Friend with Full (800k) Retirement Ext Stuck in EU

17 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Can he get a 60-90 day O/A in Italy and then convert back to his Retirement ONLY when he is allowed to return? He can't come in on a 30 day Tourist and then explain his bad luck at Immigration? Regarding Phuket, I know a UK lady from BKK who had to stay (and pay) in a Chatuchak hotel when she flew back from her mother's funeral. Who makes the choice? Are you given a list?

he can come here on a 60 day tourist, and start the process with that.

I know this for a fact, because its what I did.

Its easy.

but who knows when he can enter, maybe 2022?

16 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Speaking for myself here, I am on Ret Ext here for many years (just did it CW 4 weeks ago) but I need to go to the UK for sick parent, to Spain to look at property, to Malaysia for business and to Malta to see friends.

With all of these options I am looking at quarantine in each country (if it's open) plus 14 days when I come back. Correct?

I know that they recently said "no tourists for a long time", but once air travel starts (Qatar say they are already flying), can I do all these things? If I can do all of these things I am happy to pay for a Q-Hotel in BKK for 14 days. Or is it much wiser to wait and wait? As a long-time resident retiree, am I allowed out and back again? Or am I barred from returning until all borders are down?

Eddy

Eddy.  You will not be able to re enter Thailand.  I also need to go to Spain, but I cannot because i wont be allowed back in here.

I am also on Ret Ext, have been for many years

Have you not been following what is going on here?

I am amazed you are even thinking about it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, onebir said:

Both imply moving significant funds to Thailand... but yes apparently that does 'mean nothing'...

If using the monthly deposit method as a retiree with an income letter, there's no need to move "significant funds" to Thailand. 

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

That depends on the bank. Some might allow you to have online banking by registering online. Some may allow registering but with very limited function until you visit a branch, others will not let you have online access without visiting you bank.

Just because there is a screen with the register option doesn’t mean anything specifically because you don’t have a Thai ID (pink numbers don’t count). I can show you a registration page for a credit card, doesn’t mean I can get one does it?

He said Bangkok Bank. I applied purely online. Easy.

19 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Can he get a 60-90 day O/A in Italy and then convert back to his Retirement ONLY when he is allowed to return? He can't come in on a 30 day Tourist and then explain his bad luck at Immigration? Regarding Phuket, I know a UK lady from BKK who had to stay (and pay) in a Chatuchak hotel when she flew back from her mother's funeral. Who makes the choice? Are you given a list?

Here is the list. They start at about 35,000 and go up to over 150,000 depending on the Hotel. The cheaper ones are very difficult to book. They include food as well. Click on the hotel and it will open up a list of google docs with the details on how to book and the price. 

Edited by wmlc

20 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Further to @wmlc:
http://www.thaiembassy.org/doha/en/news/3422/119035-Alternative-State-Quarantine-(ASQ)-in-Thailand.html
in the assumption that this link will be updated sooner or later.

Edited by KKr

2 hours ago, pontious said:

He said Bangkok Bank. I applied purely online. Easy.

I think it will require an OTP to complete registration. Even if  there is a successful registration it wouldn't help the original poster if you read the "Notes" at the bottom of the webpage: https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/Register/SignUp.aspx

1.  Please select card type and enter your card information
Card Type:
ATM/Be 1st Debit Card
Bangkok Bank Credit Card

Notes:
    If you apply with ATM/Be1st Debit Card, you’ll be able to
    View balance and transaction history
    Transfer money between own accounts linked with this card

If you apply with Credit Card, you’ll be able to
    View credit card activity and statement for past 3-months

To use all functions, please contact any Bangkok Bank branch or ATM.

22 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Most features like sending money to another account require an OTP sent to the Thai phone number on file at the bank.

This is not true i send money from my Bangkok bank via my phone app all the time while i am here in the UK with my UK sim card .It does send a notification to my Thai sim card but i never see it as its now switched off in another phone. Its a long time ago now but i may well of had to of sent a code back, originally sent to my Thai sim card to register/allow to do it

21 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You would probably have to get a confirmation code on the Thai phone number used when opening the account...pretty hard to get unless using one's Thai SIM with roaming in UK.

