Joint ticketing system for public transport expected in October

webfact

Joint ticketing system for public transport expected in October

By The Nation

800_1522b5570acc662.jpg?v=1597911045

The development of a joint ticketing system for public transport planned by the Transport Ministry has been delayed because the Singapore company working on it is unable to test the system due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

However, it is expected to go into operation by October.

Chaiwat Thongkamkoon, the ministry's permanent secretary, said the joint ticketing system will be developed in two phases. The first phase will link the BTS Skytrain and MRT and cut down on the 1 million BTS tickets and over 200,000 MRT tickets that are in circulation.

The second phase will allow the use of credit and debit cards so tourists travelling in Thailand can tap their cards when using the BTS, MRT, taxis or boats. However, he said, this phase needs to be discussed and a framework set up, which can only be done after the first phase is completed.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393265

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-20

• Confused 1

The junta promised that this would happen in 2015 so they are only 5 years late if it actually happens. What I found unbelievable was the BTS replacing their ticket machines a year or so ago but still requiring coins in most machines. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Searat7 said:

The junta promised that this would happen in 2015 so they are only 5 years late if it actually happens. What I found unbelievable was the BTS replacing their ticket machines a year or so ago but still requiring coins in most machines. 

You can't fiddle card transactions, but cash is easily channeled elsewhere.

1 hour ago, theoldgit said:

Currently older people, Thai and Foreigner, can travel with a 50% discount using the MRT card, but only Thai people enjoy the discount on the BTS, I wonder what the discount will be on the new card, if any.

It's not a new card, despite what the images show, it's interoperation of the existing Rabbit and MRT cards.

When Rabbit is used on the MRT or the MRT Card is used on the BTS only Adult full fare will be charged, your aged discount doesn't follow you.

You also won't be able to top up "other system" cards.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's not a new card, despite what the images show, it's interoperation of the existing Rabbit and MRT cards.

Yeah, I would think the large amount of non-transit Rabbit Card Infrastructure that's been installed would make it impractical for BTS and many of its customers to switch to Mangmoom. So does this plan mean that the Mangmoom concept is officially dead (after never coming to life in the first place)?

12 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Yeah, I would think the large amount of non-transit Rabbit Card Infrastructure that's been installed would make it impractical for BTS and many of its customers to switch to Mangmoom. So does this plan mean that the Mangmoom concept is officially dead (after never coming to life in the first place)?

I can neither confirm nor deny the "death" of Mangmoom :whistling:

The system using contactless EMV (credit cards) is currently using the moniker "Mangmoom 4.0" but exactly how it's all going to work is in a massive state of flux. I will probably have retired (yeah, fat chance of that) before it really happens, although the Red Line is being touted as a pilot project (Rabbit and MRT will also work on Red).

It's also unclear just how Rabbit Line-Pay linked cards will work on the MRT as it doesn't have the infrastucture in place to link to the RLP servers.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

They already can.

Really, which system?

The system being touted is not simply use your card to top-up or pay for a ticket, it's actually using a contactless EMV card to travel, no smart cards or tickets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Really, which system?

The system being touted is not simply use your card to top-up or pay for a ticket, it's actually using a contactless EMV card to travel, no smart cards or tickets.

Got a new Bangkok bank card when needed to change to 6 digits instead of 4, can be used as Rabbit card too.

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Got a new Bangkok bank card when needed to change to 6 digits instead of 4, can be used as Rabbit card too.

Yup, that's a very special card.

It is not a normal contactless EMV card, only BKK Bank issue these cards.

EDIT Since you have one is is now linked to your bank account or do you still need to maintain a separate Rabbit / Line-Pay balance?

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yup, that's a very special card.

It is not a normal contactless EMV card, only BKK Bank issue these cards.

EDIT Since you have one is is now linked to your bank account or do you still need to maintain a separate Rabbit / Line-Pay balance?

Linked to my bank account. Still use my old MRT and BTS cards though, lol. Travel mostly by taxi.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Which year?

Indeed. I read it was going to be introduced last year. And the year before. And possibly the year before that. Why is it that, so often, Thailand is many years behind introducing something that has been working for many years in other major cities around the world?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why is it that, so often, Thailand is many years behind introducing something that has been working for many years in other major cities around the world?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Officially the delays and rethinks have been down to "commercial reasons".

Whith the government driving the process it may actually happen this time (maybe not in October).

• Haha 1