What charities do you donate too

kingstonkid

38 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Bamboo for me was an instant 'I'm out' due to their recurring 'God is number one' theme - I could not support a place that pushes one religion down the throats of very vulnerable children. They also recommend for 2 and 3 week volunteers you have to come on a tourist visa and don't mention work. This is just wrong advice and could get you into real trouble with immigration.

A bit harsh saying religion is pushed down children's throats, They can make their own minds up, and many keep their own religion.

2 minutes ago, JWRC said:

A bit harsh saying religion is pushed down children's throats, They can make their own minds up, and many keep their own religion.

I visited an orphanage operated by a Christian organisation, donated goods rather than cash as was suggested to me. So I took towels, pens, toothpaste and brushes etc. I went a couple of times until it was made clear that the kids had to live as Christians. At Christmas they used to tour the hotels singing carols. They were Buddhist kids and I wasn’t comfortable with their situation. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, JWRC said:

I agree with Saltire Any charity that mentions God, or any other religious affiliations, I avoid. I particular avoid temples and monks. The are just a means of propaganda. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

I visited an orphanage operated by a Christian organisation, donated goods rather than cash as was suggested to me. So I took towels, pens, toothpaste and brushes etc. I went a couple of times until it was made clear that the kids had to live as Christians. At Christmas they used to tour the hotels singing carols. They were Buddhist kids and I wasn’t comfortable with their situation. 

plain propaganda and brain washing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JWRC said:

Possibly, but that's the way their website came accross to me.

'School Rules

God is Number One, so take care of His school and its environment.The children belong to God. Your lifestyle and choices will impact our children so we require:'

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Possibly, but that's the way their website came accross to me.

'School Rules

God is Number One, so take care of His school and its environment.The children belong to God. Your lifestyle and choices will impact our children so we require:'

And this - note BYOB ????

We are a place for training God’s future workers so your presence with us should add to our children’s training. If the Lord calls you to come, it must be with a specific purpose in mind, either a specific project or with the plan to help in the practical things of everyday life, like baby care, cooking, washing dishes, carrying water, gardening, landscaping, construction, teaching, medical work, etc. Plan to live like we live – we are vegetarian, and have a basic vegetarian diet with rice for every meal. If you would like bread, feel free to bring your own.

Edited by Saltire

12 minutes ago, Saltire said:

We are a place for training God’s future workers so your presence with us should add to our children’s training. If the Lord calls you to come, it must be with a specific purpose in mind, either a specific project or with the plan to help in the practical things of everyday life, like baby care, cooking, washing dishes, carrying water, gardening, landscaping, construction, teaching, medical work, etc. Plan to live like we live – we are vegetarian, and have a basic vegetarian diet with rice for every meal. If you would like bread, feel free to bring your own.

vegetarians as well; it just gets worse.  All we need now is a set of Vegans and we have the full set of deluded souls. 

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

After 5 years at an NGO school in Cambodia I came here hoping to continue in some way, only finding out voluteers are classed as workers and need a special volunteer visa. None of the above mention this.

The same when the Tsunami I met some guys building homes and shelter for the homeless on a volunteer basis then all of a sudden they clamped down and made people get work permits

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

The same when the Tsunami I met some guys building homes and shelter for the homeless on a volunteer basis then all of a sudden they clamped down and made people get work permits

We can hardly blame the authorities for this.  You can bet that if they didn't have that rule, some low life farangs would have a scam going in days.  The history in this place is teeming with such scams, from foreigners living here, often illegally and scamming others. Yes, the Thais do it as well, but the well known mafia wars of several years back in Pattaya and in Phuket showed the scale of the problem. If people genuinely want to do volunteer work here, it's not complicated (in normal pre covid times) to get the appropriate visa and  short term work permit. My eldest kids did that for a few years during their school/ Uni holidays.     

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

That looks more like nutty evangelicals than just a religious organisation. I’d run a mile

• Like 1

On my travels in late '70 we were on a train going from Delhi to Madras. Sharing the compartment were 2 Indian Airforce pilots , 0ne was reading a newspaper and it showed a picture of the top dog's luxury house , the top dog being the head of the biggest charity in the UK. It told of how much this head was taking for himself.   Another article in the same paper was about a grain ship arriving at an Indian port ( Calcutta ? ) The authorities wanted a fee for the tying up and emptying of the container ship.  The captain said it was free grain for starving people , he had no money for dock fees.   The grain started to grow after a week or two and it got dumped in the sea.

My charity goes mainly in tips for the locals where I eat , street food etc.  Every Little Helps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Wasnt that after six weeks when all the shelters had been built ?

Most are scamming frauds.

When looking for my condo in 2014 I asked the agent who could afford to pay 120000 to 140,000 baht a month for the condos near the embassies in Chitlom... He replied many are rented to govts, a lot to charities...

I was amazed...saw same in Australia. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Saltire said:

Baan UnRak though seems like an ok choice as their philosphy is more spiritual along the lines of Buddhism, encouraging meditation and love. This I feel is more culturally appropriate for Thai kids. Will look into them a bit more.

After 5 years at an NGO school in Cambodia I came here hoping to continue in some way, only finding out voluteers are classed as workers and need a special volunteer visa. None of the above mention this.

Baan Unrak is non-denominational. They don't mind whether you are Muslim, Buddhist, Christian, or whatever. They use daily meditation as a way for the children to find balance and peace. Many have experienced a lot of trauma, and meditation is one of the tools they use to help with this. If you live near Sangklaburi, you can visit their restaurant and bakery. There you can talk with someone about a visit to the actual home/school. You're heart will melt, and your mind will be blown. It's such an amazing place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I donate to a children’s orphanage in Pattaya. My girlfriend and I will be delivering needed supplies next month. Monks in my opinion just a bunch of men too lazy to get a job. Don’t see any evidence of them doing anything for the people of Thailand. I will admit however to bending to the will of the girlfriend and leaving a little donation when visiting temples on Buddha days.

15 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

That's a bit rude in my opinion I am a pensioner living in OZ now, I don't have any 

family I still donate to 'Doctors Without Frontiers' Red Cross,Salvation Army and

animal protection. No point saving any money (which I don't have a lot of) and lose

it all when I kick the bucket.

Well I have family a big one so therefore there's no money left for anyone else nothing rude about that. 

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Very good , thank you .

I programmed a monthly donation to Soi Dog .

Do you have a link to Paws ?

The way i see these dog charities near me, the people living off this money ( if you think the dogs get all the benefit wrong) have nice trucks and houses with swimming pools all paid for by your money. They also fill their place with barking yapping dogs.

Edited by brianthainess

I give my empty bottles to a young kid up the road, comes on a push bike, she also delivers 20 lit water  bottles with a hand cart she makes 8 baht. i admire any kids willing to do a bit of work as i did when a kid, but not at only 10 yrs old. The last place would be dogs before humans.

• Like 1

Regular charities?  Just about never.  Too much money goes to administrative costs in most charities which in other words means that some people make their living by running charities, and a very lucrative living at that.  Then suddenly 80%+ goes to 'administrative costs" (salaries) and a little of the money makes it to whatever the charity supports. Most are scams in my humble opinion. 

If I feel like giving locally I give to Adopt Me-ow Chiangmai.  These folks are doing some great humanitarian work for cats and kittens on a shoe-string budget and making it work.  Kudos. It's the way it should be done.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1