How Fat is Thailand Getting?

Scaliwags66

I think it's simply down to diet and sugar.

Looking back at photos of people in the 1960's up through the 1980's most people were slim.  Back then I don't think they exercised much more than today. People still drove to work and sat on a chair in the office, same as today.

They also ate many foods we are told not to eat these days....meat pies, lard for baking, dripping and suet, fish and chips, cakes, desserts, drank alcohol, fried breakfasts, jam sandwiches etc.

One thing that has changed the most these days and that is sugar consumption and highly processed foods.

It seems nearly all processed foods are full of sugar. Sugar is even in savoury sauces and meat products...the hidden sugar. 

When we think of processed foods of course images of fast food come to mind, but it's also all the microwave meals, TV dinners, read made frozen meals and lots more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 4reaL said:

Interesting observation, I always wonder how those huge butt type ppl get themselves on a toilet seat.

The overhang must be immense.

lol, and no bum guns in the US, so how can you possibly wipe effectively

Edited by Scaliwags66
mispelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I think it's simply down to diet and sugar.

Looking back at photos of people in the 1960's up through the 1980's most people were slim.  Back then I don't think they exercised much more than today. People still drove to work and sat on a chair in the office, same as today.

They also ate many foods we are told not to eat these days....meat pies, lard for baking, dripping and suet, fish and chips, cakes, desserts, drank alcohol, fried breakfasts, jam sandwiches etc.

One thing that has changed the most these days and that is sugar consumption and highly processed foods.

It seems nearly all processed foods are full of sugar. Sugar is even in savoury sauces and meat products...the hidden sugar. 

When we think of processed foods of course images of fast food come to mind, but it's also all the microwave meals, TV dinners, read made frozen meals and lots more. 

I agree with I think the sugar is by far the biggest problem. The sugar drinks everywhere pack so many calories. And then the sugar is addicting so it just never stops. Yeah interesting responses. I hadn't checked my post until now, but yeah lots of interesting and funny perspectives. 

The corporate greed driving global obesity. Also, I read something (link below) about the American food companies expansion to Asia for growth in dairy, where as previously not much demand at all in dairy products in Asia. Now Vietnam government has program where every child at school gets a daily milk of some sort all coming in a tetra pack. 8 billion tetra packs a year. Absolutely no discussion globally for the amount of sheer trash this creates. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/09/billions-discarded-tetra-pak-cover-vietnams-beaches-towns

So the companies are getting us all fatter and then we throw out the trash and pollute the Earth. So just ruining ourselves on every level. Fcking eh. But hey, if stock market is doing well all is well....especially according to my president. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

I know US food industry is to blame in a lot of ways sending all their <deleted>ty products globally for the constant desire to grow corporate profits. But also Thais love a good bubble tea, iced coffee, cakes, sweets, etc etc. 

Can't blame the US for everything just because they do it first. Factory farming and industrial food production are a fact the entire world is going to have to come to terms with. The facts are obesity is correlated with low time preference, low-IQ, so-called "socioeconomic" status.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

I predict eventually Thailand will be somewhere above the "non-Hispanic Asian" who are mainly northern Asians (Chinese,Korean,Japanese) in the US and Whites, so something like 30% of the population will be obese. The only thing saving the Thais from US Hispanic levels of obesity is their traditional diet which will probably never go away completely. Unless there is an economic crash and the country stops industrializing food production, or the government bans certain foods Thailand will continue on the route they are on.

5 hours ago, genericptr said:

Can't blame the US for everything just because they do it first. Factory farming and industrial food production are a fact the entire world is going to have to come to terms with. The facts are obesity is correlated with low time preference, low-IQ, so-called "socioeconomic" status.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

I predict eventually Thailand will be somewhere above the "non-Hispanic Asian" who are mainly northern Asians (Chinese,Korean,Japanese) in the US and Whites, so something like 30% of the population will be obese. The only thing saving the Thais from US Hispanic levels of obesity is their traditional diet which will probably never go away completely. Unless there is an economic crash and the country stops industrializing food production, or the government bans certain foods Thailand will continue on the route they are on.

