the lo-lo budget residences...are they truly farang-able?

BananaBandit

As I've come to learn to read Thai well enough to decipher most signs, I now often realize just how inexpensive many of the apartments are, even in BKK. 

If a farang moves into a place that's sub-2,500 Baht per month, is he basically asking to get burglarized?

Does anyone here have experience shacking up (for an extended period of time, as the sole occupant) in such venues in TH?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

If a farang moves into a place that's sub-2,500 Baht per month, is he basically asking to get burglarized?

Does anyone here have experience shacking up (for an extended period of time, as the sole occupant) in such venues in TH?

1. No

2. Yes

I lived in Thai apartments for about 6 years.  Apartments in Bangkok, Korat, and Chiang Mai.  Never had a problem.  Don't keep anything super valuable,  All the apartments I lived in had closets.  Chain the closet door handles together or lock them if they have a lock.  Put a lockable door knob cover on the outside and make sure you have lockable windows before you move in.
That's about as safe as your gonna get.  After that - don't worry about it. 
I felt safer at all my apartments in Thailand than I ever did city-living in my home county.  Enjoy 'native' life on the cheap and save your money for other things.  All you need the room for is to sleep and for down-time.  If your young or young at heart you shouldn't be hanging out in you room anyway.  You should be out enjoying city-life.  Have fun!

Image1.jpeg.1fd4e8311058501f284fc8db51a00c94.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

When studying at Chula in Bangkok, I rented a cosy room on Soi 1 for sub 3,000 baht (including cable TV, electric etc).  It never occurred to me that someone would want to break in and rob me!  After all, people who rent rooms at that low rate don't usually stock their rooms with high-end, expensive goods.....

they were too busy trying to steal your great future biz ideas...

Spent about 2 years in a condo building with almost 400 units, starting from very basic to better middle class. Sharing a room with 4 or more mated for some Thais was normal. On some floors aisles looked like in old jails and people in and out could scare away the faint hearted. However, never had a problem, maybe coz of 4 locks, but met some very interesting people... and got serious fun.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

I know a girl who lives in a 2000 baht room in Huay Kwang. It is an absolute hovel, I wouldn't want to leave my dog in that room whilst I was out. No air con, no windows, walls are filthy and there's barely enough room for a double mattress on the floor and a wardrobe. I always thought I could live anywhere but there is a limit.

I have lived in some cheaper, sub 5k places in Bangkok and was always worried about being burgled. Mainly worried about my laptop because I always spend a bit more to get a good model. But nothing ever happened. I had a really nice place in Pinklao a few years back for 4500/month, huge studio apartment with balcony, fully furnished with TV and a/c etc. but I'm sure they were screwing me on the electric bill.  

That's the first thing you should ask about when renting an apartment, if it is really cheap you can bet you will get charged at least double the government rate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

That's the first thing you should ask about when renting an apartment, if it is really cheap you can bet you will get charged at least double the government rate.

is there anywhere where there isnt a 8+ 'service charge' and confiscation of deposit ?

• Haha 2

Plenty are safe and others are unsafe. Just depends on the building and management. I had one on reserve in ratchada for 4K a month and it was super safe as the guards lived in the lobby studio and would always drink until late at night. Nobody would come in unseen. Just a bigger chance to live with students and young people, which can get loud (but that happened me even more in 8-13k range condos). Also rented a 25K baht house with terrible noise from dogs and people living far away but using KTV speakers.

So basically, just a matter of checking around and trying one out. Often minimum is only 3 months anyway. Simple smart home security system is only 2K baht too. You just do not want to rent those really cheap ones with little old style glass windows and loose wooden doors with a locker on the outside.

Last but not least there are affordable solutions for safety boxes in Bangkok and Pattaya where you can also store other valuables.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thanks 1

In Hua Hua my Thai friend lives in one small room with a/c with tiny balcony for 4000 per month. They pay electricity on top. Non a/c is possible for 3000 but slightly bigger (separate bedroom). Apartment block with key entry to building. Quiet and safe. 

• Like 2

Will some of these super-low budget places be willing to rent to me for 1 month even if I have just a paper copy of my passport picture, and not my actual passport (which is currently being reviewed at immigration for an extended visa) ??    

I have some experience shacking up in a 2,500 baht/month joint. They never even made eye contact with me, let alone asked for identification. However, I was not the primary occupant.

Oh...and out of curiosity, if you're really slummin' it, like sub-2K monthly, do the people who rent to you even know about regulation gibberish. Or is more just like:   you give money, you get key, goodbye... ?

• Like 1

Where I live, 2500 baht gets you a house suitable for a small family. Not much to do here though unless you like lao khao or back breaking labour.

Renting in Bangkok, I always had to sign a 6/12 month contract, never saw a 1 month rental. Paperwork varied greatly, sometimes took over an hour, sometimes just hand over passport to be copied, sign one sheet and the key is handed to you.

End of my road (10Km from Chiang Mai centre) some really nice new apartments 2k5/month.

