Why are Thailand's roads so deadly? - Sky News UK

soi3eddie

4 minutes ago, SteveK said:

To be honest, I can count on one hand the times I've seen a Thai wearing a Shoei or Arai helmet around here. They use the 200 baht ones from Big C which are about as much use an an ice cream tub on your head. 

The Thai helmets make sure the pieces of the heads stay together in (mostly) one place. It's much easier to pick them up like that from the road.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

To be honest, I can count on one hand the times I've seen a Thai wearing a Shoei or Arai helmet around here. They use the 200 baht ones from Big C which are about as much use an an ice cream tub on your head. Last helmet I bought in the UK cost me £350.

I see more big bike riders with good helmets these days.I saw some accidents where a helmet or not would not make any difference.

The last go helmet i had here was stolen in a day.

17 hours ago, Sundown said:

Simply because there are a lot of motorcycles. Looking around I might say that on 100 vehicles, 70 are motorbikes. While in other places like Europe USA etc on 100 vehicles maybe just 5 are motorbikes. 

The level of safety features built into cars compared to 50 years ago. Seat belts, switches and controls designed to eliminate puncture wounds. Collapsing steering wheels, air bags, crumple zones etc. The only safety enhancement I’ve seen on bikes is the removal of the front number plate that used to slice into pedestrians.

There used to be an old saying that if smoking and alcohol were only discovered today they would be outlawed. Surely with a statistic as enlightening as the number of deaths and injuries relative to the mode of transport, motorbikes would be banned outright.

Alas  the sensible riders would then suffer.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal.

16 hours ago, DaLa said:

The level of safety features built into cars compared to 50 years ago. Seat belts, switches and controls designed to eliminate puncture wounds. Collapsing steering wheels, air bags, crumple zones etc. The only safety enhancement I’ve seen on bikes is the removal of the front number plate that used to slice into pedestrians.

There used to be an old saying that if smoking and alcohol were only discovered today they would be outlawed. Surely with a statistic as enlightening as the number of deaths and injuries relative to the mode of transport, motorbikes would be banned outright.

Alas  the sensible riders would then suffer.

Turn your BOLD off please DaLa.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

To be honest, I can count on one hand the times I've seen a Thai wearing a Shoei or Arai helmet around here. They use the 200 baht ones from Big C which are about as much use an an ice cream tub on your head. Last helmet I bought in the UK cost me £350.

Before coming to Thailand, I wandered into the Shoei headquarters in Tustin, CA, hit it off what a guy to turned out to be the West Coast district manager, and walked out with 2 ST Cruz half helmets for $150!

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Actually some roads are to blame. Poor surfaces, holes, and often huge colourful warnings for a slight bend, and then no warning for a tight bend.

But yeah, for sure it's the nutters who are 99% to blame.

After 20 years riding and 14 years driving in Bangkok, I'm feel privileged to still be alive.

And don´t forget the on the street jumping power poles and trees ????