Israel says it expects Bahrain and Oman to follow UAE in formalising ties

webfact

Israel says it expects Bahrain and Oman to follow UAE in formalising ties

2020-08-16T104435Z_1_LYNXNPEG7F086_RTROPTP_4_ISRAEL-EMIRATES-TRUMP.JPG

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announces a peace agreement to establish diplomatic ties, between Israel and the United Arab Emirates, during a news conference at the prime minster office in Jerusalem, August 13, 2020. Abir Sultan /Pool via REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Bahrain and Oman could be the next Gulf countries to follow the United Arab Emirates in formalising ties with Israel, Israel's intelligence minister said on Sunday.

Israel and the UAE announced on Thursday that they will normalise diplomatic relations, reshaping Middle East politics from the Palestinian issue to the fight against Iran.

"In the wake of this agreement will come additional agreements, both with more Gulf countries and with Muslim countries in Africa," Intelligence Minister Eli Cohen told Army Radio.

"I think that Bahrain and Oman are definitely on the agenda. In addition, in my assessment, there is a chance that already in the coming year there will be a peace deal with additional countries in Africa, chief among them, Sudan," he said.

Both Bahrain and Oman praised the U.S.-sponsored accord, but neither have commented on their own prospects for normalised relations or responded to requests for comment on the subject.

More Arab and Muslim states from the Middle East and Africa could soon recognize the state of Israel, an Israeli government minister said on Sunday. This report produced by Zachary Goelman.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has met with Omani and Sudanese leaders in the past two years, including a visit to Oman in October 2018.

"I expect more countries will be joining us in the peace circle," Netanyahu told cabinet ministers on Sunday, according to a statement from his office.

"This is a historic change which advances peace with the Arab world and will eventually advance a real, sober and secure peace with the Palestinians," he said.

The UAE-Israel deal firms up opposition to regional power Iran. The Palestinians denounced the deal as a betrayal.

UAE and Israeli foreign ministers held their first publicly-acknowledged call on Sunday after the Gulf state opened telephone lines to Israel.

Israel signed peace agreements with Egypt in 1979 and Jordan in 1994. But the UAE, along with most other Arab nations, has had no formal diplomatic or economic relations with it.

Oman maintains friendly ties with both the United States and Iran and has previously been a go-between for the two feuding countries.

A close ally of Saudi Arabia - which has not yet commented on the UAE-Israel accord - Bahrain hosted a senior Israeli official at a security conference in 2019 as well as a U.S-led conference on boosting the Palestinian economy as part U.S. President Donald Trump's Middle East peace initiative.

Government sources in Kuwait said its position towards Israel is unchanged, and it will be the last country to normalise relations, local newspaper al-Qabas reported.

(Reporting by Maayan Lubell in Jerusalem and Alexander Cornwell and Lisa Barrington in Dubai; Editing by Jeffrey Heller and Toby Chopra)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-17

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The penny must have have finally dropped that decade of hate and loathing the state of Israel got them nowhere so far and championing the palestinian cause just for the sake of solidarity turn out to be not a such a good idea after all, so, if you can't beat them, join them, goes the old adage, and by the look of it, it is a win win situation for all...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

Aside from some of your usual nonsense you may like to acquaint yourself with some facts on the number of drone strikes authorised by trump to compare to Obama...

There have been 2,243 drone strikes in the first two years of the Trump presidency, compared with 1,878 in Mr Obama's eight years in office

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47480207

Not sure I would trust the left wing BBC....  Britain’s version of CNN in the U.S. or the CBC in Canada. But at least the strikes took out a lot of enemies in ISIS and Al-Qaeda. ISIS has lost a lot of ground because of Trump. 
   But I guess some people are upset about that. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

I wonder how long it’s gonna take for the first bombs in the UAE to go off because that’s not gonna go down well in certain circles! 

So?   Find out who is behind the bombs, and make them pay dearly.

Why should we do things to please one party tyrannical dictatorships? 
     Are we to do everything we can to please Islamic extremists or please fascist or communist dictators and not get them upset?

Are they our lords and masters?  I guess that’s what some people want.  
    I’m going to live free, vote free, worship the way I wish, be good and follow good common sense natural laws, and if they don’t like it.... too bad, 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Not sure I would trust the left wing BBC....  Britain’s version of CNN in the U.S. or the CBC in Canada. But at least the strikes took out a lot of enemies in ISIS and Al-Qaeda. ISIS has lost a lot of ground because of Trump. 

BBC was reporting news in the link, not opinion pieces. Obama administration set the strategy for defeat of ISIS in the region and were well on thier way to achieve their goals, trump accelerated the process by less oversight of local command.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, 4reaL said:

So all the Palestinian people need now is non terrorist leadership. 