Essentially 3 storey town houses, shop on the ground floor (4k), two apartments above (2k5).

I'd be happy living in one of those if I were on my own.

Everything nearby, Tesco/7-11/BigC including a nice swimming pool around the corner.

• Like 1

I have visited family members in Sriracha regularly for the last 5 years. They moved at least 4 times (can't remember). Rent for a 3 x 6 metre concrete box varied from ฿2000 to ฿3500, can't say I noticed much difference between them although one box did have air conditioning, never used of course. I could have lived in any of them, alone, a few investments like toilet seats, bed, cupboard and cooking equipment (and locks that work) would have been on the cards. 

They all had some guy nearby that sold Wifi time, a water filter, and shops. 

Dunno, even in the place that was near a bandidos stronghold I felt safe, people tend to leave me alone even though I am 72. 

Above mentioned family members now have a very nice place for 'free', they have various tasks in the row to look after.

It's like hotel rooms: I just use them to sleep in, other people want more. Clean is a word I like.

• Like 1

On my first visit to Chiang Mai in 2009 I rented a 1 bedroom place inside the superhighway for &167.00 a month. Furnished, air, bath, TV, WiFi. During retirement here, I bought 3 rooms, reconstructed and furnished for under 1 million baht. Takes time investment but decent bargains can be found.

I use to see a girl who lived off Oh Nuts 2500 a month.

The door had some cheap loose door knob twist it, even if the door was locked and it would open.

I liked her so paid for a solid good quality dead bolt lock and installed it.  

Just a suggestion for some of these lower end places maybe some peace of mind.

Edited by bkk6060

If I might ask some of you battle-tested slummers....   When slummin it, do you stash your passport in your room?   Or keep it on your person? 

Someone mentioned that BKK and Pattaya have safety deposit boxes. That's kind of interesting. But my instincts tell me most of you probably haven't gone that route. And you might be slummin it outside BKK/Pattaya anyway.

Absolutely no problem. At the moment I rent 6 different places around Thailand. Two of them in Bangkok. Most of them have a rent on 2500-4500 baht. All of them have aircon and hot water. The two for 4500 each are townhouses with 2 bedroom, 2 toilets and a big kitchen dining space downstair.

Never any risk for burglary. I would think it would be a higher risk the more you pay for your living.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Absolutely no problem. At the moment I rent 6 different places around Thailand. Two of them in Bangkok. Most of them have a rent on 2500-4500 baht. All of them have aircon and hot water. The two for 4500 each are townhouses with 2 bedroom, 2 toilets and a big kitchen dining space downstair.

Never any risk for burglary. I would think it would be a higher risk the more you pay for your living.

That a surprise. How far out of town? A one bedroom with shower room, tiny balcony and a/c (but cold water) in Hua Hin is 4000 a month. Key entry to a nice quiet totally safe apartment block 2-3 minutes from the main drag. 

Am I comparing apples with oranges? 

Edited by Speedhump

Years ago my now wife lived in one.....Guessing 2-3k month.....She's not a people mixer & not troubled about being by herself.....All these years later she's still a quiet, private person, (her family is this way also).....

She had a fairly large room/flat in a building covered by cctv....She had a sink & bathroom on a caged/wrought iron enclosed porch that could accommodate a small kitchen + her little "garden" that she tended.....She had 2nd story (of 2) end unit....It was her little nest.....

I remember looking at it and thinking if 2 adjoining units were available it'd be workable for 2 people....One bedroom style + one living/cooking/dining area offering 2 bathrooms & rear porches....

For 1 person I could have made that single work....

The down side is there was no vehicle parking for her car.....The closest was about a half a block away in a vacant lot under some shade trees....

On the walk from the car to the room/flat there were other buildings that always seemed to have small groups of men that seemed to have nothing better to do than sit around drinking & watching (2-4 people), most of the time - day or night....I always thought that walk to be dicey....

No one ever seemed to loiter around her building of 8-12? units, but other buildings did....

Could I, as a farang, live there?

For the short term, it would work....Whether I would ever have become just another neighbor = I don't know....

I was never quite sure my car was safe when I parked it there; but, as a good sized guy I never felt unsafe walking from the car to the flat....

There were only small noodle shops, etc. around & it was far removed from any clubs, shopping, or entertainment areas, so the night noise was minimal.....

Workable = yes////Desirable = questionable....

A lot would depend on the type of life & "entertaining" you plan on and your habits.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speedhump said:

That a surprise. How far out of town? A one bedroom with shower room, tiny balcony and a/c (but cold water) in Hua Hin is 4000 a month. Key entry to a nice quiet totally safe apartment block 2-3 minutes from the main drag. 

Am I comparing apples with oranges? 

No you are comparing right, I think. However, the small studio you are talking about can be more new and better designed as well as more modern.

What I am talking about is not far away. In Bangkok, one that I rent i in Sukhumvit Soi 77, On Nut. Like 5 min to Sky Train.

Others are in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Hat Yai. Also not very much away from thing, but at the same time not in the middle.

Edited by Matzzon