 day or since the end of your previous permission to stay remains to be seen, but I wouldn't call it scaremongering to highlight that there's a very real risk this could happen... Up to you whether you want to chance your future in Thailand on it not. 

Unless the government give another extension.

I'n OK, I'll apply for a 60 day extension on the 23rd, if there's no further free extension.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

In fairness I don't think the Thai government actually referred to it as an "Amnesty" but the definition of Amnesty is:- "the act of releasing or protecting a person or persons from prosecution for wrongdoings".

Once the amnesty has expired, then that person is no longer protected from "Prosecution for Wrongdoings", which in this case is staying beyond the end of their permission to stay date which was never extended (you would need to go to immigration to do that) so remains what it was originally.

If you want further evidence of this, people who did not do a 90 day report because they were told not to because of the amnesty are having to visit CW in person because they missed a 90 day report & some are getting red stamps in their passport saying they missed a 90 day report but there would be no fine because of the amnesty - Why would Immigration do this if it wasn't for the fact that as far as they're concerned, despite the amnesty, the original reporting dates still applied.

I seem to recall that the Government instructed immigration to automatically extend everyones visa until April 26 th and then again until September 26 th , which would mean everyones visa would be valid to September 26 th .

Does anyone know anyone who has left Thailand during the amnesty and whether they got an overstay stamp in their passport ?

35 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Please enlighten us all with your "Easier Way to Live in Thailand", I wouldn't call monthly border runs (which you wouldn't be able to maintain for very long) "Easy", cheap maybe, but not "Easy" or are you simply saying that you're "Living Here" for free because of the amnesty... In which case you clearly know it will end sooner or later so hardly the basis for "Living Here".  

I do live here & am not married but I am > 50 so have a 1 year extension based on my Non-O visa which I realise guys under 50 (I'm assuming you are as you haven't mentioned this option) cannot get., if I wasn't over 50 & wanted to live her easily then I would simply get the 20 Year Thailand Elite Visa, but "Easily" generally equals "Costs More"

I make extending my stay here as easy as possible by paying an agent 7,000 THB to do all the running around for me & drive me to CW, my 90 day report was done "Easily" by paying same agent a 1-off fee of 1,500 to go to MTT to do my 1st 90 day report (Am normally out of Thailand at least once every 3 months so never had to do one before + this year, you had to turn up in person or authorise somebody to turn up for you if you missed one because of the Amnesty), again can be done "Easily" or it can be done "Cheaply" but not both. 

In future I will do my 90 day online (or by post) or pay them 374.50 THB every 90 days to do it for me which is probably cheaper than having to go to/from MTT, I guess sometimes it can be bother Easier & Cheaper ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I seem to recall that the Government instructed immigration to automatically extend everyones visa until April 26 th and then again until September 26 th , which would mean everyones visa would be valid to September 26 th .

Does anyone know anyone who has left Thailand during the amnesty and whether they got an overstay stamp in their passport ?

I don't think they would have got a stamp as they weren't on overstay because of the amnesty, but after this ends who knows whether you would be treated as having extended up to Sept 26th or be treated as overstaying from the end of you latest permission to stay. 

Immigration did say that this was the last extension & people had to extend their permission to stay or leave the country by 26th September so they could go either way... I would lean towards them using the original pos date as from their viewpoint they've given everybody ample warning to get themselves sorted or leave the country, there are the cases of people on Non-O ME's that are still valid & a few genuine cases where the person would have great difficulties in leaving Thailand (embassy letters may be able to help here) and I hope that Immigration at least take these into account when deciding how it goes. 

I have no idea why people were getting a red stamp in their passport for missing the 90 day, but there were a couple of examples posted in threads on here so it obviously happened to some (though not me & mine was originally due in May) 

Edited by Mike Teavee

5 hours ago, TonBrow said:

I just prefer the safety of a well established, reputable law firm such as Siam Legal, since agents have always had a shady reputation. Maybe things have changed a lot from the days of just giving your passport to a so-called agent to send to his friend with a fake or discontinued stamp, I don't know. Anyway, a friend of mine did contact an agent in this regard, not knowing that I had already made arrangements with a lawyer. The agent is charging 35,000 and the lawyer is charging 45,000. Only a 10,000 baht difference, but worth not having to worry about the legitimacy of the stamp.

I would not work with Siam Legal at all, they once tried to scam me with a legalization of my daughters birth certificate. I ended up paying more than 10 times less dealing with a nurse who was dealing with that stuff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

it won't be fun for a lot of people if they don't extend the amnesty or only extend it for people with valid Non-O's that are only stuck in-country because they can't do their usual 90 day border bounce. 

For further evidence that Immigration (at least at CW & I know the final decision is not theirs) think that the 26th September is a final end date, they've been granting people annual extensions until 26th September 2021 despite their normal 1 year extension ending earlier than this.

If it were me, I would have a very good plan B & IMHO planning to pay the overstay fine isn't a good one (What will you do if they say the overstay starts from the date your previous permission to stay ends which has been hinted at before, would this put you over the 90 day limit & result in being blacklisted for at least 1 year)?

