Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

back on-topic - why is nobody up for a ride doi suthep on their beloved CBRs?

I'm available anytime, almost. . .

jbeck

Some of the guys on this forum are pretty aggressive riders... the way I was 20 years ago.

The more aggressive/skilled the better. But everyone can have fun and meet at the top and/or go to eat/drink coffee.

I've only been about 5~6 times, it seems pretty safe. You can get just as hurt in traffic in the city.

Doi traffic patterns and riding styles aside, I guess I am looking for people to ride with because I think it's more fun, and can meet people.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a people person, except when it comes to bikes. Of course it's dangerous. What's the CBR for?

I don't understand the point of riding around in traffic on a CBR.

After all the discussions of tires, carbs, gearing, top speed, wind resistance, etc..why not ride the bike the way it's meant to be ridden?

And also with the doi right there.

I'm going Sunday Morning around 10~11.

You can PM me and get my phone number.

jbeck

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One eye.

The Zongshen range in Thailand does not currently have a 200cc bike, So a bit pointless with the post, also when was it, where is the link to the article.

The bike you saw was a Zongshen pursuit 125 price 55,000b with lots of extras like front crash bars rear rack and passenger foot platforms. It is a very well made bike which you would have seen if you had looked.

I met a lady from Udon at the Koen Kaen bike show who had one of these bikes and she was very pleased with it. Her husband had a Honda Phantom and i gotta say i think the Zongshen was better made than the Phantom (83,000b).

Also on speaking to the couple they seemed to think that they were pretty close in performance, Their words not mine. I think they are friends of Ray23.

For a lady rider or someone that wants a comfortable ride around town i think they are ideal. If my missus could use a clutch i would consider one for her.

Allan

I also found this on the Zongshen website.

According to Zongsheng's updated market investigation, some unrecognizable motorcycle producers counterfeited and are counterfeiting Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles. These illegal producers sold and are selling the counterfeited Zongsheng motorcycle engines and motorcycles in the name of Zongsheng the Original Equipment Manufacturer. These counterfeiting actions seriously infringe the intellectual property rights and the business goodwill of Zongsheng.

For the benefit of the users, any buyers of Zongsheng motorcycle engines or motorcycles can send the serial number of the motorcycle engines and motorcycle frames to the following email address to testify whether the products are the original products of Zongsheng Motorcycle Company. Zongsheng will be grateful to your understanding of the incontinences hereof arose.

The point is I was there looking for a CBR and I was sidetracked by both the salesman and my wife into looking at these two 125cc cruisers newly arrived from Zongshen. My last bike was a Kawasaki 750 twin and my wife was only trying to be helpful. They also had one that had been returned after a few hundred kilometres because the buyers wife could not ride it. The price of the secondhand was 45K and the the new one was 49,500.

That review of the Zongshen is one guys opinion and was posted not as anything other than an amusing anecdote.

So sorry you coudn't see the humour in it.

Re Honda VTR 250........trouble is...freely available in Thailand?? I like the faired bikes much better and less wind buffeting etc so less tireing on a trip. Guess could add fairings tho.

I actually looked at a CBR250 4cyl a while ago.....perfect except too old and the old bogey about legit green books etc.

The NSR250.....45hp now youre talking!! A very nice one for sale in CM but at over 70K for a 20 year old bike....dont think so.

The VTR 250 is not widely available in LOS. You can find them on mocyc.com, but of dubious legality. Supposedly the first generation of the CBR 250R had 45 BHP....

Re Honda VTR 250........trouble is...freely available in Thailand?? I like the faired bikes much better and less wind buffeting etc so less tireing on a trip. Guess could add fairings tho.

I actually looked at a CBR250 4cyl a while ago.....perfect except too old and the old bogey about legit green books etc.

The NSR250.....45hp now youre talking!! A very nice one for sale in CM but at over 70K for a 20 year old bike....dont think so.

The VTR 250 is not widely available in LOS. You can find them on mocyc.com, but of dubious legality. Supposedly the first generation of the CBR 250R had 45 BHP....

Maybe with Honda moving mid size production to here, the VTR will become available at a reasonable price??

I see tho only 5 speed box, detract from the attraction too I think.

Anything over about 80kph I tuck down on the cbr to avoid wind buffeting. I find the bike much more stable and less tiring for me, so a faired bike is a big attraction to me.

I looked long and hard before buying my current (2nd) CBR. I found that overall it always came out on top for my main purpose of using/having the bike. But Id love the same bike to have another 15+ horses between my legs, wider rims and better stopping power. Then be perfect for me I think.