De facto, the Palestinians got a split leadership. While the Hamas may be labeled "terrorist", this does not apply to the Palestinian Authority. If you wish to challenge that, bear in mind that Israel and the PA maintain (or maintained) a rather close security cooperation, among other things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Anyone against this diplomatic coup is a truly sad person.

Needless to say, the MSM will play it down (since Trump is never supposed to be capable of a single positive act in all his life) or ignore it altogether. 

The MSM does not play it down, if not celebrating it like the biggest diplomatic success ever. 

Trump supporters being focused on Trump rather than the actual issue is nothing new.

• Sad 2

22 minutes ago, Catoni said:

I guess there is no more argument about Obamas drone war anymore? Right? 

Drone war is a war we never wanted, but we do not want public terror bombinG either, so apples and oranges. 

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Possibly my imagination, but it does appear that in the age of Trump things are really getting done out in the ME. It seemed about five minutes into his Presidency and he already wiped out ISIS, who we remember were the worlds numero uno threat under Trumps predecessor, with no hope whatsoever to defeat them, it seemed hopeless. Now we are having historic peace deals between Israel and fellow ME states, it seems surreal. I suppose peace in the ME is a bad thing because it was Trump and his art of the deal that won where drone strikes and weasel words failed? Whatever. Well done Trump, you deserve an award for making the world a safer and more peaceful place. 

Yep, just your imagination.

ISIS  is not quite "wiped out", try and follow the USA's military take on that. The main effort to contain ISIS and put in place the forces, strategy and effort to win is anchored in Obama's term. Like USA economy, the newly elected Trump reaped what others have sown. Trump did not "wipe out" ISIS himself, and the situation was not "hopeless" as you claim.

The agreement between the UAE and Israel is not "peace deal", as there was no state of war between the two. Economic relations were carried out for years, as an open secret. Surreal only to those not knowing much about ME affairs.

• Like 1

Israeli politicians are well known for talking too much. Kinda doubt all them other countries mentioned as candidates are thrilled being officially outed. It's one thing when it appears on media sources, commentaries and such, quite different when an official brags about it. Hopefully, for the interests of all sides, this would not result in setbacks.

UAE is formalizing ties that will benefit investments with Israel but does little for the Palestine problem. Trump simply scored a hallow victory with no peace achieved for the troubled Middle East and little benefit for the Palestine. All the key Arab players and US are speaking on Palestine behalf but still not talking to them. Just lip service to the Palestine issue. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

UAE is formalizing ties that will benefit investments with Israel but does little for the Palestine problem. Trump simply scored a hallow victory with no peace achieved for the troubled Middle East and little benefit for the Palestine. All the key Arab players and US are speaking on Palestine behalf but still not talking to them. Just lip service to the Palestine issue. 

ME issues encompass more than the "Palestinian problem". Those that are intent on seeing it only through this spectrum are bound to be surprised by some moves. It is true that in the past, many ME countries used the Palestinian cause as a political tool, for both domestic and foreign relations purposes. Over time, though, the paradigm seems to have shifted some. The usefulness, validity and viability of this construct is not what it used to be. Hence, other options come up.

It is quite possible that not all ME issues are solvable, and obviously the priority list is different for various countries involved. Given that the Palestinians themselves are split, and that both their leaderships seem unable to generate a realistic alternative to their routine - why would a country not directly involved be obliged to futile support and putting their interests before its own?

I don't know about Arab countries and the USA speaking for the Palestinians, you'd have to be clearer on what's meant by that. With regard to the UAE, though, it was Abbas who pretty much severed ties a while back.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Morch said:

ME issues encompass more than the "Palestinian problem". Those that are intent on seeing it only through this spectrum are bound to be surprised by some moves. It is true that in the past, many ME countries used the Palestinian cause as a political tool, for both domestic and foreign relations purposes. Over time, though, the paradigm seems to have shifted some. The usefulness, validity and viability of this construct is not what it used to be. Hence, other options come up.

It is quite possible that not all ME issues are solvable, and obviously the priority list is different for various countries involved. Given that the Palestinians themselves are split, and that both their leaderships seem unable to generate a realistic alternative to their routine - why would a country not directly involved be obliged to futile support and putting their interests before its own?

I don't know about Arab countries and the USA speaking for the Palestinians, you'd have to be clearer on what's meant by that. With regard to the UAE, though, it was Abbas who pretty much severed ties a while back.

My reference is with the Kushner's peace plan for the Middle East which is centered solely on finding peace between Israel and Palestine. Middle East problems are complex and not entirely geopolitics tension but on oil.

