Fears drive top-flight feedback blitz on ‘Phuket Model’

webfact

1 hour ago, rwill said:

Instead of Phuket perhaps combine the program with a tourist stay at a selected prison.  I hear they are great tourist attractions.

you did not read a post where they - government - actually proposed that... well, visiting prisons as tourist attracking

maybe add : attend live execution for a premium ?  be one of the 10-12 doing the shooting for a million extra ?

• Sad 1

Even if Thailand as a whole is covid-19 free, even if there is no quarantine, the vast majority of Thailand tourists from outside Thailand wont be coming anytime soon, it's a question of economics. When lockdown gets lifted abroad the last thing on an employers mind is to give people holidays and the last thing on an employees mind is finding the money he hasn't got to go on holiday. People are in debt, they are worried about whether they still have a job or whether they are going to be evicted from their homes. Consolidation of personal finances and keeping in employment are going to be uppermost on peoples minds. The UK, (2 trillion pounds worth of debt) and probably others, will be raising taxes further minimising disposable income on top of personal credit card debt which people have had to accrue during lockdown. Wait a few years Thailand, no doubt tourism will pick up again but you have a long haul in front of you.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

One local infection and this idea is dead as a dodo, bit like Phuket is without tourists.

4 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

One local infection and this idea is dead as a dodo, bit like Phuket is without tourists.

Love your signature can I join you and use it?
People power, our power!   We are the power, we are the people, we are the 99%! 

2 hours ago, TKDfella said:

'Yes it is...no it isn't...maybe...maybe not...er, we don't know let's go ask the public...PM says borders not open anytime soon'. Gee these people simply have no idea. Like many other TV members have said, there isn't going to be a tourist rush considering all the restrictions. Why doesn't the government/TAT etc. just accept the international situation and get on with some real solid domestic plan?

You mean a plan like the installation of roadside lights on a nearby major 2 lane road which they are now removing because they are widening the road to 4 lanes?Is that the sort of plan you mean?If it's worth doing it's worth doing 3 or 4 times I always say!  

48 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Even if Thailand as a whole is covid-19 free, even if there is no quarantine, the vast majority of Thailand tourists from outside Thailand wont be coming anytime soon, it's a question of economics. When lockdown gets lifted abroad the last thing on an employers mind is to give people holidays and the last thing on an employees mind is finding the money he hasn't got to go on holiday. People are in debt, they are worried about whether they still have a job or whether they are going to be evicted from their homes. Consolidation of personal finances and keeping in employment are going to be uppermost on peoples minds. The UK, (2 trillion pounds worth of debt) and probably others, will be raising taxes further minimising disposable income on top of personal credit card debt which people have had to accrue during lockdown. Wait a few years Thailand, no doubt tourism will pick up again but you have a long haul in front of you.

The most well balanced and thoughtful posting I have read on this particular subject to date.

• Like 1

As long as airfares are expensive and unreliable there will be NO tourism; don't understand why nobody in the Government seems able to see simple facts before getting further. Opening tourisme has to be with no or limited restriction, and needs to be monitored...not controlled. Holidays are to relax and not placing an extra burden on the willing holiday makers.

The Thai people respond to a resounding "we need to make a living", and you need to act and show us some courage, and prove to us that you are a real man. 

Quarantine, at a very high premium over the ordinary prices of hotels, which are quite low now. Appealing? Not for most. Only makes sense if you are planning on coming here for many months. So, what is there to lose? 

The toxic do nothing army is despised like never before. They have over extended their welcome. They need to go, and the sooner, the better. They know that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The toxic do nothing army is despised like never before. They have over extended their welcome. They need to go, and the sooner, the better. They know that. 

My wife has always refused to comment on politics here to me but even she said the same thing the other day with out me even mentioning it,so it's definitely time.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

yeah nice this quarantaine hotels 30000 bht for 15 days check out these hustlers

https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

many times 30 000 u mean

Starting at 30k which you probably cannot get because both rooms are booked, but you can get the "upgraded" room for 10k more.  Since everyone will go for the cheapest rooms they will be booked solid.  So then you are stuck with the "up to to 220K" rooms.  What a deal and totally not putting farangs in a position to be fleeced.  Sign me up.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

why would europeans bother all this useless ... if (europeans) they can go to france & spain ?

What about the fat bellied, tattooed brigade who want the cheap ladies which they can't get in their own country, never mind France and Spain. ????

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“The move follows Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn revealing that he believes the launch of the so-called “Phuket model” scheduled for next month as part of efforts to revive the local economy, is likely to be pushed back.”

Push it back as long as you wish, I would guess very few are queuing up for to the Phuket Prison Package. 

Precisely......proceed with prevaricating!  ????????

3 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Yet 66 people die daily on Thai roads...

it has become so obvious why the culture is unable to move forward on any major issue facing their society - road safety, air pollution, waste management, marine safety, electrical safety, corruption, drownings....

no commitment.....afraid of their own shadow, fear of failure, lack of risk taking in problem resolution, not allow constructive criticism....

the loss of face just kills any progress moving forward....better to do nothing and maintain status quo...

what is it called? mai bpen rai 

How true! They are afraid of their own shadow.

The whole country is a case of schizophrenia.

Their reaction towards Covid reminds my on what they do on the BTS stations: Having these glass barriers at the platforms and still believe they additionally need this whistling security guy to avoid that you fall on the tracks, while they still have 70 deaths on the roads every day, and while the rest of the world has up to 10 times safer roads and no problems with people falling on tracks, without barriers and whistles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

So many people are saying this but...... out of the 10 people I know who visit Thailand regularly, 8 of them (including me) are retired, the other 2 are self-employed/ work from home. We are ALL financially better off as a result of lockdown / restrictions in UK when we didn't go out and spend! In no way would I have wished for this, but "it is what it is"

Please do NOT think I'm gloating - I hate it all as much as everybody else - I'm merely pointing out that there are a lot of people to whom the above comments don't apply.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kadilo said:

“The move follows Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) Governor Yuthasak Supasorn revealing that he believes the launch of the so-called “Phuket model” scheduled for next month as part of efforts to revive the local economy, is likely to be pushed back.”

Push it back as long as you wish, I would guess very few are queuing up for to the Phuket Prison Package. 

I understand where you are coming from, but actually, I know of a number of people, long term residents who are stuck overseas, who have expressed considerable interest.  It is, after all, a way to get HOME.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Johnboxer said:

A good friend of mine just returned to Thailand  from uk as he has a Thai child there and lives there full time, he arrived on a special flight full of school teachers, did all the necessary  covid checks has to spend 14 days in hotel in Bangkok in isolation, 3days later gets a email from Thai Embassy saying one person on the plane had covid 19, we have no chance of getting back to Thailand this year, anyone have any ideas which country to spend Xmas in this year ????

I've been looking at Mexico.  I've always wanted to go and after spending 15 years in Thailand, maybe now is the perfect time to try somewhere else. 

Maybe they will treat us better too...

Edited by britishrepublican
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1