UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

A guy comes onto a thread to which he has, to the best of my knowledge, made no previous contribution and suggested, for no discernible reason, that is should be canned, and, when he is politely told to move on if not interested, you use this as an excuse to insult from on top of your high horse? Grow up. 

We need previous experience before we can post now. ????????????

• Like 1

An interesting article about should the SNP partition themselves from the rest of the UK they could also end up partitioning themselves from other parts of Scotland and could end up like the north  and southern Ireland.

"If sufficient people in any part of Scotland voted against independence and if they felt strongly enough about it, they could demand that they were not dragged out of the UK against their will. Scotland does not have sovereignty over Scottish territory, because Scotland is not a sovereign independent nation state. Scots who voted for independence would have no right to claim the territory of those Scots who did not."

https://countrysquire.co.uk/2020/10/12/shetland-independence/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

A guy comes onto a thread to which he has, to the best of my knowledge, made no previous contribution and suggested, for no discernible reason, that is should be canned, and, when he is politely told to move on if not interested, you use this as an excuse to insult from on top of your high horse? Grow up. 

The poster did not suggest that the thread be canned and I did not see any politeness in the initial response from your pal. A truly grown-up outlook would be that we should all be as free as anyone else to comment. 

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I appreciate Effie's efficient dealings with the matter at hand:

"Could Shetland declare independence either from the UK or from Scotland? Could it declare that it was autonomous from either?

"In terms of law the answer is No."

Glad that we have put that one to bed.

Try reading it all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Well at least you are not arguing as to what it is. The problem for others is that they have to read it before they can make considered comment. 

Actually I was defending your right to post because I assumed he was talking about the nonsense unionists say.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, tebee said:

Why is it that Brexiters wanted to take back control from Brussels, but now also want to take back control from Scotland ?

Andrew Bowie MP - 

This worked so well before in the days of the Empire didn't it ?

Whose Empire was it?

(Think carefully about your answer).

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 7:15 AM, Rookiescot said:

If Scotland has such a huge deficit (it does not) why are you English/British nationalist so desperate to keep paying for it?

We're not. Many of the people of England have heard quite enough from the Scottish already.

Had the English been allowed to vote in the previous independence referendum you'd all be out in the cold on your own years back, of course as a newly independent nation you would automatically be removed from the EU long before the rest of the UK.

I expect a successful Scottish independence bid would be right up there with other major Scottish 'success stories' such as the 'Darien Scheme' ????

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, tebee said:

Andrew Bowie MP - 

'Our vision is for a country united and prosperous, sharing in the advantages and creative dynamism provided by our being one, United Kingdom. 

And this Internal Market Bill, is just the start. The UK Govt is back in Scotland. Get used to it.'

This worked so well before in the days of the Empire didn't it ?

Amazing, isn't it - any Scot who last voted in an election where the Tories won a majority in Scotland would be in their 80s now, yet this  nobody has the audacity to tell a country that has rejected his brand of nasty, vindictive greed at every election for the past 60 odd years that his unelected, unwanted Nasty Party is back and we need to get used to it? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

We're not. Many of the people of England have heard quite enough from the Scottish already.

Had the English been allowed to vote in the previous independence referendum you'd all be out in the cold on your own years back, of course as a newly independent nation you would automatically be removed from the EU long before the rest of the UK.

I expect a successful Scottish independence bid would be right up there with other major Scottish 'success stories' such as the 'Darien Scheme' ????

Have a word with your Brexiteer unionist mates then.

They all seem terrified of the idea of Scottish independence. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's not vitriol, many people in England feel the same, we speak between ourselves on occasion.

Scotland is an issue that hardly anyone cares about at all, it's not even an afterthought, it's an irrelevance.

You might have sounded convincing if it wasn't for your last paragraph. Either way, your feelings towards us are irrelevant. 

• Like 2

Just now, RuamRudy said:

It's almost like you can't think for yourself... 

Well you can think what you like, but first I must be told or see, then I go from there, don't you....?

Or do you sit around thinking that what you thought is the way it is, to me it seems to be the latter. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

It's not vitriol, many people in England feel the same, we speak between ourselves on occasion.

Scotland is an issue that hardly anyone cares about at all, it's not even an afterthought, it's an irrelevance.

I am a Unionist' you are obviously not; despite your handle!

But I firmly believe that the matter of Scottish independence is one for the Scottish people alone. If they want another referendum on the matter; let them have one.

Why are you so afraid of that?

As for allowing us English a vote (what about the Welsh and Northern Irish?); would you have agreed to the other 27 countries being allowed to vote in 2016?

• Like 2