But have to admit the 600cc bikes I rent are MUCH better on a long trip, really cannot compare for performance and comfort. But of course you cannot compare the 2 different bikes.

ok I went up doi suthep without any of you, I counted 50 RH turns, it took me about 11 min up and 9.5 min down, with too much sunday afternoon traffic.

no, I don't really wait for a good a good place to pass, I just pass anyway but it's not a big deal

and, I pretty much stayed in the 'correct' lane and didn't use both lanes (so tempting)

this is on the modified airblade...and staying in my comfort level - no moments - no close calls -

so much fun -when will you guys come out and play?

today I tried out my new cheap version non adjustable Gazi shocks, and thinner less comfy seat - both definitely an improvement

this is in the CBR forum because I want to ride with CBR riders, and probably will buy a CBR

jbeck

Maybe with Honda moving mid size production to here, the VTR will become available at a reasonable price??

Anything over about 80kph I tuck down on the cbr to avoid wind buffeting. I find the bike much more stable and less tiring for me, so a faired bike is a big attraction to me.

I looked long and hard before buying my current (2nd) CBR. I found that overall it always came out on top for my main purpose of using/having the bike. But Id love the same bike to have another 15+ horses between my legs, wider rims and better stopping power. Then be perfect for me I think.

But have to admit the 600cc bikes I rent are MUCH better on a long trip, really cannot compare for performance and comfort. But of course you cannot compare the 2 different bikes.

I've read a comparison between the VTR 250 and the Ninja 250; seemed like the VTR was much better in town and wringing the neck of the Ninja 250 got you more giggles.

I doubt that you're going to find any current 250cc bike with more than 33 hp. My understanding is that they just don't make them. The reasoning I've heard is that to make them more than that would put them in a class above the beginner's class in Europe and that's where most of the 250cc bikes are being sold. Finding a 400+ cc bike will get you the horsepower that you want and much better stability.

Having said that; had the VTR been offered that is what I would have got. Will go quick enough for me and the looks are truly nice. Five speed gearbox is a bit of a let down however, I'm always struck when I go on rides with mbox how much I dislike only having 5 gears (all the Tiger Boxer has) compared to the six on the CBR and Ninja. Having fewer gears means that each gear has to cover a broader range and there's a chance you'll be in a gear that doesn't utilise the engine's power band efficiently.

ok I went up doi suthep without any of you, I counted 50 RH turns, it took me about 11 min up and 9.5 min down, with too much sunday afternoon traffic.

no, I don't really wait for a good a good place to pass, I just pass anyway but it's not a big deal

and, I pretty much stayed in the 'correct' lane and didn't use both lanes (so tempting)

this is on the modified airblade...and staying in my comfort level - no moments - no close calls -

today I tried out my new cheap version non adjustable Gazi shocks, and thinner less comfy seat - both definitely an improvement

this is in the CBR forum because I want to ride with CBR riders, and probably will buy a CBR

jbeck

Glad you had a good day. Sounds like a nice road if a bit too short. I don't think you'll find many riding companions up in Chiang Mai who will want to go with you at break neck speeds; seems like most of the posters from that area are more advanced in years and have plenty of other things to worry about other than risking their fortunes in such a run.

I have the same issue in Nakhon Sawan. Most of the expats are old; nearest in age to me is still +10 years. I've even slowed down a bit in traffic; having a child puts life more into perspective.

I've read a comparison between the VTR 250 and the Ninja 250; seemed like the VTR was much better in town and wringing the neck of the Ninja 250 got you more giggles.

I doubt that you're going to find any current 250cc bike with more than 33 hp. My understanding is that they just don't make them. The reasoning I've heard is that to make them more than that would put them in a class above the beginner's class in Europe and that's where most of the 250cc bikes are being sold. Finding a 400+ cc bike will get you the horsepower that you want and much better stability.

Having said that; had the VTR been offered that is what I would have got. Will go quick enough for me and the looks are truly nice. Five speed gearbox is a bit of a let down however, I'm always struck when I go on rides with mbox how much I dislike only having 5 gears (all the Tiger Boxer has) compared to the six on the CBR and Ninja. Having fewer gears means that each gear has to cover a broader range and there's a chance you'll be in a gear that doesn't utilise the engine's power band efficiently.

jbeck

Glad you had a good day. Sounds like a nice road if a bit too short. I don't think you'll find many riding companions up in Chiang Mai who will want to go with you at break neck speeds; seems like most of the posters from that area are more advanced in years and have plenty of other things to worry about other than risking their fortunes in such a run.

I have the same issue in Nakhon Sawan. Most of the expats are old; nearest in age to me is still +10 years. I've even slowed down a bit in traffic; having a child puts life more into perspective.

boo-meister - I'm 51 but my kids are grown. I just thought with the discussions about modifying the CBR, people wanted to drive them fast.