Jesus christ man, America is faaaat. I do notice it every time I am back but seeing the statistics on the CDC's site (copied below) is troubling. Almost a 40% increase in prevalence of obesity in the last 18 years, and almost 100% increase in prevalence of sever obesity. I guess that trend is going global. Maybe not so much on the same rate country to country, but damn maybe sugar is the biggest killer in the world.  Also, 40% of American from the age of 20-39 are obese? Not to play politics, but Trump ended Obama's (Michele more specifically) healthy choice school food options or whatever it was called so let's keep pumping up these numbers. 

From 1999–2000 through 2017–2018, the prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5% to 42.4%, and the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%.

• Non-Hispanic blacks (49.6%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by Hispanics (44.8%), non-Hispanic whites (42.2%) and non-Hispanic Asians (17.4%).
  • The prevalence of obesity was 40.0% among young adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 42.8% among adults aged 60 and older.
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Exactly the point of the post. The American, and other western, (with japan included) way of life is introduced everywhere, including most of what Thais own. Cars, trucks, scooters, computers, phones, tractors, appliances, military equipment and guns, and food. The food, mostly sweet things, is the main reason they are getting bigger here. Simple carbs like sugar have to be burned off before the body can burn stored body fat, and like all other kids in the world, they start early, giving the kids snacks instead of healthy food. In America, the diet knowledge is far more than here, but the obesity rate is very high because people love sweets and the companies know this. Before I came here, I saw Thais, and Asians,  as a lean race, with a few exceptions. Now everywhere i look I see more and more people with weight problems. Here in Isaan, you would think that since they are subsistence farmers for the most part, most would be lean because farm work, especially in the heat all day, tends to keep you lean. But when you snack during the day on junk, then go home and eat a pound of rice, your body will grow.

Look no further than the mom and pop shops in the village which sell mainly salty/ sugary snacks and drink.

After school the kids flock to 7 11 and food carts to eat bad food. They love that deep fried food.

13 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Trump ended Obama's (Michele more specifically) healthy choice school food options

In the UK they tried to bring in healthy school lunches. It was sabotaged by mothers smuggling bad food to their children through the fences. I think they have given up on it.

I have lived in Phuket for 20 years I put it down to lots of Thai families have come into money having sold a couple of Rai go in 7/11 early mornings and see the kids stocking up on junk all because they have money, Kids are fatter down here especially the girls and look at some of the staff in 7/11 

I have trouble finding food to eat in Thailand because everything tastes like sugar. They buy noodles and put sugar on them and then vinegar and fish sauce to cut back the sugar. Why not just no sugar?I also feel sorry for Thai kids. No parks or sports facilities. There is a small park with swings near me but it seems to be locked up. The school has open areas but they are concrete. The beach is filthy and full of rubbish. What chance do the kids have to exercise. Is sad.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 12:19 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Thai's eat all the time! They don't even know what is breakfast! Have to put 1 kilogram rice in mouth whit some else.

And need sweed after. Our girl (wife's) is fat and her cousin is elephant, weight 120 kilogram. I don't want to go shop whit them , coz cost 3000 bth only snacks "jesus". Wife give girl 500 bth/week to eat in school. Even eat breakfast and dinner in home.

Wife take care of elephant coz her real mother is looser and only drink lao khao ! Ask all the time money(she is in Khon Kaen univercity).

I have said to wife that elephant eat you to bankruptcy! Story of normal Thailand lol

Seems to me like you put yourself in a position you do not like. After that one might ask who the real loser is?

On 8/16/2020 at 11:06 PM, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

Farangs now complain about fat Thai people eat to much. ????

Maybe they never go to beach in Phuket? 

Or hotel breakfast buffet?

I is 42-44 kg. My mother 48kg. Father 58kg.

