7-eleven another one in my village.

OneeyedJohn

9 hours ago, jastheace said:

yes @twocatsmac

please tell the guy where you live. unless he's just got the munchies the that packet of 'Lays' on the top left.

Not the best munchie machine but top left goes with top second from right to create the classic

“crisp & chilli infused spam Butty”

Condo is in Udon Thani  @AlfHuy  

The aircon is nice, but the food is indeed junk, and most things of my interest can be found at m&p stores cheaper. Not going to be my star-supplier anytime soon.

Edited by tracker
remove deleted word

All I can say is somebody must be doing something right and is making money. I cannot speak for anywhere else but where I live in Keharomkloa there are four 7/11's within a two minute walk from my place and all of them do good trade. The one mini Tesco around here is pretty dismal and probably helps keep up the business of the 7/11 directly next door to it.

As mentioned earlier my Tesco Lotus is so dismal, and it has so many annoying things, like have some repetitive garbage on the speakers, the doors constantly making their squeaky beep beeps, the out of date products reduced on the shelves and staff who don't know their a r s e from their elbow.

My wife who is Thai and fairly tolerant when it comes to these things that generally annoy us farangs even mentioned how annoying it was in Makro the day before when the loudspeaker was just going on and on. I experienced the same thing in Big C a week or so earlier.

It just drives one out of the shop.

On 8/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, Pilotman said:

goodness only knows.  In my local town, Ban Chang, they have just competed 4 more, all within around 500 metres of each other, to add to the 3 that were already in the near vicinity. And to top it all, they all have parking for lots of vehicles, and they all, but all, sell exactly the same things.  No differentiation whatsoever.  It defies logic

Do they all have customers? If yes - that's your answer

On 8/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I will say one thing, and that is compared to Tesco Lotus who opened a store a few months back not far from the original 7-eleven, the milk that Tesco sold had a best before date like today, and 7-eleven had milk that was good for a week or more.

Tesco are a disgrace, whether it is the company or the employees, either way they are a disgrace, all of their products are out of date.

Even my wife who doesn't complain, has noticed it. 

Tesco s Most of them are Filthy Not organized 

Edited by Ireland32

On 8/29/2020 at 6:28 PM, 2long said:

It's not 7Eleven opening branches in what we would deem as crazy locations. It's the members of the public who want a slice of the action. They can easily sign up for a franchise and open a branch where the hell they like, as long as they follow CP's protocol, such as buying all stock from their main supplier. CP couldn't give a hoot how they perform. I believe that not many 7eleven branches are wholly owned and run by CP. It's all a franchise.

Just like Top Charoen Optical. They crop up everywhere and appear never to have customers. It's all down to huge margins and the member of the public taking a punt on if business will survive or not. For CP / TC it's almost risk free, involves very little man power and is not only extra revenue but nibbles away at any competitor's slice of the market.

From some  research I did  some years back any new  7/11 outlet  only goes ahead after market research establishes potential customer  volume justifies it and that it is  not of significant  detriment to existing outlets.  It seems that there is no individual "ownership". Only contractual "Management".

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

From some  research I did  some years back any new  7/11 outlet  only goes ahead after market research establishes potential customer  volume justifies it and that it is  not of significant  detriment to existing outlets.  It seems that there is no individual "ownership". Only contractual "Management".

pure BS ! the do not care, they do not risk any of THEIR money !

Can’t remember what the con is . It’s either they let people open them and give them all the stock etc and when it becomes successful they start holding stock and at the same time open their own right beside the first and their own has everything and makes the older one unattractive so it struggles and goes bust but 7-11 company still own the building and get paid by the person quitting due to signed contract . Or it’s a case of they give a franchise to someone near a successful place saying look how good it will be and they then have two franchises and then strangle the first one by lacking stock and they then quit and then 7/11 get another person to sign up and then continue over every place they give out to people wanting a franchise.

On 8/29/2020 at 6:18 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I can see the logic in that, and if I am honest the new 7-eleven will be far more convenient than the old one, which necessitated going through traffic lights, crossing a main road and going through traffic lights on the return and turning right off a main road, always dodgy, even if you indicate.

It is a bit like like having petrol stations both sides of the motorway.

Aha, not Wiang Chai then!

It's got a 7/11 next to the market, Tesco Lotus nearby, but no traffic lights!

CP will let just about anyone buy a franchise if they want to spend their hard earned monies.