Simply put, I need someone to race up and down doi suthep with me.

It's not to short and towards the end, with about 100 turns in 10 minutes, my attention sometimes turns to food, or something else anyway..which is a good time to slow down and/or rest. And, you can go up again if you want.

Where do you ride the CBR FAST in Nakon Sawan?

Where do people ride their modified CBRs FAST in thailand?

Not sure what distance jbeck covered uphill in 11 minutes on an Airblade, but sounds too fast. I slept in, but last time I climbed Doi Suthep, I got lost in the Akha village after maybe 20 minutes.

No PeaceBlonde I only went from the ZOO to the vendor area just below/next to the wat itself.

It's 10km, about 100 turns. I've yet to go over the top but want to explore that too, maybe with some other riders.

boo-meister - I'm 51 but my kids are grown. I just thought with the discussions about modifying the CBR, people wanted to drive them fast.

It's not to short and towards the end, with about 100 turns in 10 minutes, my attention sometimes turns to food, or something else anyway..which is a good time to slow down and/or rest. And, you can go up again if you want.

Well, I'm out in the western edge of NakWan, so going fast in any direction (other than east) quickly puts me in another province. Being as rural as it is, speed can be dangerous; few tak-taks have rear reflectors at are worth a dam_n and cresting a hill to find a herd of cows moving at their own pace is always a good way to get the blood flowing.

Heading down toward Ban Rai gets done in a quickly and the nice scenic twisty roads there are a hoot to go down. Skipping Ban Rai and heading down into Chai Nat province results in a whole collection of great roads that are rarely used and nearly unknown. Going north towards Kamphaeng Phet is a bit of a snoozer; however need to do that to get to the Mae Sot/Umphang run. That is a great road; highly recommended to all who like twisties.

I reiterate that I am glad you're happy with your ride but can't help draw similarities between your report and a fisherman's tale. First it was 50 RH turns and now it's 100 turns..... But I am glad you're experienced enough to tackle such a technically challenging road and yet still have time to think about all the stuff you think about.

Well, I'm out in the western edge of NakWan, so going fast in any direction (other than east) quickly puts me in another province. Being as rural as it is, speed can be dangerous; few tak-taks have rear reflectors at are worth a dam_n and cresting a hill to find a herd of cows moving at their own pace is always a good way to get the blood flowing.

Heading down toward Ban Rai gets done in a quickly and the nice scenic twisty roads there are a hoot to go down. Skipping Ban Rai and heading down into Chai Nat province results in a whole collection of great roads that are rarely used and nearly unknown. Going north towards Kamphaeng Phet is a bit of a snoozer; however need to do that to get to the Mae Sot/Umphang run. That is a great road; highly recommended to all who like twisties.

I reiterate that I am glad you're happy with your ride but can't help draw similarities between your report and a fisherman's tale. First it was 50 RH turns and now it's 100 turns..... But I am glad you're experienced enough to tackle such a technically challenging road and yet still have time to think about all the stuff you think about.

50 RH, and about one LH turn for each , but I didn't count. But that comes out to about 100, each way.

I used to fish. When I start to think, I know it's time to slow down. I said this as a way of pointing out it's not too short of a distance to do at high speed.

20km, about 20 min, 200 turns (up, and then down), most turns are in the 50-70kph range but I'm being pretty careful.

jbeck

I would (I do the ride regularly), but you scared the hel_l out of me...

Feel free to pass me anytime!

Edited by wjmark

For those interested in finding someone to ride with locally, why not mention your location and see what response you get.

I too would like to meet for a ride with anyone in the Buriram/Surin area, though I do head back down south tomorrow but back for November as it's rainy season down there.

jbeck

did i see you today?

Well, looks like my poor little province is the centre of the CBR club's owners. I'm not home until the end of October, but I already have a Mae Sot<->Umphang ride arranged. Perhaps some of the CBR owners would like to make their way to Kamphaeng Phet, which I'm planning on using as a springboard for the one day ride, and traveling with me?

jbeck

did i see you today?

I wish! Won't be back in CM until late September. See your tail-light then!

Hey guys,

Quick question, I found some Veloil Chainlube where i live.. Its a black can and the lube is kinda blueish color when you spray it. Does this lube work with o-ring chains? Anyone have an idea?

I tried to find some info with google but nothing to be found, at least when i looked.

Thanks

/peace

A beautiful blue CBR supposedly 1 yearold with 3000 on the clock and it turns out to be 4 - 5 years old, lots of scratches and scapes on the fairing, a petrol filler that took ten minutes to put back in, and they ask 46K. On the test ride it conked out after 1 kilometre.

