Tourism minister finally recognises that "virus free" expats can play important role in tourism recovery

webfact

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In Mexico, an expat is considered an "honorary Mexican" after just ten years of residency. But having said that, the Mexicans are better educated, less racist, have more knowledge and perspective, are more graceful and infinitely less ignorant than the officials are here.

I do wish that place was less violent and cheaper. I love Mexico, and the Mexican people. I have alot of fondness for the Thai people too, fortunately. The officials, police, the armed forces, customs and immigration excluded. 

Yeah...I'd love to live in a country where the cops killed like 60 students in a school bus I believe and just buried them somewhere in the jungle (or was it the desert). With all its problems, I'll stick to Thailand thank you, honorary Thai or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samisaurus said:

Reading this makes me want to learn Spanish and head over to south america. It's something ive been considering for a while. Basically run my online business from there whilst living in various countries (Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Argentina) without all the visa hassles and such (Most allow 3 months and then there's various hassle free ways to extend). As well I get the feeling I'd be treated better by locals and from friends who've lived there... they've loved every moment of it. 

What's keeping you...adios.

56 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Retirees bring direct foreign investment into country. Thais and working expats mostly wash each other's shirts. If aything, retirees and investors should be treated equally: with respect.

"Direct foreign investment," how so? By definition they're retired and not working (or not supposed to). All they do is bring foreign exchange into the country and spend it on goods and services to fund their stay...like any tourist. If a retiree can't afford to take a trip without the benefit of a 40% government subsidy, maybe they should just stay home. Just my opinion.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I cannot even count the number of things I would do differently. Expats would be treated like national heroes, for one. Long term visa fees would be waived entirely. I would lobby for an easy path to permanent residency, for any expat living here over ten years. The list goes on. 

And Thailand would benefit immensely.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MadMac said:

Yeah well, congrats on that. What immi was it? I have seen many people paying up in CW because they did not have the correct TM30. But as everything in this country, tomorrow all may be different again ????

Sorry, I am coming back on this as I missed one part : "not the correct one"

There is no way the immigration officers knows, as they do not even check, whether the TM 30's date mentioned is correct or not, unless, of course, the date is prior to your entry visa. You will be asked to go to another section to pay the fine because you do not have a TM 30 not because the date is not correct.

As for the rest I have replied quite accurately and abundantly

Enjoy the rest of the week

10 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

"Direct foreign investment," how so? By definition they're retired and not working (or not supposed to). All they do is bring foreign exchange into the country and spend it on goods and services to fund their stay...like any tourist. 

Tourists don't buy condos or houses for their wives, or cars, etc.

21 hours ago, Mavideol said:

not for me, it's clear they need our money, double charging, visa hurdles to get more money and many more, if they were smart (I know I am asking too much) they would have used us from the beginning, who better then us, expats, can promote Thailand, some of us spend a huge amount on a monthly basis, we could spend more if they knew how to work with us, all has to do with attitude and trust.... they should change their attitude towards us and they should act as they care and as if they know what they doing and/or speaking about, built our trust, stop the BS

I see no evidence that either Hi-So or those of high position within any organisation in Thailand even trust each other. So why does anyone expect them to trust us.

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Tourists don't buy condos or houses for their wives, or cars, etc.

Correct...but I would classify those as consumption. Unless they are buying condos/houses and cars to rent out and produce income, that can be taxed, and employ people to do it, paying wages and social taxes, these are consumption purchases, not investments.

And still they do not get it clearly as they say "recognise that they can play a role" while it is "expats have been and are still playing the main role". It is not only about the spendings of expats, it is mostly that we also do have unique and creative businesses, to cater all tourists + locals as well. Without that influx we would still sit on small plastic chairs drinking hongthong with noodles. 

Edited by ChaiyaTH

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

In Mexico, an expat is considered an "honorary Mexican" after just ten years of residency. But having said that, the Mexicans are better educated, less racist, have more knowledge and perspective, are more graceful and infinitely less ignorant than the officials are here.

I do wish that place was less violent and cheaper. I love Mexico, and the Mexican people. I have alot of fondness for the Thai people too, fortunately. The officials, police, the armed forces, customs and immigration excluded. 

Yep.  Ditto.  Wonderful place in many ways, but.....crazy violent nowadays.

On 9/1/2020 at 10:35 AM, NCC1701A said:

i'm doing my part right now.

staying in a hotel in Bangkok 100 meters from Crazy House. 

been here for 2 months and booked until October.

Man! Crazy house is well named!

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

If they're so flush, they can take advantage of the already very promotional rates on offer by most hotels. This is a pandemic situation...not normal times. Those who can afford to pay should not be relying on the already strained government purse. 

Those that can afford to pay should all be paying the same. No discrimination.