We had 3 within 400 metres in central Bangkok & then they built a bigger one right bang in the middle.

One of the smaller ones has just gone now. Feel for the owners.

Why do they do this    PURE GREED by very wealthy people

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

Can’t remember what the con is . It’s either they let people open them and give them all the stock etc and when it becomes successful they start holding stock and at the same time open their own right beside the first and their own has everything and makes the older one unattractive so it struggles and goes bust but 7-11 company still own the building and get paid by the person quitting due to signed contract . Or it’s a case of they give a franchise to someone near a successful place saying look how good it will be and they then have two franchises and then strangle the first one by lacking stock and they then quit and then 7/11 get another person to sign up and then continue over every place they give out to people wanting a franchise.

Is this the conspiracy theory thread ?

On 8/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, scorecard said:

Who knows the ultimate answer, but:

- Could be to reduce sales at other mini marts etc, therefore reduce their profits.

- Get a few more people familiar with 7

- Overall operating costs:

- All shops in Thailand have an advantage in terms of salary & benefits costs,

compared to other countries salary & benefits is a much lower % of all operating costs, so

overall a few more staff doesn't break the bank and possibly is a key factor in why the new

nearby shop could make some profit.  (Some companies would have a policy that even at zero

profit/zero loss it's worthwhile to operate the extra shops to disrupt the competition; steal

some of their revenues, wow the customers with better customer service and step by step

build a bigger customer base.)

- The logistics/resupply costs. Their resupply vehicles already go to the first 7 shop, adding

another drop off point is only a small cost (but all the shops on that resupply run would be

paying an equal share of these costs). The proportion paid by the other shops obviously drops

therefore these shops would have improved profits.

I agree. There is some method to their apparent madness. Looking at how often they are overstaffed I'm guessing that opening multiple stores in close proximity has more to do with provincial hiring thresholds, tax breaks, etc that make good business sense. Relative profit levels of individual stores is likely irrelevant in the bigger picture. 

A Thai friend and her son considered taking a 7-11 franchise, and went on the indoctrination course. 

They learned that if their profits rose over a certain pre-determined limit, the franchisers WOULD open another store close by. It seems the strategy is to have many small outlets rather than a few big ones.

My friends walked away from the deal.

• Like 2

I don't know the details exactly but I've read somewhere a few years ago that it is a sophisticated 'game' .

The owner from the first store get the possibillity to start the second shop.

If he refuse, somebody start the second, all organized by the 7/11 company, I remember also it is a dirty game and you don't always have a choice.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:00 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

It would appear that logic has absolutely no place in Thailand.

Is the new 7/11 a problem for you? No one is forcing you to go there. There must be more important things in life to worry about. I have three 7/11 + one Tesco Lotus Express within ~150 meters. Who cares? A better question is why do they open pharmacies in every corner? I have 5 pharmacies within ~75 meters and they just opened a new one 100 meters away. 

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is this the conspiracy theory thread ?

No it’s how they do it . It keeps them turning over . They use the franchise customers as prospectors to find out if the area is viable and if so they come in to that area and keep it for themselves and first person in the area who thought they had a goldmine gets forced out .

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:08 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

I will say one thing, and that is compared to Tesco Lotus who opened a store a few months back not far from the original 7-eleven, the milk that Tesco sold had a best before date like today, and 7-eleven had milk that was good for a week or more.

Tesco are a disgrace, whether it is the company or the employees, either way they are a disgrace, all of their products are out of date.

Even my wife who doesn't complain, has noticed it. 

CP chicken group owns both Tesco Lotus and 7-eleven.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 2:59 AM, Gumballl said:

And enjoy the aircon.

I agree. Sometimes while walking to somewhere I have stopped into a 7-11 to cool down. A real service I believe!

If only 500 metres apart you can keep cool as you amble. Oh, they sell things too? Never noticed.

• Haha 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:56 PM, Pilotman said:

goodness only knows.  In my local town, Ban Chang, they have just competed 4 more, all within around 500 metres of each other, to add to the 3 that were already in the near vicinity. And to top it all, they all have parking for lots of vehicles, and they all, but all, sell exactly the same things.  No differentiation whatsoever.  It defies logic

Its called saturation marketing... 

To you it makes no sense having multiple stores all selling identical products in close proximity.

To 7-11 chain they don't care which shop you go in, they get all the business.

• Sad 1