UAE officials have claimed that the agreement with Israel is to halt its annexation plan for the illegal occupied West Bank. This was never in the agreement as Netanyahu openly said that annexation was still very much on the table and plans were only temporary suspended. Really no seriousness in UAE nor Israel to commit on their plan to settle on illegal occupied land. Palestinians still hope that the Arab states wouldn't normalise their relationship with Israel until a final agreement on statehood. It did'nt prevent UAE and USA to use the Palestine cause for their own political agenda. 

Palestine may be split within themselves on policies but they will come together when their cry for statehood is being use as lip service by concerning countries. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

My reference is with the Kushner's peace plan for the Middle East which is centered solely on finding peace between Israel and Palestine. Middle East problems are complex and not entirely geopolitics tension but on oil.

UAE officials have claimed that the agreement with Israel is to halt its annexation plan for the illegal occupied West Bank. This was never in the agreement as Netanyahu openly said that annexation was still very much on the table and plans were only temporary suspended. Really no seriousness in UAE nor Israel to commit on their plan to settle on illegal occupied land. Palestinians still hope that the Arab states wouldn't normalise their relationship with Israel until a final agreement on statehood. It did'nt prevent UAE and USA to use the Palestine cause for their own political agenda. 

Palestine may be split within themselves on policies but they will come together when their cry for statehood is being use as lip service by concerning countries. 

As opposed to what you contend, Kushner's plan was much more ambitious than that, opting for general peace between Israel and its neighbors. The main thrust was to more closely align forces opposed to Iran, with the Palestinian issue being more of an obstacle than the main goal.

What Netanyahu states for domestic purposes is one thing, what he actually does is another. Wouldn't be the first instance of such, not even if counting only through Trump's term. This move actually got him off the hook, as the annexation drive wasn't popular among Israelis, nor internationally. But you are right with the comments about the Palestinian issues not being the main feature or underlying basis for the current agreement.

Still not getting what was that "speaking for the Palestinian" about. And as for the Palestinians coming together, I kinda doubt you're basing this assumption on more than wishful thinking.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Morch said:

As opposed to what you contend, Kushner's plan was much more ambitious than that, opting for general peace between Israel and its neighbors. The main thrust was to more closely align forces opposed to Iran, with the Palestinian issue being more of an obstacle than the main goal.

What Netanyahu states for domestic purposes is one thing, what he actually does is another. Wouldn't be the first instance of such, not even if counting only through Trump's term. This move actually got him off the hook, as the annexation drive wasn't popular among Israelis, nor internationally. But you are right with the comments about the Palestinian issues not being the main feature or underlying basis for the current agreement.

Still not getting what was that "speaking for the Palestinian" about. And as for the Palestinians coming together, I kinda doubt you're basing this assumption on more than wishful thinking.

This summary of the peace plan below will better explain its primary aim and also explain the what I meant that the participants were speaking on the Palestine behalf without their participation.

The Trump peace plan (officially titled "Peace to Prosperity: A Vision to Improve the Lives of the Palestinian and Israeli People") is a proposal by the Trump administration to resolve the Israeli–Palestinian conflict. Donald Trump formally unveiled the plan in a White House press conference alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahuon 28 January 2020, although no Palestinianauthorities were invited for negotiations.[1]

6 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Possibly my imagination, but it does appear that in the age of Trump things are really getting done out in the ME. It seemed about five minutes into his Presidency and he already wiped out ISIS, who we remember were the worlds numero uno threat under Trumps predecessor, with no hope whatsoever to defeat them, it seemed hopeless. Now we are having historic peace deals between Israel and fellow ME states, it seems surreal. I suppose peace in the ME is a bad thing because it was Trump and his art of the deal that won where drone strikes and weasel words failed? Whatever. Well done Trump, you deserve an award for making the world a safer and more peaceful place. 

Nobelian events taking shape!

Edited by riclag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, userabcd said:

One wonders what bribes, influence, pressure the US has exerted on Israel's behalf to achieve this so Trump and Pompeo can look good.

One wonders if posters are aware that unofficial relations were in place for years now. Or as to the USA interest being to kill the annexation thing. Or that forming alliances between anti-Iranian forces serves all parties involved. And so on and so forth....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This summary of the peace plan below will better explain its primary aim and also explain the what I meant that the participants were speaking on the Palestine behalf without their participation.

The Trump peace plan (officially titled "Peace to Prosperity: A Vision to Improve the Lives of the Palestinian and Israeli People") is a proposal by the Trump administration to resolve the Israeli–Palestinian conflict. Donald Trump formally unveiled the plan in a White House press conference alongside Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahuon 28 January 2020, although no Palestinianauthorities were invited for negotiations.[1]

This isn't a summary, and it doesn't convey the whole scope of the plan. That the Palestinians weren't part of formulating this plan had something to do with their own decision not to engage. Either way, can't see how that's speaking for the Palestinians, or "on the Palestinians' behalf". Still on idea what you meant.