BBC plunged into 'Rule Britannia' censorship row

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The change in the program of the last night of the Proms has absolutely nothing to do with BLM.

Would be nice, but that's not what the Guardian is saying:

The row was prompted by a report in the Sunday Times that Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope And Glory could be dropped completely from the line-up of the annual classical music event, in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests because of concerns about their strong association with imperialism and the lyric “Britons never shall be slaves”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/25/boris-johnson-scolds-bbc-over-suggestion-proms-would-drop-rule-britannia

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Would be nice, but that's not what the Guardian is saying:

The row was prompted by a report in the Sunday Times that Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope And Glory could be dropped completely from the line-up of the annual classical music event, in the wake of the Black Lives Matter protests because of concerns about their strong association with imperialism and the lyric “Britons never shall be slaves”.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/25/boris-johnson-scolds-bbc-over-suggestion-proms-would-drop-rule-britannia

The assertion that this has anything to do with BLM is from Murdoch’s Sunday Times (the Sunday Times that bought into the scoop of the last century ‘The Hitler Diaries’) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Scotland is part of the UK .

"Rule Britannia" is a reference to Great Britain, which Scotland is a part of .

Scotland doesnt need to organise its own version, because Scotland is part on the UK version

BTW Rule Britannia is based on a poem written by Scotsman James Thomson

Not for much longer. ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Well although it will be played with no lyrics and no live audience I do like to think my Brexit chums on here will still be standing to attention in their living rooms belting the words out.

Yes, there they will be in their union jack underpants waving the little plastic flag they bought for the Queens silver jubilee in 1977, proud of the fact the UK is such a colossus on the world stage. 

Enjoy yourselves my friends. In this difficult year there is little fun or happiness to be found so have a ball. 

Thank you.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

On independence night.................will you be...............singing.......patriotic songs............and flag waving................about errrmm Scotland ?

Will probably be too drunk to do any of that. ????

52 minutes ago, vogie said:

The SNP doesn't have to organise any concerts to get their jingoistic anti Englishness across, they are quite capable of getting their message across alfresco and every day there are more xenophobic banners being paraded for the world to see. Oh what has happened to the once friendly nation that welcomed all, it was taken over by the incompetent SNP, prepare yourselves for decades of austerity if Mr and Mrs Murrell gets their way, the nationalists have believed everything that the SNP tells them, them that don't believe are not bothered anyway as long as seperation from the English is achieved.

It strikes me as very funny though that all the posters who are anti British are the remainers and Scots Nats, banning singing innocuous songs like Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Brittania is another step in the wrong direction of freedom of speech/song. And the SNP calling others xenophobic would be hillarious if it wasn't so tragic.

Still plugging away with the same nonsense Vogie.

I have asked many times (as have others) for you to post evidence of SNP anti Englishness.

Yet you never seem able to. You do however post links to one single group who are nothing to do with the SNP and has about 4 or 5 loonies as members. They are shunned by almost everyone north of the border because of their stupidity.

It would be like me claiming all Brexiteers are racists and homophobes then sticking a link in to the BNP or some other collection of nut jobs.

Its frankly offensive for you to keep claiming that the majority of Scots hate the English.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I have asked many times (as have others) for you to post evidence of SNP anti Englishness.

Yet you never seem able to.

When your Wife asks for a divorce , theres no need to ask her whether she likes you or not

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

When your Wife asks for a divorce , theres no need to ask her whether she likes you or not

So when Australia sought and gained independence it was because they hated the English? What about the Canadians? New Zealanders. The Maltese?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yet you never seem able to. You do however post links to one single group who are nothing to do with the SNP and has about 4 or 5 loonies as members. They are shunned by almost everyone north of the border because of their stupidity.

It would be like me claiming all Brexiteers are racists and homophobes then sticking a link in to the BNP or some other collection of nut jobs.

Its frankly offensive for you to keep claiming that the majority of Scots hate the English.

that tennis player mc murray does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No one gained independence from the English, They gained independence from the United Kingdom of Great Britain Northern Ireland, England , Wales , Scotland , Jersey, Guernsey and the Falklands .

So for some reason the Scots are unique because they want independence and the reason behind it is xenophobia.

But when other countries sought independence it was not because of xenophobia.

Behave yourself.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2020 at 9:08 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Not necessary to divide everything up between Left and Right .

Considering that its mainly the audience who sing the words , one lone person singing the song wouldnt do the songs any justice , bedsides, they would need to get a Black Woman to sing it, in the name of equality and diversity 

Black transgender, same sex attracted, woman with a disability.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, vogie said:

I never have said that all Scots hate the English, nor have I stated that all SNP do likewise, infact nobody will ever know what is being discussed by nationalists in their parlours, one can only hazard at a guess. But what we can say without fear of contradiction is that not all SNP supporters hate the English, but them that do are all nationalists. Infact if anyone makes a derogatory remark about Britain, certain SNP followers are very quick on the 'like' button.

"The SNP doesn't have to organise any concerts to get their jingoistic anti Englishness across, they are quite capable of getting their message across alfresco and every day there are more xenophobic banners being paraded for the world to see. Oh what has happened to the once friendly nation that welcomed all, it was taken over by the incompetent SNP, prepare yourselves for decades of austerity if Mr and Mrs Murrell gets their way, the nationalists have believed everything that the SNP tells them, them that don't believe are not bothered anyway as long as seperation from the English is achieved."

Your words. Not mine.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

So for some reason the Scots are unique because they want independence and the reason behind it is xenophobia.

But when other countries sought independence it was not because of xenophobia.

Behave yourself.

None of those Countries were part of the United Kingdom .

They were colonies of the UK .

Scotland isnt a colony of the UK

Just now, Rookiescot said:

"The SNP doesn't have to organise any concerts to get their jingoistic anti Englishness across, they are quite capable of getting their message across alfresco and every day there are more xenophobic banners being paraded for the world to see. Oh what has happened to the once friendly nation that welcomed all, it was taken over by the incompetent SNP, prepare yourselves for decades of austerity if Mr and Mrs Murrell gets their way, the nationalists have believed everything that the SNP tells them, them that don't believe are not bothered anyway as long as seperation from the English is achieved."

Your words. Not mine.

We are all going right off topic , the Scotland independence thread is located elsewhere , better we keep on topic 

• Like 1

Rule Britannia my a**e. It's all about England. As a Scot, I hate watching these public school educated <deleted> waving their little flags. Change it to incorporate Great Britain, you can't colonize us and still keep your own songs. Let's change Rule Britannia to 'Flower of Scotland' or 'Donald, fere's yer troosers'!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1