Those on the Visa amnesty

Those on the visa amnesty  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We are in unprecedented times , there is no much thing as "normal procedure" .

Why do you think they will give an additional seven days , after previously giving 45 days ?

The current amnesty wording actually refers directly to the normal immigration laws applying after September 26.  The 7 days permission to stay based on extension refusal is part of that set of rules.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Seik said:

The current amnesty wording actually refers directly to the normal immigration laws applying after September 26. 

If you are able to get a visa extension from immigration, there should be no problem in applying and receiving the extension 

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

If you are able to get a visa extension from immigration, there should be no problem in applying and receiving the extension 

I'm talking about people with no proper extension available come september 26. They will still have that 7 days option.

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's because you replied to rubbish post.

Having said that, my comment was about normal times pre covid.

The Thai police would be sniffing opportunity post Sept 26.

Good luck with those that plan overstay. Esp longer term. Fools. 

I'm already hearing about more police stops in Pattaya and Nana/Asoke area on foreigners, If no amnesty is extended their going to go wild looking for people on overstay. This is NOT the time to overstay. Way to many others will be doing it and the police know it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lovesthespicy said:

I'm already hearing about more police stops in Pattaya and Nana/Asoke area on foreigners, If no amnesty is extended their going to go wild looking for people on overstay. This is NOT the time to overstay. Way to many others will be doing it and the police know it.

If that was the case, why would they amplify now, when everyone and their mother is on amnesty? Why not use the element of surprise and go from the usual checks to a frantic foreigner hunt come Sept 27 ? Stop being paranoid.

Edited by Seik

32 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

We've all just been granted six weeks permission to stay , not sure why they would feel the need to give 7 more days , although you could apply at immigration and ask for a visa extension (1900 Baht ), get refused and get 7 more days that way 

Make sure to get their early as its going to be packed! 

Just now, Seik said:

If that was the case, why would they start now that everyone and their mother is on amnesty? Why not use the element of surprise and go from the usual checks to a frantic foreigner hunt come Sept 27 ? Stop being paranoid.

I dont know Stickmans last column said people are telling him its happening in BKK. Pattaya expat group I'm in a bunch of people complaining about more stops. Maybe their just getting into the practice to start messing with us now. I wouldn't be risking overstaying thats for sure! 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:06 AM, FlyingThai said:

Everybody knows that the 26th is the LAST day of the Visa amnesty (for now). That doesn't mean you have the right to remain until the very last second of the 26th SEP and then demand further leeway to leave the country. From today one has more than four weeks to prepare the departure or prepare to become illegal after midnight.

This is an obvious misinformation. What about previous amnesty? Those who left thinking it will not be prolonged made a big mistake (in case they wanted to stay longer). Anybody who wants to stay in Thailand for some more time should, at least, wait for an official announcement regarding what happens after 26 of September. 

Edited by Zikomat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

They're notorious for catching foreigners in or around the airport, before they can make it to the immigration.

????????????????????????????????????

I love this forum, really. I've never found such an amount of jokes around the net...

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The Thai police would be sniffing opportunity post Sept 26.

Good luck with those that plan overstay. Esp longer term. Fools. 

Actually, if there is one fool, that's the guy that spent every single day, for 1 month prior to the 31st of July, suggesting everyone to *go home*, hoping that on 1 August everyone would be arrested/deported/kicked home.

Yes That's you. ????

Now you can start hoping again. Amazing life you have.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

This is an obvious misinformation. What about previous amnesty? Those who left thinking it will not be prolonged made a big mistake (in case they wanted to stay longer). Anybody who wants to stay in Thailand for some more time should, at least, wait for an official announcement regarding what happens after 26 of September. 

You are advising that everyone deliberately ignores the deadline and risks overstay (and potential 1 year ban) because of your suspicion that Amnesty will be extended even though there has been announcements that there will be no further Amnesty (except for those with extenuating circumstances, which ‘waiting to see’ is not).

People on Visa Amnesty have 4 weeks to sort their situation out. 

This is of course, difficult for some whose countries are closed, but for most, there are options to travel to their home countries. 

Unfortunately, those ‘chancing’ or trying to ‘game’ the system will make life just that little bit more difficult for those genuine cases of people who are facing extreme difficult in getting home. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Actually they are already illegal in the sense they have no legal status to stay. The amnesty grants them clemency under the law but the fact remains that they are breaking the law.

"Amnesty" is a misleading term, people "under the amnesty" are automatically extended until 26th September and are just as legal as anybody with a long term extension.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

It's not the official government announcement. It's just what the corrupt immigration wants us to believe.

Jose I tell you something. It's the "go home brigade". You gotta love them. 

It's people in Thailand that spends the whole day messing their head about people on visa amnesty and spit their frustration on TVF. You will learn to love them during these weeks.

Just read how much satisfaction they can get by the thought that people will be in sooooo much trouble ????.

Examples are drjack54 and patrickC, the corporate Bangcock guy.