As long I can make it to the airport I would not care. Pay 20K THB overstay and take the black list stamp. I not plan to come back to LOS anyway. They could even confiscate my passport. I have 3 more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 321 BOOM said:

As long I can make it to the airport I would not care. Pay 20K THB overstay and take the black list stamp. I not plan to come back to LOS anyway. They could even confiscate my passport. I have 3 more.

What is there to stop you leaving Thailand now ?

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

We were (or at least I was) talking about retirement/volunteer visa , (which are a bit more that that) 

Yeah you were saying 50k in another thread, right? That's not cheap. Seems like they have raised the prices now. I had heard a while back that it was in the 15-25k range.

3 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I don't think they would have got a stamp as they weren't on overstay because of the amnesty, but after this ends who knows whether you would be treated as having extended up to Sept 26th or be treated as overstaying from the end of you latest permission to stay. 

Immigration did say that this was the last extension & people had to extend their permission to stay or leave the country by 26th September so they could go either way... I would lean towards them using the original pos date as from their viewpoint they've given everybody ample warning to get themselves sorted or leave the country, there are the cases of people on Non-O ME's that are still valid & a few genuine cases where the person would have great difficulties in leaving Thailand (embassy letters may be able to help here) and I hope that Immigration at least take these into account when deciding how it goes. 

I have no idea why people were getting a red stamp in their passport for missing the 90 day, but there were a couple of examples posted in threads on here so it obviously happened to some (though not me & mine was originally due in May) 

Ubon Joe has assured us that overstay would start after Sept 26 if the amnesty is not extended.

12 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I did not know that.

That's because you replied to rubbish post.

Having said that, my comment was about normal times pre covid.

The Thai police would be sniffing opportunity post Sept 26.

Good luck with those that plan overstay. Esp longer term. Fools. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's absolutely retarded to believe Sept 27 will be our first day of overstay should the amnesty not be extended with 0 recourse at all. We'll AT THE VERY LEAST be granted a 7 days permission to stay for us to leave the country at immigration. And it will probably be far more than 7 days to give everyone time to leave.

Edited by Seik

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Of course there will be some options to extend stay after Sep 26.

How do you work that out. Either the amnesty will be extended couple of weeks prior to sept 26 or 30 day extensions with embassy letter. 

If none of those offered then you will be on overstay. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yeah you were saying 50k in another thread, right? That's not cheap. Seems like they have raised the prices now. I had heard a while back that it was in the 15-25k range.

Depends on whether you just need a 12 month extension or whether you also need the initial 3 month visa aswell 

4 minutes ago, Seik said:

I think it's absolutely retarded to believe Sept 27 will be our first day of overstay should the amnesty not be extended with 0 recourse at all. We'll AT THE VERY LEAST be granted a 7 days permission to stay for us to leave the country at immigration.

You would be granted 7 days to leave if you apply for extension which is refused. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Seik said:

I think it's absolutely retarded to believe Sept 27 will be our first day of overstay should the amnesty not be extended with 0 recourse at all. We'll AT THE VERY LEAST be granted a 7 days permission to stay for us to leave the country at immigration.

We've all just been granted six weeks permission to stay , not sure why they would feel the need to give 7 more days , although you could apply at immigration and ask for a visa extension (1900 Baht ), get refused and get 7 more days that way 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 321 BOOM said:

I would not work with Siam Legal at all, they once tried to scam me with a legalization of my daughters birth certificate. I ended up paying more than 10 times less dealing with a nurse who was dealing with that stuff.

They did actually scam me when I tried using them to get a US visitors visa for the gf.

• Like 1

If there is no further amnesty I expect airline prices to increase 3 fold, Airlines always increase prices when they know customers have no choice likewise during UK school holidays and  half term holidays prices shoot up for those periods and come down again once the schools are back as it very diffcult to take school children on  holiday now in term time without incurring a huge fine

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We've all just been granted six weeks permission to stay , not sure why they would feel the need to give 7 more days , although you could apply at immigration and ask for a visa extension (1900 Baht ), get refused and get 7 more days that way 

It's not about feeling the need to do it or not. It's part of the normal procedure which you outlined. 7 days is nothing to frown about if you have to leave urgently after betting on an amnesty extension which you just realized is not going to come.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How do you work that out. Either the amnesty will be extended couple of weeks prior to sept 26 or 30 day extensions with embassy letter. 

If none of those offered then you will be on overstay. 

Do you know anybody that's been successful in get the 30 day extension with embassy letter?My office say they won't give me one.I remember reading it was for short term visas such as tourist or visa on arrival.

1 minute ago, Seik said:

It's not about feeling the need to do it or not. It's part of normal procedure.

We are in unprecedented times , there is no much thing as "normal procedure" .

Why do you think they will give an additional seven days , after previously giving 45 days ?

5 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

If there is no further amnesty I expect airline prices to increase 3 fold, Airlines always increase prices when they know customers have no choice likewise during UK school holidays and  half term holidays prices shoot up for those periods and come down again once the schools are back as it very diffcult to take school children on  holiday now in term time without incurring a huge fine

Supply and demand , if 50-100 000 people all try to book flights out on the same day , there might not be the availability . 

• Like 1