Why are Toyota Cars, which are Manufactured in Thailand So Expensive?

Banana7

I checked prices for the Toyota Fortuner. It starts at 1.3 million TBH, which is very cheap compared to prices of similar cars in Europe. Did you check other models? Is your example really made in Thailand or imported?

Edited by dimitriv

You can get the answer to this question by visiting any new dealer in Thailand.  Look at the price sticker pasted on the window. My 2018 Revo had a 4% VAT added to the sales price.  Most all the cars have VAT rates between 10-20+%, mostly depending on size of engine.

https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/New-Excise-Tax-Rates-on-Cars

I'm of the opinion that the best vehicle deals are on trucks, where the price seems competitive (or better) than US prices.  My Toyota REVO drove off the lot for 745,000 Baht with one year full coverage insurance, Toyota bedliner, Toyota window film, floor mats, and a few promotional freebies thrown in.  I've driven a few Toyota Tacomas in the US and I feel the Thai Revo is as good a truck, especially for the price.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

not all the components will be manufactured here, some will be imported and so add to the cost. They are assembled here, which is not quite the same thing.  They are certainly cheaper than in the UK, not by much admittedly. Toyota will price them to attain maximum market penetration while maximizing profit. It's the market place that dictates the price that can be asked. To answer the OP question directly; they are, because they can be.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

All Thai built cars are also approx 30% cheaper in Australia.

A Corolla Accent Hybrid is 620,000 baht.

???????????? but not for cars.

Spot on. just look at Camry prices. Eye watering  ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, dimitriv said:

I checked prices for the Toyota Fortuner. It starts at 1.3 million TBH, which is very cheap compared to prices of similar cars in Europe. Did you check other models? Is your example really made in Thailand or imported?

Here is the VIN plate from a Corolla, indicating made in Thailand.

AltisVIN2019G1600s.jpg

Edited by Banana7

5 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Overview the Tax You Paid back home on Your Earnings. A Thai with a mid range but good job pays a pittance. Car Tax here isn't your business. The Government Tax to suit Thai Nationals, not our piddly disgusting pensions.

Someone commenting on a forum designed for discussion that this discussion is none of our business !!! 

erm..,, 

• Like 2

On 8/21/2020 at 7:49 AM, eppic said:

Whelp, it's something like this:

1. Import duties (tax)

2. Excise tax and VAT

3. Lack of scale

Auto manufacturers are subject to local content laws in virtually all developing countries.

Vehicles can be assembled in a variety of "kits" such as CKD (complete knockdown) or SKD (semi-knockdown).  The amount of local content varies by the type of kit and some other factors, such availability of acceptable quality locally sourced parts.  The more parts sourced outside the country, the lower the local content, the higher the import duties.  Of course, the manufacturers don't want basically all parts to be imported then quickly slapped together with minimal local labor. Then there are excise taxes that vary by type of vehicle and engine size

So:

fully imported vehicle (completely built up or "CBU") = VERY VERY expensive, can be 2-3 times US/Europe prices

SKD = VERY expensive due to limited local content

CKD = moderately expensive depending on how man parts can be sourced locally.

Cheap labor is not really a big factor in the equation, this is dwarfed by taxes.

With local content requirements, local suppliers are typically very inefficient compared to global suppliers, so costs go up.

Another reason is because of the capital intensity of the business, plants most have reasonably high volume to produce at a profitable level. 

So, US/European/Japanese/Korean cars will almost always be more expensive in developing countries than the OEM home country, although some OEMs are willing to sell at a loss for a period of time to gain market share or far what is often foolishly called "strategic reasons"

There you have it

The other thing is that there is high import tax charged on the SKD & CKD kits for the Thai assembler, which is refunded when the completed car is exported.  But not if the car is sold in Thailand. Then there is local tax as well.  So the same car assembled in Thailand costs more in Thailand than when it is exported and sold in Australia, for example

• Thanks 1

Its only a concern to folks who come here and can only get low paid Teaching Jobs. Ferangs who are sent here by US, Euro and Australian companies never whinge here on TV. They dont live in Fan Rooms and enjoy a Life, not an Existence on the Cheap. Its not any Business of Guests here in Thailand what Taxation  they see fit to levy.

• Thanks 2

TAX is the simple answer. The bigger the engine, the more conveniences, the more luxurious, the more tax. Cheapest prices go to farm trucks with 2 doors (no seat behind the driver), small engines and leaf springs. Still there is a large TAX.

• Like 1

Even cars assembled in Thailand have a tax added. The parts that come into Thailand get an import tax of about 30% so that is one reason as most of the parts are imported then assembled in Thailand. There is also a 7% VAT added on so even though the labor costs are low the added taxes make most of the cars more expensive. 

I just bought a top spec Mazda CX30 at 1,199,000 which is about $38,000 US. The same car in the US is $32,000 and in the US the car has a 2.5 liter engine with AWD and here in Thailand it has a 2 liter engine and no AWD so it's not just Toyota.

• Like 2

Most everything is more expensive here in Thailand than the USA except for labor which is noticeably cheaper.  

This is the suggested retail price of a Camry in the USA vs the suggested retail price of the Camry here in Thailand At a 31.5 exchange rate that makes the USA Camry 769,387.50 thb.  Not just a little difference but double. Also in the USA cars never sell for their full Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price 

image.png.c4ef1c6fed48f6b27b9078fb09fc2423.png

image.png.df9389f8378bca08e5e28421102b7824.png

• Like 1

They have like a gazillion people working for them that dont need to be there. Someones gotta pay them and they like to act like they have a 1st class service to the customers. makes me sick and i dont get it. For this reason i wont buy another Toyota. If i buy a car i dont need phone calls to talk about every couple months.

They dont even offer better engine options or models of interest to me. They suck!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Same with BMW.

Always thought they were imported, when i bought my most recent one M3 sport, i just thought it was because it was an import, being aware there were some factories in THAILAND for certain brands, to my shock after 6000klm and 4 months later, on deciding to change to another BMW (upgrade) and learning it had already lost 1m+ in costs, i also learned to my horror that it was manufactured in Thailand, thinking it was manufactured in Germany, and having no cost cutting or other for safety.

So it does make you question the high increase as domestically built.

Yes, our Toyota Fortuner TRD had a list price of 1.7M Baht.  Could probably buy a BMW X5 here in the UK for that. Hugely expensive.

Trucks (pick-ups) seem reasonably priced, if one of those appeals to you.

• Like 2