"The bodies keep mounting up on Thailand's roads" - damning report airing on UK TV

rooster59

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It should be easier to control the traffic than a virus...

The lock down controlled the people for 3 months, after that freedom of movement was largely given back and up went the statistics again.

It is a proven fact they cannot control the people on the roads or change their habits of a life time.

In the video the driver who ploughed into the shop killing the father & seriously injuring the girl is a typical instance. One year in jail and no compensation... ridiculous !

Should have been manslaughter in the least.

Insurance companies are as much to blame for the hard ship faced by the victims... They scam people for premiums but never pay-out when an accident takes place.

• Like 1

I would guess that 90% of the fatal road accidents involves motorbikes and drunk driving.  So it is not a matter of YOUR skills to operate a vehicle but of just good luck not being wiped of the road by others.

So how to handle this matter: heavy penalties, loss of driving licence, loss of vehicles, prison terms without suspension... I know, wishful thinking and will take a long time.

Until then I will not drive on a bike or motorbike by myself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"The bodies keep mounting up on Thailand's roads"

And it will continue to do so unless at least two things change: the police actually start doing their job of enforcing traffic rules and regulations, and drivers don't get a license without proper training. Neither will probably happen any time soon, so the carnage will go on, and on, and on.

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Do Sky realise the ones who dont die at the scene are not added to the list? would be a lot higher if that was the case

Thats it in Thailand, die in hospital from the crash and you are not counted in the road toll.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

The only true part of this video is that the deathtoll is high. But to compare it with the actions against covid, I think this is going too far. Even a country like Germany has more people die on the road then because of the virus and there the deathtoll of the virus is a few hundred times higher then in Thailand and the country is considered safe.

If Thailand were to deal with that they should just shut off all traffic. And apart from that... how often I see people driving wearing a mask but no helmet?

Like already mentioned above, the lack of proper training is according to me the main reason why there are so many accidents. The roads are not dangerous, it is the people on it who even don't know any basic traffic rules. I got my Thai drivers licence last year and it is just a joke. That licence doesn't proof anything. This is one of the few things the government should start changing. A requirement of a minimum amount of lessons and at an examn proof that you learned those lessons and not just some stupid parking and driving backwards.

Germany has around 3000 traffic deaths a year, at a population of 82 millions. In average 8 people killed per day in traffic, totally on spot and later in hospital. In Thailand 76 per day on the road, and nobody counts the deaths who died later in hospital.

Germany has currently between 4 an 10 deaths per day caused by or with Covid. Nobody knows the corresponding number from Thailand, as the official numbers ar censored for political purposes, and as very few tests are done.

I guess in Thailand there are also around 10 deaths caused by/with Covid every day now. But the diagnosis will be pneumonia, heart attact, thrombosis, most times probably. Never Covid, of course, because no tests. Very few patients are tested, no deceased persons are tested.

• Like 1

On the 17th driving with my wife and extended family from Bangkok to Pran Buri I witnessed a Thai Highway Police vehicle pulling over a speeding truck.  The first time in 12 years of driving here.  I had to clap my hands quickly and regrasped the wheel.  No cargo and the typical short cab and body with that aluminum design body work.  That same truck caught up with us on Petchkasem Road in Petchaburi.  My speed was between 90 and 95 kph.

Edited by Fortean1
typos

After the millions that will watch this report by Sky, I wonder how many will be rushing to book there long awaited holiday to Thailand when and if they ever reopen the boarders.

Let's see if TAT can put a figure on that. 555

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thaijack2014 said:

The only true part of this video is that the deathtoll is high. But to compare it with the actions against covid, I think this is going too far. Even a country like Germany has more people die on the road then because of the virus and there the deathtoll of the virus is a few hundred times higher then in Thailand and the country is considered safe.

If Thailand were to deal with that they should just shut off all traffic. And apart from that... how often I see people driving wearing a mask but no helmet?

Like already mentioned above, the lack of proper training is according to me the main reason why there are so many accidents. The roads are not dangerous, it is the people on it who even don't know any basic traffic rules. I got my Thai drivers licence last year and it is just a joke. That licence doesn't proof anything. This is one of the few things the government should start changing. A requirement of a minimum amount of lessons and at an examn proof that you learned those lessons and not just some stupid parking and driving backwards.

Like everything else 'on road' the licence test is just another money grabbing exercise. Quite a joke really.

3 hours ago, Deli said:

The Brits rather should protect their country and avoid Zodicas arriving to their shores from France than commenting on Thai roads situation, which is none of their business.

It is their business since a large number of Brits  come on holiday to Thailand   (or at least they used to !).  It is reasonable for them to be warned   

• Like 1

What really boggles my mind is 58 deaths from covid and the entire nation shut down. Over a thousand deaths a month from the highways and yet when was the last time they shut down the highways, or for that matter did anything to improve traffic safety?

The police are are so extraordinarily apathetic when you combine that with severe incompetence, and extreme corruption it's just not a good mix. When you mix in the extreme apathy of the government what you have is an incredibly volatile situation that results in a massive loss of life.

I would refer to the Army's unwillingness to address Traffic Safety as a form of sadism directed toward the nation and its people. There is so much that could be done to improve the situation here starting with getting the highway police to actually patrol the highway! Which is something they're completely unwilling to do. Have you ever in all of the time you've been in Thailand, seen a car being pulled over for speeding or reckless driving? For me, never after over a decade, not once, the only time the highway patrol ever show up is after an accident. So, I get back to my original question. What on earth does the highway patrol do and why on earth are they even needed? Why even spend the money on them if they're going to do anything? Just give up and surrender, and admit utter failure. 

You have to get them to actually patrol the highways. If there is no deterrent, murderous fools, will continue behaving and driving like fools. 

And Thailand is NOT 9th. That is a pure fabrication. Most studies put them at #2. Behind Libya. And without the IUD's. 

• Like 2