7 hours ago, johnray said:

I agree with Pipat Ratchakitprakarn.  Students and workers should see unseen Thailand in order to boost tourism.

How can they be Students but at the same time be tourists, aren't they suppose to be studying. Workers are on a work permit, not a tourist permit. This does not make sense.

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:
5 hours ago, Keesters said:

A lot of retirees can be paying more into the country by foreign remittance and spending power than a low paid foreign worker who sucks money out of the country. 

Anyway it is not about money it is about discrimination. If you want to make it about money then means test everybody not just draw arbitrary lines. 

If they're so flush, they can take advantage of the already very promotional rates on offer by most hotels. This is a pandemic situation...not normal times. Those who can afford to pay should not be relying on the already strained government purse. 

Edited 5 hours ago by Pattaya Spotter

The purpose of the government's current tourism subsidy program is to help hotels and airlines that are struggling, not to help poor people take vacations. There's no means test, and wealthy Thais are welcome to participate. That being the case, there's no particular reason not to let the relatively small number of foreigners here help out the tourism industry as well. But it's a Thai Government policy, so up to them to set the rules.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The purpose of the government's current tourism subsidy program is to help hotels and airlines that are struggling, not to help poor people take vacations. There's no means test, and wealthy Thais are welcome to participate. That being the case, there's no particular reason not to let the relatively small number of foreigners here help out the tourism industry as well. But it's a Thai Government policy, so up to them to set the rules.

I doubt many poor people will take a vacation, subsidy or not. I stand by my opinion that there is nothing wrong with a Thai taxpayer funded subsidy program for the tourism industry being limited to Thai nationals. I might also suggest foreigners with WPs also be included because they pay income and social fund taxes from their earnings or salaries. There is no reason for the government to subsidize the holidays of retirees in the country...who, if they have the means, can avail themselves of the already special discount rates at almost all hotels at the moment.

7 hours ago, samisaurus said:

Reading this makes me want to learn Spanish and head over to south america. It's something ive been considering for a while. Basically run my online business from there whilst living in various countries (Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Argentina) without all the visa hassles and such (Most allow 3 months and then there's various hassle free ways to extend). As well I get the feeling I'd be treated better by locals and from friends who've lived there... they've loved every moment of it. 

Alot of Latinos have a natural warmth and a delightful sense of hospitality. They can be very welcoming. Inclusive. Open. In addition, the men can be downright interesting, well educated, and curious. Something you are hard pressed to find here. Imagine having some intellectually and culturally stimulating, good male friends here? That is something that is impossible for me to wrap my mind around, and something I miss. And there is the incredible culture. And temperate weather. 

However, as enticing as all of that is, the security situation there is a real hurdle and it is quite a bit more expensive than Thailand. And I have a great wife here. So, it is what it is. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rumak said:

A trip into my past........ 40 years ago flying into Puerto Vallarta (at that time basically just one long street),   then a boat ride to Yelapa.    Staying in a hut in paradise.  No access by road. 

Always was in my mind as a possible location to relocate.... but Thailand did have one advantage (gee, can anyone guess ?) 

At our age,  Thailand is still easy enough ,  peaceful , and if just stay under the radar only the uncertainty of when the moving papers might arrive .  Other than that I avoid all officials everywhere,

if at all possible.  

image.jpeg.100bc32fe4dcdc11ff4e4154d494b047.jpeg

Any and all officials here are the epitome of toxic and are to be avoided at all costs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yeah...I'd love to live in a country where the cops killed like 60 students in a school bus I believe and just buried them somewhere in the jungle (or was it the desert). With all its problems, I'll stick to Thailand thank you, honorary Thai or not.

As if the cops here are squeaky clean. One can only imagine. 

28 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Any and all officials here are the epitome of toxic and are to be avoided at all costs. 

The reason is apparent when you visit the Grand Palace: The officials used to live and work nearby and still consider themselves overlords of the country. Even the desk clerk at the <deleted> end of Nakhon Nowhere eeking out a minimum salary on a dead end job.

13 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Nobody said they were...but at least they don't murder bus loads of students...and a decade or so on have still not suffered any repercussions. 

No. They only do everything in their power to protect wealthy murderers. And all other wealthy or well connected criminals. Is there some sort of moral superiority in that? Repercussions? Unheard of here. 

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. They only do everything in their power to protect wealthy murderers. And all other wealthy or well connected criminals. Is there some sort of moral superiority in that? Repercussions? Unheard of here. 

Funny you keep putting up straw-men to slay...doing so does nothing to support your argument that Mexico is some retiree paradise. There is good and bad in both places...for me, I'd rather live in a country where the police don't feel they can murder a school bus full of students with impunity, and which has one of the world's lowest corona virus infection/death rates in the world, than a country where the police feel they can and has one of the highest.