I guess this is your family

fat 1.jpg

fat 2.jpg

fat.jpg

On 8/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, SteveK said:

They eat a lot and regularly. And as time has gone on, because of western influences like fast foods, high calorie coffee drinks, cakes and donuts, as you mentioned some Thais are eating less healthily. And fewer are doing manual labour or even walking. Jesus, Thais hate walking more than 50 yards! More calories in and fewer calories out equals a fatter populace.

There are some huge women in my wife's family. But definitely the trend is towards getting fatter, a lifelong Japanese friend tells me it's the same there too. Asian metabolism can't handle a 1500 calories double cheeseburger, fries and a drink so the inevitable will happen. 

Well I must disagree with you I lived all my life in the west I never ate doughnuts I do not eat

junk food very often (once in 3 month) I do not eat cheese burgers at all I don't eat pizza

Yes I make them my self some times, it all depends on the individual . so as the Thai says it

is up to you.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:34 AM, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well I must disagree with you I lived all my life in the west I never ate doughnuts I do not eat

junk food very often (once in 3 month) I do not eat cheese burgers at all I don't eat pizza

Yes I make them my self some times, it all depends on the individual . so as the Thai says it

is up to you.

Between the great parts of my life junk food made life tolerable. When I was having a great time I had no desire to eat junk food.

I bumped into some Thai friends the other day while out shopping and the son I've not seen for a while OMG well over 100kg and he's about 15 years old not just big but fat with his belly overhanging his pants, These Thai's have money what does the mother do? she has just bought an exercise machine for him 150,000 Baht, she says he is to lazy wont go out exercise I can see him having health problems in the future I know his mother is diabetic 

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Between the great parts of my life junk food made life tolerable. When I was having a great time I had no desire to eat junk food.

I want cheap food, cheap alcohol and cheap (but small) women.

As far as I can see that's the perfect life.

In Thailand, junk western food is inexplicably expensive.

If McD was $1 like the rest of the world, I'd eat it.

But here ...... $6 ...... What the XXXX!

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2020 at 4:07 AM, BritManToo said:

You're wrong, in those days people walked everywhere.

And there was no TV or internet to sit in front of for entertainment.

In the UK TV used to start at 5:30pm with 'Crossroads' (until about 1975).

I wonder if Crossroads was a short time motel?

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I bumped into some Thai friends the other day while out shopping and the son I've not seen for a while OMG well over 100kg and he's about 15 years old not just big but fat with his belly overhanging his pants, These Thai's have money what does the mother do? she has just bought an exercise machine for him 150,000 Baht, she says he is to lazy wont go out exercise I can see him having health problems in the future I know his mother is diabetic 

It's called survival of the species. When those that have no wish to be healthy die out, those that do want to be healthy will be left to pass on better genes.

I despair when I see young kids that are obese- their parents have failed them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's called survival of the species. When those that have no wish to be healthy die out, those that do want to be healthy will be left to pass on better genes.

I despair when I see young kids that are obese- their parents have failed them.

Works the opposite way at the moment.

Those stupid or lazy or primitive breed a lot, those intelligent or thoughtful breed very little.

The world will be inherited by the Indian/Chinese/Muslims ....... the guys whose women will still breed with them.

Edited by BritManToo

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Works the opposite way at the moment.

Those stupid or lazy or primitive breed a lot, those intelligent or thoughtful breed very little.

The world will be inherited by the Indian/Chinese/Muslims ....... the guys whose women will still breed with them.

Once the aforementioned have overpopulated the human race to the point of collapse, they'll all die because they are too ignorant to survive without civilization supporting them, but the clever ones will, or at least the clever ones that have guns and are prepared to use them, in my opinion.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:06 AM, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

Farangs now complain about fat Thai people eat to much. ????

Maybe they never go to beach in Phuket? 

Or hotel breakfast buffet?

I is 42-44 kg. My mother 48kg. Father 58kg.

I is 42-44kg

What school teaches English like that?