I am sorely tempted to just buy a new one and avoid all of the hassle of dealing with people that just want to rip you off.

PeaceBlondie I am sure you would agree NO?

Hey guys,

Quick question, I found some Veloil Chainlube where i live.. Its a black can and the lube is kinda blueish color when you spray it. Does this lube work with o-ring chains? Anyone have an idea?

I tried to find some info with google but nothing to be found, at least when i looked.

Thanks

/peace

o-ring chains are sealed and the lubrication is sealed inside the o-rings. By design, you can't get the lube inside the o-rings. you can use something to keep it clean, and keep the chain from rusting. A 'bad' chain lube will deteriorate the o-rings.

Wouldn't you get more response if you (re)posted in the main forum?

o-ring chains are sealed and the lubrication is sealed inside the o-rings. By design, you can't get the lube inside the o-rings. you can use something to keep it clean, and keep the chain from rusting. A 'bad' chain lube will deteriorate the o-rings.

Wouldn't you get more response if you (re)posted in the main forum?

Now that wasnt my question was it? I know how O-rings chains work..thank you :)

I thought of that after i made the post, and i thought i'd give it some time before i made a double post.

/peace

A beautiful blue CBR supposedly 1 yearold with 3000 on the clock and it turns out to be 4 - 5 years old, lots of scratches and scapes on the fairing, a petrol filler that took ten minutes to put back in, and they ask 46K. On the test ride it conked out after 1 kilometre.

I am sorely tempted to just buy a new one and avoid all of the hassle of dealing with people that just want to rip you off.

PeaceBlondie I am sure you would agree NO?

Nothing beats brand new. Unless you're a collector and your purpose for a bike is totally recreational or as a talking piece.

Hey guys,

Thanks

/peace

I've never tried that brand. I use DuPont Teflon on my other bike with a chrome plated chain. It's wax based so it's not sticky and keeps the chain clean and shiny.

Edited by songoku777

taichi... are you going to dyno it once you have it rebuilt

I suppose i should, just want to get it back and enjoy it first! Anyone know a dyno in Pattaya?

Interesting ThaiChi...are you going to be adding splashes of colour or anything on the frame? Or perhaps polishing the hel_l out of it?

I'm painting it the same colour as the silver on the farings. I just wanted the outside of the main frame painted to tie it all together but my mechanic and painter thought it wouldn't look good and decided to pull it apart! It'll look great but will probably sell the bike in a few months. My mech wasn't at work yesterday to start putting together as he is scouring the countryside for a Honda GB400 for my next project! :D:) I'm missing it mak mak!

Taich. I just a little worried that they have got the jetting correct for the carb. Thats why a dyno run would be good. to set up the carb. Would be horrible if ya take it for a run and you lean burn the piston or something.

nearest place is dirt shop, onnut Bangkok.

hi guys,

I was in heavy winds and rain the other day and although i was riding as carefully as I could, felt a little nervous. I blamed it, maybe unfairly so, on the tires.

even in dry weather, i had strong winds and was blown almost into the next lane. had to keep correcting the bike to the other side of the lane.

generally, what do you think of the skinny tires on the cbr, is it a safety issue ?

Edited by mc2

taichi... are you going to dyno it once you have it rebuilt

I suppose i should, just want to get it back and enjoy it first! Anyone know a dyno in Pattaya?

Interesting ThaiChi...are you going to be adding splashes of colour or anything on the frame? Or perhaps polishing the hel_l out of it?

I'm painting it the same colour as the silver on the farings. I just wanted the outside of the main frame painted to tie it all together but my mechanic and painter thought it wouldn't look good and decided to pull it apart! It'll look great but will probably sell the bike in a few months. My mech wasn't at work yesterday to start putting together as he is scouring the countryside for a Honda GB400 for my next project! :D:) I'm missing it mak mak!

what mods and type/size of carb were you going to put on?

hi guys,

I was in heavy winds and rain the other day and although i was riding as carefully as I could, felt a little nervous. I blamed it, maybe unfairly so, on the tires.

even in dry weather, i had strong winds and was blown almost into the next lane. had to keep correcting the bike to the other side of the lane.

generally, what do you think of the skinny tires on the cbr, is it a safety issue ?

No. The honda engineers are extremely competent and the stock tire size is optimal for 'normal' driving, stock bike.

The IRC tires are not that great but it's not easy (ie, you can't) find a quality replacement for the stock front 80/90 (dunlop, pirelli, michelin) as far as I know and have read on this forum.

I would change the rear to a Michelin Pilot Sporty, but keep the stock size, 100/80.

A slight sacrifice in turning (how quickly you can change direction), and you can get a 90/80 for the front.

A great tire, I might add.