Thai tourist arrivals tumble 71% year-on-year in January-July amid outbreak

webfact

27 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

so why wont you go back to your country and leave thailand in peace?

i never got it.

some farang complain so much about thailand, yet stay in thailand even in pandemic times.

go, and never come back.

Not in September no, I am going to Greece ????

When Asia opens up, in 2050, I will transit Bangkok to other Asian destinations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, black tabby said:

Yes, quite.

If the ruling class of the kingdom could have done all these(your quoted social tasks) by now, Thailand must have been among the 1st world.

Too far too tall order to the lazy greedy  incompetent  modern day aristocrats in the government office.

They have been sitting so comfortably in their permanent  status often inherited for generations.

Being counterproductive is their greatest self-serving capital.

They must be utterly convinced; why we have to change the system that works to maximize our easy lucrative gain?

If the people had any idea of the extent of the graft and greed at the top, they would revolt tomorrow. Some still harbor this illusion of the honorable army. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

If the people had any idea of the extent of the graft and greed at the top, they would revolt tomorrow. Some still harbor this illusion of the honorable army. 

Reminds me on something that has been said before.

“If the people knew what we had done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us.”

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Kadilo, you ask "What tourists do they actually think will put up with this?"

The answer is Long stay tourists like me, who have been locked out of Thailand for many months, and who have lived there for many years.

You are not falling under the typical definition of a tourist. 

As you said, you have lived in the country for years.

You are a (part-time) resident, expat .

Real Tourists arrive Visa-exempt or with a tourist visa for less than 30 days. They don't live in a country long term 

2 hours ago, terryofcrete said:

I would normally be in Thailand now but I am not allowed . I went to Corfu last week to break the monotony because Greece was still on the Green list in my country and open to visitors from Ireland. 
it was an eye opener ... beautiful hot weather, cheap prices for most things and bargain accomodation... add in no cheating, smiles without whingeing , clean fresh air and clean blue sea and you got it ! ... Great food too at very realistic prices. 

oh .. forgot to mention ... €113... last minute booking ... return from Dublin to Corfu ... it doesnt tax the brain to work out that it was a good choice !

Many Europeans will discover that you can have a great holiday in southern Europe. 

Probably the same cost, if you include airfare. 

Once they get used to it, Asia won't have the same draw any longer (except for the women working in bars - but how big is that segment really)

14 hours ago, david_dyer said:

Concidering lack of flights and border closures, who are the remaining 30% of tourists.

Do they concider flights transiting swampy as tourists even though they never leave the airport?

They would have been here in Jan-Feb. Practically none have come after the borders were closed.

16 hours ago, sandyf said:

Yesterday morning Thai domestic check in at swampy was absolutely mobbed, I only saw a couple of empty seats on our flight to Krabi.

In the afternoon I was sat having a beer opposite the Swordfish monument on Ao Nang front and in the space of half an hour 2 large tour coaches pulled up and were obviously full with the numbers running around taking pics.

In the evening another large coach discharged it's contents into our reception, couldn't move until they all checked in. Just over 750,000 nights have been booked under the government domestic tourist scheme so far.

Of course you are free to believe what you want, but you really need to get out a bit more.

750,000 out of 6 million

Usually they are oversubscribed...

• Like 1

"It has extended a state of emergency until the end of September, despite having among Asia's lowest coronavirus case numbers and no domestic transmission for three months."

Is it deliberate that TV articles are written to draw contention??

Replace "despite"  with "resulting in it " .... geez....

On 8/25/2020 at 9:26 AM, dallen52 said:

Sums it up pretty much. 

But these clowns still don't get it. 

Thousands of people like myself and just want to get back to Thailand, and like you support the Thai family and community. 

It's a no brainer. 

Throw in self quarantine and there's another 50,000 baht to be spent by the returnees.

Yes , but YOUR clowns get it ... 5555

The Aussie Government doesnt trust their own to do the right thing between STATES , and wont let you out  of Aus even  , but Thailand is full of clowns who should let  you in ,  hey ?

Get Real !

116241158_3369087783122375_24159747827162588_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_eui2=AeE8tR0AWM9jeXPzgTIEGw7sv7MZU5tKRk-_sxlTm0pGT1VBCfvVvGgusUtQEditA3c&_nc_ohc=TeXd-O9jmpIAX_AErVJ&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk5-4.fna&oh=61604dd82c9363da6d50968928fff0d8&oe=5F685811

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

Yes. Who would have thought the Aussiegovernment would be as crazy as the Thai one.

As for a 71% drop in tourists. That is nothing. Wait until you see the figures for April to September. 

Hows Aussie inbound tourist stats going pray tell ??

On 8/25/2020 at 7:50 PM, sandyf said:

No one has ever said that one will replace the other. The ratio is about 40% domestic to around 60% international and it is about time you and your like accepted the reality of the situation.

Only the self deluded would think that constant infantile whinging is going to change anything.

Seems like Thais are out of money or just being sensible. Like I said, people are not in holiday mood. People are deeply worried about the future and if they will be able to work and earn. See? 

34 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Seems like Thais are out of money or just being sensible. Like I said, people are not in holiday mood. People are deeply worried about the future and if they will be able to work and earn. See? 

Absolute garbage but you can believe anything you want.

We have been knocking around Ao Nang for the last three days and been in several establishments using the government scheme and they are all saying the same thing, it's too complicated. The majority of the tourists are elderly, like me, but they cannot get their head around this QR business. The Chinese are streets ahead of Thailand in this respect.

It is nothing to do with with being worried or sensible, the low take up is about using unfamiliar technology. Remind me, how many establishments have you been to and used the app.

Those that do use it will benefit from those that choose not to.

34 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Absolute garbage but you can believe anything you want.

We have been knocking around Ao Nang for the last three days and been in several establishments using the government scheme and they are all saying the same thing, it's too complicated. The majority of the tourists are elderly, like me, but they cannot get their head around this QR business. The Chinese are streets ahead of Thailand in this respect.

It is nothing to do with with being worried or sensible, the low take up is about using unfamiliar technology. Remind me, how many establishments have you been to and used the app.

Those that do use it will benefit from those that choose not to.

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2020 at 10:25 PM, Fex Bluse said:

Seems like Thais are out of money or just being sensible. Like I said, people are not in holiday mood. People are deeply worried about the future and if they will be able to work and earn. 

Why bar flies will never acknowledge domestic tourism.

IMG_20200827_151338 (2).jpg

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2