2 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

I agree with this post. It is very annoying to come on here and read these very reckless posts with people essentially encouraging others not to leave and in doing so creating great danger for them. They also, to this post's points, make it more difficult for people who genuinely need compassionate leave to remain.

People encouraging others to leave may create a greater danger for them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Back to square 1 

"After 90 days in Thailand, volunteers need to renew their visa. To do this, volunteers need to leave Thailand and apply for a new visa. This takes a minimum of two working days. Again, we provide all the required paperwork"

That square 1 is normal procedure, we are talking about the types of visa that can be extended now in Thailand without going abroad as it was before.

22 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Also important in this argument is that these illegal "tourists" will not have proper medical insurance here, so if something happens to them they will burden the hospital system. It is right and proper that they leave Thailand now before they create a problem for the country.

Any medical costs would far outweigh the tiny amount of Baht they contribute.

Cmon Patrick please stop spamming us here with this stuff. it smacks of trolling.

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Depends on whether you just need a 12 month extension or whether you also need the initial 3 month visa aswell 

Please elucidate. The initial 3 months, makes it more expensive? For just the 12 month extension it is cheaper? Feel free to pm me.

Edited by vermin on arrival

14 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

How is believing people without valid permission to stay should return to their country of citizenship creating any danger for them?

They have a valid permission to stay from the Thai government, which may be extended further. Why should they leave a safe place and take the risk of getting infected?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Also important in this argument is that these illegal "tourists" will not have proper medical insurance here, so if something happens to them they will burden the hospital system. It is right and proper that they leave Thailand now before they create a problem for the country.

Don't worry, they won't spend a Baht treating broke farangs for free.

30 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

I wouldn't go that far. Plenty if not most of those currently staying under the visa amnesty have either a proper travel insurance or the means to afford their procedures to be paid in cash.

There is no increased excessive risk of default payments than in the past when there were millions of tourists in the country, some of which indeed didn't pay. Most of the truly destitute individuals however have already been washed out by the general panic and "come back home" calls of their embassies.

And in regards to these defaults on medical bills I'd argue that the hospitals rip off most if not all foreigners who come in for treatments and procedures. Even the best private hospitals in Bangkok have dual pricing for Thai/Foreigner unless you slap them with a local insurance card where everything will be billed directly. Their scam pricing more than pays for those few people who slip away without paying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zikomat said:

Let me tell you what disinformation is:

Telling people to wait out until 10 days before an official government deadline expires and then possibly facing flight fares that are thousand of $ one way. Then you can hear all these deadbeats crying again how they can't afford to go home. Booohooo!

Again, you have no right to remain in this country without a proper long term visa. I think you misunderstand the legal definition of the term amnesty. It's not a title that permits you to stay indefinitely. An amnesty is tantamount to a pardon in the legal sense. Those who currently remain in Thailand after their stay permit expired are technically in breach of immigration regulations (the law). The amnesty only shields them from prosecution.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Please elucidate. The initial 3 months, makes it more expensive? For just the 12 month extension it is cheaper? Feel free to pm me.

Two different visas .

Initial "retirement " visa , valid for 3 months , plus the 12 month extension .

Once you have the "retirement" visa, you then just have to pay for the yearly extension 

If you do not have the initial retirement visa, you will have to pay for both 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sundown said:

Jose I tell you something. It's the "go home brigade". You gotta love them. 

It's people in Thailand that spends the whole day messing their head about people on visa amnesty and spit their frustration on TVF. You will learn to love them during these weeks.

Just read how much satisfaction they can get by the thought that people will be in sooooo much trouble ????.

Examples are drjack54 and patrickC, the corporate Bangcock guy.

Not at all .

We have all been told by immigration to get long term visas , we all have the choice whether to comply or not . 

I just think that its better to comply , rather then sit and hope for an amnesty extension .

Everyones individual choice though 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

They have a valid permission to stay from the Thai government, which may be extended further. Why should they leave a safe place and take the risk of getting infected?

Everything in life has a risk. I dare to say that the average foreigner in Thailand roaming around on a motor scooter (without helmet) is in greater risk of dying or being involved in a serious accident than returning to his clean, western home country during C-19 times.

People should get their head a shake, To suggest that it's unsafe to return to Australia, Germany, UK or U.S. is absolutely laughable. People have been using this Amnesty to make their previous 6 months more comfortable, nothing wrong with that. I don't see a problem for people to stay until the amnesty expires but let's call a spade a spade: This has nothing to do with safety and comfort matters aren't a basis to circumvent the immigration law.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PatrickC said:

That's a lot of nonsense. Firstly, those on automatic extension granted by the government aren't "illegal tourists" - there is nothing illegal about staying for as long as it's permitted. Secondly, nothing stops that group from purchasing medical insurance and I'm sure many have done so - I know I have.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

That travel insurance will have long expired.

I pay the same at the hospital as Thais do, although I do have Thai medical insurance.

Depends on the policy. Those with a max of 30 days have expired yes. Many can be extended against payment while abroad as I did for my gf who is Japanese.