Bank account recommendation.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

This thread belongs in banking forum. Apart from first page advising on how to open account it's gone to chat about transfer companies and financial nonsense.

If you want to open an account you have to know which bank might be best for you. To open an account at a bank without knowing the implications is financial nonsense. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2020 at 3:25 PM, ubonjoe said:

I use Bangkok Bank and have not a problem with them. Also they do have a list of what they require.

See: https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Just a minimum of 500 baht to open an account.

Whilst I do like Bangkok Bank and have had no real problems with them, apart from having to ask for a debit card that wasn't "Union Pay", which I got in the end, but they do not have a good relationship with a Aetna!!!

I wanted to have Aetna direct debit my Bangkok bank account for my monthly health insurance, which is quite a hefty sum, however Aetna informed me that they will not deal with Bangkok Bank so I could not initiate a direct debit on my health insurance.

To overcome this I had to open another account in SCB, and every month I transfer money from my Bangkok Bank account into my SCB account so that Aetna can withdraw my monthly payment from SCB.

Have never heard of a major health insurance company refusing to deal with a major bank!!

Whatever you choose, do not expect the level of service you get from UK bank.

In Thailand the bank thinks it is doing you a favour to let you open a bank account.

You will be charged for every service.

probably the most local bank is the best bet. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Robin said:

Whatever you choose, do not expect the level of service you get from UK bank.

In Thailand the bank thinks it is doing you a favour to let you open a bank account.

You will be charged for every service.

probably the most local bank is the best bet. 

I find it the opposite to banks in the US. I find the service here much better. That said, there are some odd things the will and won't do. 

47 minutes ago, Nout said:

I use the yellow bank Krungsri. Pretty good and decent phone app and OL banking

Yeah, the phone app is great, but I might like Kasikorn's app a little better. Can't speak to Bangkok's app because they would not approve me to use online banking for the account I have with them. 

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, the phone app is great, but I might like Kasikorn's app a little better. Can't speak to Bangkok's app because they would not approve me to use online banking for the account I have with them. 

Not sure it is related to the account you have.

As for me, I have a basic savings account and I couldn't use Bangkok Bank's app and internet banking as long as I came to Thailand on 30 days visa exemption. When I got a 3 months non-O visa, these restrictions were lifted.

Edited by aixois

On 9/4/2020 at 3:16 PM, davidhen said:

folks,

In a couple of weeks time, as a prelude to applying for my first yearly retirement visa, I will need to open a bank a/c.

For all the financial advisors over 7 pages. This quote is from OP.

He needs to open account NOW on path to obtaining non o and annual extension.

He can change banks later at some point. 

The correct answer was given in very early post. 

Open account with least requirements.

Also can do on the spot.

OP that's your answer. Worry about services later. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, aixois said:

As for me, I have a basic savings account and I couldn't use Bangkok Bank's app and internet banking as long as I came to Thailand on 30 days visa exemption. When I got a 3 months non-O visa, these restrictions were lifted.

At the risk of getting another nasty-gram Dr.Jack, I think it may be because it is a joint account.

My Krungsri and Kasikorn both work anywhere, but these are not joint accounts. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I find it the opposite to banks in the US. I find the service here much better. That said, there are some odd things the will and won't do. 

I feel it is much better than in France too.

You can do many kinds of transactions on ATM, which is not the case in France. Even at your own bank ATM, there are few possible transaction.

Same for phone transaction (I am not speaking of phone app). In Thailand you can do much more transactions, almost any kind, which was very convenient for me when I fisrt had no access to phone app and internet banking.

17 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

At the risk of getting another nasty-gram Dr.Jack, I think it may be because it is a joint account.

My Krungsri and Kasikorn both work anywhere, but these are not joint accounts. 

Did you read post you quoted. That fella had issues when he was still on visa exempt entries. No issues after he obtained non o.

The OP is asking about obtaining a bank acc and then obtaining non O.

He won't any issues after that.

20 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you read post you quoted. That fella had issues when he was still on visa exempt entries. No issues after he obtained non o.

The OP is asking about obtaining a bank acc and then obtaining non O.

He won't any issues after that.

Sorry officer, I hope this is not going on my permanent record....

Indeed, your posts berating others are much more pertinent than others discussing the merits of various bank apps in a thread titled "Bank account recommendation."  

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Sorry officer, I hope this is not going on my permanent record....

Indeed, your posts berating others are much more pertinent than others discussing the merits of various bank apps in a thread titled "Bank account recommendation."  

For heaven's sake. Go and check all my posts in various threads.

Vast majority helping folk with advice. Hardly negative.

Just today I have noticed several corrections from experts regarding some of you posts. I realize your trying to be helpful. You have missed the point. Again read post #99. 

The OP has ZERO time to open an account.

He needs shop around Tuesday for any bank that will open him an account.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Just today I have noticed several corrections from experts regarding some of you posts. I realize your trying to be helpful. You have missed the point. Again read post #99. 

It was a joke Maynard, get  grip. The OP got all the info he needed early on in the thread. I recommended he go to the bank most convenient to his home  and work his way out. 

Most any bank that will open an account with work for him, but it is something of a <deleted>-shoot what branches are cooperative. 

I hope someone told him to wear a button-down shirt and some decent trousers....

On 9/4/2020 at 4:50 PM, FlyingThai said:

Interesting. Good to know, I complained many times to them about UP and they never offered the MC option. In the end I just stopped using that account.

Yes, but they will charge you extra for a new MC card plus a higher yearly fee versus the standard Chinese card. I opted for the extra fees as I prefer not to support Chinese enterprises.

By the way, if your branch says they don't know what you're on about, call 1300 Call Center and let your branch employee talk to them.

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Most any bank that will open an account with work for him, but it is something of a <deleted>-shoot what branches are cooperative. 

