Would Mitsubishi Triton be a good choise?

PAV123

So, I've decided that my next car will be a Pickup. I don`t need a 4x4.
Will a Mitsubishi Triton be a good choice? Likes the look of it, but also likes the Ford Ranger and Toyota.

Anyone have experience with the Mitsubishi Triton? I'm a little unsure about Ford's reliability, I read a lot of negative things about Ford here in the forum.

Which pickup would you choose? I open to also Isuzu and Nissan-)

ffffffffff.jpg

1 hour ago, PAV123 said:

Anyone have experience with the Mitsubishi Triton? I'm a little unsure about Ford's reliability, I read a lot of negative things about Ford here in the forum.

Which pickup would you choose? I open to also Isuzu and Nissan-)

Id first  take a  look at your local dealer no matter what brand as many are  just plain <deleted>.

All  much a of  a  muchness imo , comes down to personal taste, with galvanised bodies these days and modern manufacturing techniques  the things seem to last forever, plenty of  all brands on the road, avoid the normal bs and  decide for yourself.

I thought the mitsu was ugly  with its new face and smaller in size  than some other brands in the cabin.

Edited by bodga

i bought my triton late 2015, 49,000km, never missed a beat, apart from servicing and a new battery and tyres( plenty of tread but manufactured in november 2014, bought a set of new design wheels and tyres off a 2020 pick up). don't like the shape of the new model, a bit ugly at the front.

I don't think 4 x 4 is required unless the roads are bad where you live, i have travelled over Thailand from the far north to the south and have never found any need for it,

i would look for a late model low milage old model, if i was in the market for a change, but that's personal choice due to the looks of the new model.  but i like the look of the new isuzu non 4x4 pick up, good luck with your choice.

• Like 2

I have a 2006 4wd and love it. Like others point out resale value is better with Toyota but unless you are a business worried about depreciation why deny yourself the pleasure of owning a vehicle you like for a few extra Baht down the road. Buy something that makes you happy all the Japanese vehicles are virtually bullet proof. 

• Like 1

Big pluses for the Triton are that's it's lighter than it's rivals, and has a smaller turning circle (11.8m), which is about 1m less than the others. This latter point is very handy in the land of u-turns and tiny parking spaces. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Katipo said:

Big pluses for the Triton are that's it's lighter than it's rivals, and has a smaller turning circle (11.8m), which is about 1m less than the others. This latter point is very handy in the land of u-turns and tiny parking spaces. 

All good points as the 'full-size' pickups can be a bit of a dog on busy streets, narrow sois and Tesco-Lotus parking lots. Regarding the local drivers though, no matter how nippy it is, they'll still manage to park it badly.

Point made earlier is whatever the OP decides on, ask around and get some idea of how good (or bad) the chosen vehicle's after sales service is. Some places have slick sales staff but rubbish service bays... and vice versa.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2020 at 10:10 PM, Moonlover said:

So you don't need a 4 x 4. So do you really need a pick up?

What's your point ? There's very few places one needs a 4x4. That's unless you want to go scrub bashing just for fun. Plenty of reasons for a pick-up. I'd guess that 90% of 4x4 in Thailand or world wide never see 4x4 use.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, malt25 said:

What's your point ? There's very few places one needs a 4x4. That's unless you want to go scrub bashing just for fun. Plenty of reasons for a pick-up. I'd guess that 90% of 4x4 in Thailand or world wide never see 4x4 use.

I'm certainly not arguing in favour of a 4 x 4, but I would also argue that very few people actually need a pick up either. In a dodgy situation that can all too often happen on the roads here, I would much prefer to have the stability and maneuverability of a standard car. 

3 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

I have a 2006 4wd and love it. Like others point out resale value is better with Toyota but unless you are a business worried about depreciation why deny yourself the pleasure of owning a vehicle you like for a few extra Baht down the road. Buy something that makes you happy all the Japanese vehicles are virtually bullet proof. 

I bought a new 2007 Vigo with auto trans, at the time the only truck with auto was the 4x4 version. So I had a 4x4 which over the years came in very handy, not often, but I was glad I had it, especially when tackling floods.

I had that truck for 11+ years, with no major probs, and sold it no problem for a little under half of what I paid for it. They do like a 4x4 sticker here......????

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

I'm certainly not arguing in favour of a 4 x 4, but I would also argue that very few people actually need a pick up either. In a dodgy situation that can all too often happen on the roads here, I would much prefer to have the stability and maneuverability of a standard car. 

I would much prefer to have the weight, strength and superior, higher, more comfortable driving position of a pickup.

I bought an 2018 Triton last year new for a good discounted price and it have been a good simple car for a cheap price. No regrets. It is an "safe" economicle car that starts and take you where you want, and also can take some payload. The only minus like any two wheel driven pick up, it is light in the rear and you have to be carefull when it rains. Might put som weight in there for safety. 

• Like 2

If you have a few months time..

have a look at the coming up new Mazda Bt50, which is now going to be based on the Isuzu Pickup, just , probably, nicer interior.

Mitsubishi gives most likely the best discount for the Triton. 

Have also a look at the new MG Pickup. This brand really changed from grap to now competition, with´the the help of, for example, VW/Audi. The HS is a great SUV for the price.

Ford Ranger will be soon replaced with a new model.

My friend drives a Nissan Navaro, 4WD, big engine, 4 doors,  and he doesnt like the ride...

I understand why people buy pickups, good value, floods, rough roads etc. But I really worry about their stability.

We travel Route 2 quite a lot and have seen several pickups rolled over.

Last year heading south below Khon Kaen a very new looking Ranger passed me, probably doing 120kph. About 500m ahead he pulled to the left. Must have over-corrected or something and just went sideways and rolled.  The truck had no payload. It was a lovely dry morning. I was astonished at how readily it went over. The occupants only had cuts a bruises, luckily.

Couple of months ago one of my wife's family was killed when her HiLux rolled. 35 year old lady who was a very steady driver. It was a fine, dry, quiet road but somehow she managed to flip the vehicle. There were no witnesses so we don't know how it happened.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you want the efficiency and torque of a larger (3 litre) diesel vehicle for 800- 1million baht there is little outside of pickups. Thailand versions of petrol engines are largely old technology engines long since discontinued in most other markets (check Honda CRV for example - no hybrid and a 1.6 diesel long since discontinued elsewhere) . Outside of pickups most decent sized alternatives are poor value and old engines here. 

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

very few people actually need a pick up either

Made me laugh because a friend of mine US said never buy pick up everyone will be asking you to help them move.....

Had a used D-Max it’s ok stick shift wasn’t my first choice

but I didn’t mind learned to drive stick 51 years ago... Papa 

loved it piled <deleted> in it...maybe he just drove around to see

how much fuel he could waste....we live in a village. 

After 2 years bought a new MUX-10 great vehicle no problems

and Papa don’t ask to use it.... he tried it once and has great difficulty driving an automatic 

• Like 2