Two year old left all day in a van: Driver/teacher on duty face negligence causing death charges

webfact

Two year old left all day in a van: Driver/teacher on duty face negligence causing death charges

6pm.jpg

Picture: INN

The RTP's deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen said that the van driver and a duty teacher have been charged with negligence causing death in the case of two year old Kongbin who died on Saturday. 

The boy was forgotten and left in a van most of the day at a school in southern Thailand. 

His mother had taken him to the school van as normal at 7.14 am on Tuesday of last week. At 1.30 pm she was concerned when she didn't see him doing class activities in a post on the Line application. 

She asked where he was and was told by the class teacher that her son had not come to school that day. 

He was found in the van in a coma. 

He was taken to Phipoon Hospital in Nakhon Sri Thammarat then transferred to Maharat Hospital where four days later he died. 

The two people responsible face a jail term of 10 years and or 200,000 baht in fines. 

INN reported that some while back the RTP chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had initiated a project called "Don't Forget Little Ones on the Bus" after other incidents of this nature. 

The project was supposed to raise awareness of the need for multiple checks and proper procedures to ensure there were no further tragedies of this nature.

Despite this, cases like this continue, note Thaivisa. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-17

• Sad 7

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

An absolute disgrace that this happened, how many more?

Every few months a dead child, due to van driver/ teacher being lazy and not caring.

What ever happened to duty of care???

It does not exist here, me, me, me, to hell with being responsible, thats not my problem.

Sadly not just here, same in Cairns Oz Feb this year....E34BCACA-A899-4926-9D7F-D5355234159B.thumb.png.8b7a53f088bfa2a7997e58cfdd07e440.png

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

A few times there's been overnight camps, son returns the 'permission to attend' forms with a note that he will accompany the school bus and stay until bedtime, then he brings the kid home and takes back to the camp site early next morning. 

What's the point  of not letting the kid camp out overnight with school friends at a supervised camp site ?  seems a bit odd to me  unless he changes into a pumpkin at midnight ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, johng said:

What's the point  of not letting the kid camp out overnight with school friends at a supervised camp site ?  seems a bit odd to me  unless he changes into a pumpkin at midnight ????

I can understand. I was one of the teachers at a supervised camp site a couple of years ago. There were supposed to be teachers on stag, on a rota, all night. I drew the 0400 - 0600 stag. I got my head down early, set my alarm for 0340, got up, made a brew, and went to look for the bloke I was relieving. Found him in his pit. It turns out that when the kids were asleep they split a bottle of whisky and then all got their heads down for the night.  No one up all through the night. I did some serious <deleted> taking the next day, night 2 they all did their stags!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, johng said:

Simple reason, well proven the teachers at the camp do no supervision / monitoring and there have been several incidents of bullying and more during the night.  

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Count the kids IN and count them when they get out of the van,

you would have thought they would have learnt by now. 2 years old ! RIP little one.

regards worgeordie

And this little mite was sat in the most easiest seat to see  as the side door was closed.

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is one of the reasons we take, and pick up our grandson from school everyday ourselves. Having witnessed the lackadaisical efforts provided by these vans, I wouldn't trust any of them with him. 

For the very same reasons we (my Wife and I) will not use the Mini-van service for our sons school and insist on taking him and picking him up personally. 

To add to this, the vans do not use child seats and don’ care if the children are restrained or not.  

And... to add to this some more.... 

When my son was about 5 years old he was due on a school trip to a butter-fly farm. 

I e-mailed the school ask for their safety policy regarding seat belt / child seats etc, they forwarded my questions on to the Bus company (Montri).

The response was not unexpected: They pointed out that it is the passengers responsibly to put on seatbelts and use a car seat if they want. 

They also e-mailed me their procedures and checks, which, I suspect they believed were professional, in reality it showed how much disregard they had for safety. 

One of their safety points was to breathalise the driver each morning and if he was found to be drunk he would be suspended for the day !!!... Yes... only suspended and only for the day !!!!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:
8 hours ago, webfact said:

INN reported that some while back the RTP chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had initiated a project called "Don't Forget Little Ones on the Bus" after other incidents of this nature. 

The project was supposed to raise awareness of the need for multiple checks and proper procedures to ensure there were no further tragedies of this nature.

Despite this, cases like this continue, note Thaivisa. 

Would be interesting to see full details of this 'project', including what checks were made compulsory and whether they were actually conducted.

Or perhaps it was just words from the top cop but no actual process, no resources, and zero follow up etc. unfortunately I think I already know the answer. 

My Thai son has 3 school aged kids, son and his wife and sometimes me drive the kids to school, make sure they go to their class rooms and family car always at school 20 minutes early for pick up and parked in the same position so never any confusion.

All of this generated by my son. His buddies make snide comments about 'too serious', son ignores them.

A few times there's been overnight camps, son returns the 'permission to attend' forms with a note that he will accompany the school bus and stay until bedtime, then he brings the kid home and takes back to the camp site early next morning. 

School head/class teacher/camp organizing staff have given son some nasty comments about disrespect for the school staff. He ignores them.

The project was an absolute farce and in a very ‘Thai manner’ avoided tackling the issue face on and placing any of the responsibility on the children themselves !!!!! - A real W...TF moment !!! 

Instead of focusing on driver training and supervision it focused on teaching children how to use the horn if they are locked in a van !!!!!! 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/918640-school-trains-thai-kids-about-being-locked-in-vans/

https://twitter.com/thaischoollife/status/736433236180537344

This issue along with child drownings are way way too common and come down to pure laziness of adults the adults under the childrens care. 

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30369322?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

My Thai son has 3 school aged kids, son and his wife and sometimes me drive the kids to school, make sure they go to their class rooms and family car always at school 20 minutes early for pick up and parked in the same position so never any confusion.

All of this generated by my son. His buddies make snide comments about 'too serious', son ignores them.

School head/class teacher/camp organizing staff have given son some nasty comments about disrespect for the school staff. He ignores them.

Your son is clearly one of those who takes their parental roll seriously, those around him offering nasty comments are clearly absolute out and out idiots. 

I too would be very conscious of any over night trip and want to see exactly what measures are in place and have direct lines of communication with the person in charge. 

My Son, at 6 years old has had sleep overs at friends houses, even as early as 4 years old, but I trust the parents of his friend implicitly, they are well known to my Wife and I. Their children have also had sleepovers at our place. 

Staying away from home can be good for kids, especially with developing some independence - but we have to be very careful. I don’t quite see the need for it at school until they approach 8 years old or so, and only then with very specific checks and measures. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

That's ok for 5 minutes then like the "bird-brains" they are everything is forgotten and the same thing happens again.

• Like 1