Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

It really depends what you are using it for. If you are going to use it around town (ie bangkok) then juet get the 150. if you plan to do alot of out of town riding then the 250 would be better. The 250 is faster with better acceleration but not by a huge amount and of course they almost look identical. If you have the money then you may aswell get the 250 rather than regret it later. (you might not be satisfied with the power of the 150 but then its too late.)

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am in the process of deciding between the 150 or 250. I want the 250 but don't know if I can justify the extra cash. Is there that big a difference between the 2? What is the 0-100 km/h on the 150?

Many thanks

I would get the 250 every time (trust me ,its not a bike you will ride and think WOW ,This is too fast ,i should have got a slower one :) )

if cash is a factor ,get the 250cc thats 3-12 months old

you can pick them up cheap on the classifieds and you will got the best of both worlds

It really depends what you are using it for. If you are going to use it around town (ie bangkok) then juet get the 150. if you plan to do alot of out of town riding then the 250 would be better. The 250 is faster with better acceleration but not by a huge amount and of course they almost look identical. If you have the money then you may aswell get the 250 rather than regret it later. (you might not be satisfied with the power of the 150 but then its too late.)

I tend to lean toward's Wana's advice to get the 250 but looking at where you will ride it is good advice. If you will use it 100% in the flat lands, the 150 is great. Where the performance really suffers is at higher altitudes. Take a trip up in the mountains on a 150 and you will always be wishing for a bigger bike, at least on the uphill portions.

I tend to lean toward's Wana's advice to get the 250 but looking at where you will ride it is good advice. If you will use it 100% in the flat lands, the 150 is great. Where the performance really suffers is at higher altitudes. Take a trip up in the mountains on a 150 and you will always be wishing for a bigger bike, at least on the uphill portions.

Agree. I just sold my 150 and the new owner drove it to Koh Chang and he said that while it was fine cruising at 120 on the flats, when it hit the steep slopes of the mountains in Koh Chang it struggled. This bike has the 45T sprocket, so one with the 43T sprocket would really really struggle. The 150 is a great bike for around town and shortish blasts down the highway. I would still love to know if changing the ECU will give it a bit more punch!

Agree. I just sold my 150 and the new owner drove it to Koh Chang and he said that while it was fine cruising at 120 on the flats, when it hit the steep slopes of the mountains in Koh Chang it struggled. This bike has the 45T sprocket, so one with the 43T sprocket would really really struggle. The 150 is a great bike for around town and shortish blasts down the highway. I would still love to know if changing the ECU will give it a bit more punch!

so what bike you got now then????t

so what bike you got now then????t

did a part trade on a Mio 125RR! Some unkind souls would say it is not much of a step down from the CBR150. Just waiting to see what comes out in the next 6-9 months. Miss the 150 already.

If you are buying new, then it really depends if the 30,000 baht price difference is alot of money for you. If it isn't, then get a 250. Is it worth that amount to just use around town? Probably not.

I've used the new 150 to travel 100s of kms up country and there are not many bikes that pass me inc' the 250. I've got 147km/hr out of it. Sure sometimes I would like more power but it's only sometimes. in the long run it might save my life.

Edited by macknife

If you are buying new, then it really depends if the 30,000 baht price difference is alot of money for you. If it isn't, then get a 250. Is it worth that amount to just use around town? Probably not.

I've used the new 150 to travel 100s of kms up country and there are not many bikes that pass me inc' the 250. I've got 147km/hr out of it. Sure sometimes I would like more power but it's only sometimes. in the long run it might save my life.

power is not only for top speed though

the 250 only does about 20 kmph more than anyway

its the acceleration,torque,ability to carry passenegers,go up hills without much slow down etc that i would like the 250 better

i rarely get a chance to get up to 160+ on the cbr 250 because it takes a long stretch of good road to get there

i can get up to 160+ easily on the er6n and on a much shorter stretch of road than i could on a 250

those are the positive difernces fior me

i think the 250 is a slighty larger bike so you can stretch out on it a bit more more also for larger riders

also you can choose ABS on the 250,i dont think there is an ABS 150 ?

price differnce now is only 24k (150 is now 86k in my local shop ) , i think its worth it to get the 250

• 3 weeks later...

Someone posted the service manual for the new 150i in English a while back but i can't seem to find it. It's also somewhere on my computer but I can't find that either. Anyone got a download of it handy?

search for a" .pdf " file if you already downloaded it

It's also somewhere on my computer but I can't find that either.

Perhaps go to 'start', 'search' and type in 'CBR' before hitting enter.

Thanks, I tried that with no luck. I was sure that it was saved in my 'downloaded files' but that folder is now empty. I don't remember emptying it, but it's certainly possible.

I translated the service schedule from the Thai manual for the CBR150 Fi a while back, didn't do the rest as it is less useful and mostly easy to understand.

Here it is (hope link works) :

Is it what you were looking for ?

Thats the one Fab, thank you.

Good Info :)

I had a Honda CZi 110 cc and rode it from BKK to Koh Chang with my Thai GF behind me. Had to down shift to second and even first a few times on those steep KC roads :) The new 250 cbr is a great looking bike and really has me interested :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of selling my 150 to buy a 250 but then I thought about it. Why would I sell one bike to get the exact same thing. Oh and Honda couldn't even change the colors on this years 250. I'm just going to wait for a year and hope that Honda releases a 600 or even a 400. I love honda but if they don't do something in the next year I'm going to go to Kawasaki.

Hi, I have an old 150 carb'd cbr that has been serving me quite well over the years. I remember reading through this thread a few years ago and it highlighted a problem on my bike that has been steadily getting worse as the years go by. Basically it is getting more difficult to change into neutral when stationary and occasionally jumps out of gear when moving.

I remember reading on here someone had recognised a similar issue and regularly gets a certain part replaced at their Honda garage every year or so to rectify the problem.

The problem is that I have been to the Honda garage here in the past and every time they tell me it isn't a problem with the bike, just me. I know that is complete rubbish and so I would like to go in there this week and just tell them what part to change without question. The thing is, I don't know what part it is (something to do with the gear selection mechanism?) and I don't know what it translates to in Thai.

Can anyone help shed some light on this for me?

I had heard that but it's been steadily getting worse over the last few years. It doesn't really have issues falling out of gear unless I don't change 'assertively' if you know what I mean, it's mainly when changing down, coming to a stop; I have to let the clutch out a little sometimes before changing down again.

I had heard that but it's been steadily getting worse over the last few years. It doesn't really have issues falling out of gear unless I don't change 'assertively' if you know what I mean, it's mainly when changing down, coming to a stop; I have to let the clutch out a little sometimes before changing down again.

that happens on a lot of bikes ,when u get used to it you know the exact position to shift and it doesnt make a differnce

Yup, 'floaty gears'.

Downshifting from speed (or not) you downshift and the bike just stays in the gear without changing, or there's a delay, or you have to let the clutch out a little before changing again

The old CBR150's are famous for it. I've heard of people going into dealers and as soon as they start saying 'gears' the mechanics take over and tell them the symptoms... a bit surpising that the your mechanics won't admit anything, but you probably wouldn't get anywhere if taking it to a dealership employing Western children either, so not entirely surprising that the Thai adults have to deny deny deny. rolleyes.gif

Edited by strollling

Happened to me, live with it or its a new gearbox. 1000 - 1500B.

i dont know if these gearboxes are actually "faulty" as such

ive been on tonnes of bikes where you maybe stop in 4th or 5th quickly and you cannot shift down down through

the gears until you let the clutch out about 1/2-1 cm and then it clicks into the lower gear nicely ......