I can't make head nor tails of this

Kenny202

I understood that a test is required before flying. However if that is not true for thai nationals as pointed out, then why not?

Even with a test, it does not prove they dont have it when they get on the flight or develop symptoms up to 14 days after the test.

People could catch it on the flight.

The number of people found positive in quarantine clearly indicates it is real risk that people can bring it back into the country.

So thais should be tested before flying.

For the DJ tested positive the reports indicate they are checking over several hundred contacts.

What confounds most people is how he got it considering there is no covid here.

Edited by jojothai

10 minutes ago, jojothai said:

A test is required before flying, but that does not prove they dont have it when they get on the flight or develop symptoms up to 14 days after the test.

People could catch it on the flight.

The number of people found positive in quarantine clearly indicates it is real risk that people can bring it back into the country.

For the DJ tested positive the reports indicate they are checking over several hundred contacts.

What confounds most people is how he got it considering there is no covid here.

None of that makes sense? If everyone is tested and quarantined before they get on a flight surely 99% chance of everyone being clear on arrival. Are you saying that tests can show negative up to 14 days after infection? If so I can understand.

If Thais don't require testing until back home are they flying with foreigners who have been quarantined and tested?

Everyday up to 10 new infectious arrivals everyday, foreigners and Thais. Surely that could be prevented? or not?

Edited by Kenny202

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

If Thais don't require testing until back home are they flying with foreigners who do require testing?

Everyday up to 10 new infectious arrivals everyday, foreigners and Thais. Surely that could be prevented? or not?

Thais have a right of return to their country of citizenship. testing or not...they arrive and immediately go to 14 day quarantine. Foreigners have no such right of return and a positive test will result in removal from approved list to fly. So Thai's test positive go to quarantine, test negative go to quarantine....no effective difference in testing or not. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

None of that makes sense? If everyone is tested and quarantined before they get on a flight surely 99% chance of everyone being clear on arrival. Are you saying that tests can show negative up to 14 days after infection? If so I can understand.

If Thais don't require testing until back home are they flying with foreigners who do require testing?

I updated my post. Others point out that thais are not tested which is simply nonsense.

The evidence shows thais can also catch it, so would it not make sense to have them tested since they can be infecting others on the flight when that can be avoided.

Edited by jojothai
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

No requirement for Thai returning home to have covid tests.

Being infected a second time has been proven to be possible.

there were also several other nationalities that arrived recently infected already, a US citizens and Filipinos among several others, i have raised the very same question twice before and expect an answer really...

2 minutes ago, jojothai said:

I updated my post. Others point out that thais are not tested which is simply nonsense.

The evidence shows thais can also catch it, so would it not make sense to have them tested since they can be infecting others on the flight when that can be avoided.

huh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Thais have a right of return to their country of citizenship. testing or not...they arrive and immediately go to 14 day quarantine. Foreigners have no such right of return and a positive test will result in removal from approved list to fly. So Thai's test positive go to quarantine, test negative go to quarantine....no effective difference in testing or not. 

The difference is that if they have it they can infect others on the flight.

Its nonsense to discriminate and allow the thais to do so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not disputing their right to return to their own country. Of course not but if they are mixing tested and untested people on a flight it seems to negate the need for non Thais to quarantine or test before leaving?

No...non Thais will be refused entry if positive. That is a country's perogative to protect against foreigners who are deemed dangerous to the state. You cannot seem to wrap your head around the fact that any country will keep undesireables out...infected individuals are undesireable and testing is one way to determine that. 

1 minute ago, jojothai said:

The difference is that if they have it they can infect others on the flight.

Its nonsense to discriminate and allow the thais to do so.

I hope this doesn't turn into an us and them post, not my intention. Just after a few facts to educate myself. Totally confused over the whole thing and no one seems to have any facts. Surely if you test and everyone who gets on a flight and enters Thailand is cleared already, no Covid would enter Thailand, not several infections a day anyway. It would appear to me either the tests are inconclusive, there is an undetectable incubation period or not everyone is being tested before arrival

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Not disputing their right to return to their own country. Of course not but if they are mixing tested and untested people on a flight it seems to negate the need for non Thais to quarantine or test before leaving?

14 day quarantine should take care of all people tested or not. The will be swabed several times in quarantine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jojothai said:

?

If a thai is not tested, then they are potentially allowing infected people on the flight for others to get infected which does not make sense.

I agree with you, but your post doesn't read like that. I realize it doesn't make sense, but what are the facts? Are they mixing tested and no tested people on flights?

As for the right to turn away infected foreigners, totally agree. But it doesn't seem to be the case as they are reporting infected foreigners in quarantine everyday. I assume they treat them in Thailand if they are already at the quarantine stage, they don't put them back on an aircraft?

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

14 day quarantine should take care of all people tested or not. The will be swabed several times in quarantine. 

Understand that, but again wouldn't you be better quarantining and testing BEFORE departure?

36 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah, after they have arrived home.

Read the OP and you will understand my reply better.

They are Thai citizens and unlike foreigners, they cannot be barred from entering the country, whether they have covid or not. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jojothai said:

and the authorities want you to get onto the plane that carried infected persons into Thailand and return to your home country, or wherever .  Can't convince me that these planes are adequately cleaned and sterilized before the turnaround flight.

11 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Understand that, but again wouldn't you be better quarantining and testing BEFORE departure?

In theory it may seem a good idea, but in practise people are exposed to several layers of potential to catch it. On transport to the airport, at check in, in the terminal, on the flight.

Everybody there cannot have been quarantined and tested all the time, so IMHO its more appropriate to get the clearance on arrival.

Edited by jojothai

Constant stream of people coming into Thailand ?  What world you living in ? Those few coming in have to quarantine either in a gov facility or hotel paid for ! They can do  no exercise and can just open the window in their room and meals are left by the door three times a day! Thailand has most strict rules !...too strict . Oh and they are tested for covid twice in the 14 days . I agree .. " can't make sense of this ".  Self quarantine should be allowed 

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

there were also several other nationalities that arrived recently infected already, a US citizens and Filipinos among several others, i have raised the very same question twice before and expect an answer really...

I think it is reasonable to assume that milling around in Thai society there are more asymptomatic covid carriers.  People who feel fine in themselves and display no symptoms are not going to be targeted for testing . They will probably pass it on to others who might contract it but also be asymptomatic and so they also don't get tested.

I don't think man can triumph over Covid19 any more than it has with other types of flu. It's out there now and we are going to have to live with it. There are flu vaccines but people still die of flu . Most victims will be the old and the weak. Just the way it is.

Edited by trucking
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

If Thais don't require testing until back home are they flying with foreigners who have been quarantined and tested?

The answer is to not think to much into it. For non Thais it is a hoop jumping situation and running around to get tested and obtain all the necessary documents. Not the same for Thais. Yes they do mix on the repatriation flights, but supposedly wearing mSks and such is suppose to keep covid at bay.  Nothing really makes sense but if you just go with the flow and accept what you can not then there will be no stress in your life.  Time for me to go meditate over my double expresso and French roast cup of Joe. Enjoy your day 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

They are Thai citizens and unlike foreigners, they cannot be barred from entering the country, whether they have covid or not. 

Never said they could be barred.... are you sure you are qouting the correct post ?