Finally we agree on one thing.

As I explained in my first post. 

I wanted to open FD account with my existing bank. Have been here 8 years.

Got rejected or more in my thinking is they didn't have a clue. BTW the bank clerk had excellent english. 

Next step was to my Thai partner bank. Nup.

Next was Bangkok bank Sukhumvit. Wanted embassy letter and rubbish from my Oz bank. <deleted>.

Next day I went to Kasikorn local bank.

Zero issues. Opened FD and savings ac.

The savings cost me 300baht to open with ATM card. Very happy.

Problem for OP is that unlike him, I had annual retirement stamp in my pp. 

Hence my comments that he needs accept anything he can get.

BTW didn't mean offend you. Just hope the OP gets onto it asap

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Finally we agree on one thing.

As I explained in my first post. 

I wanted to open FD account with my existing bank. Have been here 8 years.

Got rejected or more in my thinking is they didn't have a clue. BTW the bank clerk had excellent english. 

Next step was to my Thai partner bank. Nup.

Next was Bangkok bank Sukhumvit. Wanted embassy letter and rubbish from my Oz bank. <deleted>.

Next day I went to Kasikorn local bank.

Zero issues. Opened FD and savings ac.

The savings cost me 300baht to open with ATM card. Very happy.

Problem for OP is that unlike him, I had annual retirement stamp in my pp. 

Hence my comments that he needs accept anything he can get.

BTW didn't mean offend you. Just hope the OP gets onto it asap

I wasn't offended,,,,

With the k-bank app you don't even need an ATM card....

1 hour ago, aixois said:

As I mentioned, I got my account (Bangkok Bank Branch diagonally opposite T21 at Asoke) about 4 years ago whilst on a 30 day Visa Exempt & was logged into the IBanking & the mobile app whilst still sat at the desk completing the process (In fact the beautiful young lady opening the account for me insisted I made sure everything was working ok before leaving)  

I don't know if it made a difference that I had somebody from Siam Legal helping me through the process (Their offices are in the building on the opposite side of Sukumvit Road so quite possibly use that branch for their business) & was opening the account with a 30,000 THB deposit. 

Edit: Forgot to mention, I was working in Singapore at the time so made it clear that I needed to be able to access the account & transfer money to the account from my bank there so they set the account up for international access & provided me with the relevant routing details, long forgotten as I use Transferwise nowadays but are probably still set-up in my SG Citibank account). 

Edited by Mike Teavee

6 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

don't know if it made a difference that I had somebody from Siam Legal helping me through the process (Their offices are in the building on the opposite of Sukumvit Road so quite possibly use that branch for their business) & was opening the account with a 30,000 THB deposit. 

I generally like your posts. The OP needs a bank account asap meaning yesterday. 

BTW 4 years ago was easy. Hells bells. 

I withdraw from this rubbish thread 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Just go to banks and wave a lot of bank notes in your hands. Not all of them can resist. It is that simple. If you come like a beggar you will be treated like one. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I generally like your posts. The OP needs a bank account asap meaning yesterday. 

BTW 4 years ago was easy. Hells bells. 

I withdraw from this rubbish thread 

I agree, things are much, much tougher nowadays & he will be very lucky to be able to open an account on a Visa Exempt without having to spend 5-6,000 on some unwanted insurance product.

If it were me I'd bite the bullet, pay the extra 4K for the agent who was doing my extension & get them to open an account with Bangkok Bank for me...

Just look at it like the extension cost 18,000 & relax knowing that your stay in Thailand is sorted for the next 12 months ????  

Edited by Mike Teavee

Just now, Oldie said:

Just go to banks and wave a lot of bank notes in your hands. Not all of them can resist. It is that simple. If you come like a beggar you will be treated like one. 

You making this stuff up. 

2 minutes ago, Oldie said:

In all my above posts regarding open a new account, I had 800k plus in carry bag. I asked about open new account and pointed out fact I wished to deposit 1mil on the spot. Meant nothing.

Report personal experience rather than gossip.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

it were me I'd bite the bullet, pay the extra 4K for the agent who was doing my extension & get them to open an account with Bangkok Bank for me...

Good advice. If op comes to Thailand visa exempt then next day he should use agent for bank account. Think it's 5-6k baht.

Then move to next step with or without agent.

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You making this stuff up. 

In all my above posts regarding open a new account, I had 800k plus in carry bag. I asked about open new account and pointed out fact I wished to deposit 1mil on the spot. Meant nothing.

Report personal experience rather than gossip.

If you come to a bank without being a customer already and tell them that you want to deposit 800.000 Baht that you have in your carry bag or even higher amounts then you have no idea about banks and laws like money laundering. It is just useless gossip. You even might find banks but it is illegal. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

How was I able to do it. Again posting rubbish without first hand experience.

You are a genius and your bank doesn't care about laws - not correct. You don't care about laws too. But anyhow - what is your advice for foreigners to open a bank account in Thailand and at which bank? Come with a bag full of money? How did you pass the customs with all this money in a bag? A lot of advice is needed. 

Edited by Oldie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Oldie said:

You are a genius and your bank doesn't care about laws - not correct. You don't care about laws too. But anyhow - what is your advice for foreigners to open a bank account in Thailand and at which bank? Come with a bag full of money? How did you pass the customs with all this money? A lot of advice is needed. 

Your embarrassing yourself.

For the new account to open Kasikorn bank I used OFX (same transferwise) to transfer 1 mil into my Ktb bank.

I realize this is not for OP as he does not have bank here.

I withdrew 800k from Ktb and walked into Kasikorn. No issues.

Prior to using transfer money companies previously carried cash AUD into Thailand. 

There is no limit how much cash you bring into Thailand. However you need to declare. Simple process.

Under 15kusd (I think) no need to declare.