See my post above i think you are right but if you have a Thai sim it can be used while in the Uk

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

This is not true i send money from my Bangkok bank via my phone app all the time while i am here in the UK with my UK sim card .It does send a notification to my Thai sim card but i never see it as its now switched off in another phone. Its a long time ago now but i may well of had to of sent a code back, originally sent to my Thai sim card to register/allow to do it

When you add a third party account number that you will occasionally transfer baht too for initial setup a OTP is sent to your Thai number on file at the bank. A OTP won't be required for subsequent transfers to that third party account and you can initiate transfers from anywhere then.

When you do a one time transfer to a third party account or to pay for an airline ticket for example you will receive a OTP sent to your Thai phone number every time.

6 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

I have been denied on-line banking with Bangkok Bank multiple times because I don't have a work permit.

That is the normal response when they do not know how to do something or not sure.  It is not required and they can confirm that with a phone call - but in my case they did not admit wrong after call but as a joint account said they would accept application from Thai wife and send mine along with it.  Hqs issued in my name no problem.

30 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Putting 800 k in a Thai bank for visa purposes and now can't even get back in country .. sums up the mess ! Would never commit such funds 

The money is safe in the bank account and the immigration rules are in place to facilitate a stay in the country. Entirely ones individual choice to make use of various options to have access to those funds from in country and abroad before departing the country via a bank card or online banking.

Edited by userabcd

Back to the original gist of this posting:

I MUST go back to Spain before 31 January 2021 (because Boris Brexit). I have property sitting there and I need to renew my old Spanish residency to avoid being an EU ghost.

But I also have a place here. I am on Ret Ext here for years.

I may not be as erudite as some people on here, I agree, but if I fly to Spain in October a) can I take my 800,000 and just go and b) will I not be allowed back in until the "tourists" are allowed back?

I know I will need to start the 800k thing again with an O/A if the delay goes on, but my CW ext is not due until 11 months hence. I could do all my business, come back and not touch my 800k?

I suppose I must consider if Spain requires quarantine (does it?) and, of course, they need to let the retired people back in before (in my case) next July 2021.

Am I missing something? Qatar is already flying, I think. So I guess people CAN leave tomorrow but CANNOT come back unless they quarantine for 80,000 baht (which I could do).

Or am I missing some key piece here? Is Civil Aviation operating? Can I fly to Madrid next week?

Eddy

13 hours ago, pauleddy said:

Back to the original gist of this posting:

I MUST go back to Spain before 31 January 2021 (because Boris Brexit). I have property sitting there and I need to renew my old Spanish residency to avoid being an EU ghost.

But I also have a place here. I am on Ret Ext here for years.

I may not be as erudite as some people on here, I agree, but if I fly to Spain in October a) can I take my 800,000 and just go and b) will I not be allowed back in until the "tourists" are allowed back?

I know I will need to start the 800k thing again with an O/A if the delay goes on, but my CW ext is not due until 11 months hence. I could do all my business, come back and not touch my 800k?

I suppose I must consider if Spain requires quarantine (does it?) and, of course, they need to let the retired people back in before (in my case) next July 2021.

Am I missing something? Qatar is already flying, I think. So I guess people CAN leave tomorrow but CANNOT come back unless they quarantine for 80,000 baht (which I could do).

Or am I missing some key piece here? Is Civil Aviation operating? Can I fly to Madrid next week?

Eddy

you can fly there, no problem (but best book directly with the airlines and verify the flight is not cancelled).

If you have 11 months to go on your permission to stay, get a re-entry permit before you go. There is a good chance (but not a certainty) that you will be able to return before it runs out.

re the 800K, you must keep it in the bank for 3 months after your extension and have it back in there for 2 months before the next extension and in the 7 months in between, the balance must be 400k or more.  So best would be to just leave it there, but if you need to you could withdraw up to 400k once you have passed the 3 month mark, being sure to replenish to 800k at least 2 months before the next extension.

At the present time only retirees married to Thais can come back (and that, with a lot of expense, delays and hassles and hoops to jump through) though there seems to be some talk of widening that to include retirees not married to a Thai (this is from newspaper articles so unclear).

And of course things could further open up in the coming 11 months (one hopes so).

But, be prepared that you may have a long stay abroad. You might prefer to wait and leave later in the year to reduce how long you may have to stay out of the country.

• Like 1