I can't make head nor tails of this

Kenny202

6 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Constant stream of people coming into Thailand ?  What world you living in ? Those few coming in have to quarantine either in a gov facility or hotel paid for ! They can do  no exercise and can just open the window in their room and meals are left by the door three times a day! Thailand has most strict rules !...too strict . Oh and they are tested for covid twice in the 14 days . I agree .. " can't make sense of this ".  Self quarantine should be allowed 

Self quarantine should be allowed, lol.  You see how that worked before here, it didn't.  That's why they have the rules they have now. So in essence no one is treated differently, well except for the flights.

27 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Understand that, but again wouldn't you be better quarantining and testing BEFORE departure?

Yes it would be better, but how would that be done. Tested, quarantined, and then transported to your plane without coming into contact with any other people?

54 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

None of that makes sense? If everyone is tested and quarantined before they get on a flight surely 99% chance of everyone being clear on arrival. Are you saying that tests can show negative up to 14 days after infection? If so I can understand.

If Thais don't require testing until back home are they flying with foreigners who have been quarantined and tested?

Everyday up to 10 new infectious arrivals everyday, foreigners and Thais. Surely that could be prevented? or not?

A test when flying says nothing you can still have it and the test can come out negative.  It takes time to develop. So that is why the 14 day window is kept. 

Same actually with AIDS  if you have a test in the afternoon but had sex with an carrier in the morning the disease does not show up yet. That is why multiple test and quarantine are often done to make sure your really not infected.

3 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Yes it would be better, but how would that be done. Tested, quarantined, and then transported to your plane without coming into contact with any other people?

Of course it could be done. Whole idea of quarantine. If you are going to be quarantined for 14 days then exposed to other non quarantined people or possibly infected surfaces etc there really is no point. I would imagine only quarantined and cleared people on the van or bus or whatever, Hazmet suits if necesary. If there are quarantined and non quarantined....tested / non tested people on the flight then forget everything I just wrote.

It appears I am not alone. Everyone has opinions and hearsay but no real facts nor can I find anything that makes even remote sense in the media. It would appear the tests are very uncertain at best. No one seems to know whats going on and we're no closer to any solutions or preventative measures than we were at the start of this thing. I mean they couldn't even decide if masks were effective or not. The best possible explanation I have heard is the Chinese and Americans where working on this thing together. The thing escaped from a lab. And I am sure our governments know far more than what they are letting on. Why else would every country in the world go into near immediate lock down? Will there be a cure or vaccine? I doubt it and I think at higher levels this is already known. Reason for the constant lack of information. Or maybe it is just because everything is now is computer modelling, and we have completely lost the ability to use our common sense. 

52 minutes ago, jojothai said:

?

If a thai is not tested, then they are potentially allowing infected people on the flight for others to get infected which does not make sense.

You the foreigner get to sit up front... for triple the cost in business class of course. And this somehow protects you... It's a fair question. If the plane is full of un-tested people then why are the 5-10 foreigners on the plane even testing. They can test out in ASQ quarantine like the Thais do... it's blatant discrimination. 

Edited by Tounge Thaied
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

A test when flying says nothing you can still have it and the test can come out negative.  It takes time to develop. So that is why the 14 day window is kept. 

Same actually with AIDS  if you have a test in the afternoon but had sex with an carrier in the morning the disease does not show up yet. That is why multiple test and quarantine are often done to make sure your really not infected.

HIV (Not AIDs) can actually be up to 3 months for a positive test....although very unusual... normally ten days - 3 weeks. It certainly wont show up in an afternoon test from a morning infection. I did read that this was closely related (maybe the same family?) to HIV virus 

1 hour ago, jojothai said:

For the DJ tested positive the reports indicate they are checking over several hundred contacts.

What confounds most people is how he got it considering there is no covid here.

Why does it confound people? There are hundreds if not thousands crossing the land borders illegally daily.

50 minutes ago, jojothai said:

?

If a thai is not tested, then they are potentially allowing infected people on the flight for others to get infected which does not make sense.

So what do the authorities do if they force a test on a returning citizen prior to boarding a flight and said citizen tests positive, stop them returning home?

The percentage of people testing positive in quarantine really isn't that great, what it is showing is that, unfortunately, quarantine upon arrival is necessary at the moment.

49 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Understand that, but again wouldn't you be better quarantining and testing BEFORE departure?

Best solution, IMO is, this is of course if the Thais are not quarantine or testing prior to departure, to not require any quarantine or testing and simply require everyone to do their 14 days quarantine and test out in Bangkok. Done. It is beyond stupid and a complete waste to test 72 hours before you get on a plane full of un-tested people. Why test before you get on in a situation like that? Just do your 14 days and two tests on arrival. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

HIV (Not AIDs) can actually be up to 3 months for a positive test....although very unusual... normally ten days - 3 weeks. It certainly wont show up in an afternoon test from a morning infection. I did read that this was closely related (maybe the same family?) to HIV virus 

I gave an example as i did not look up the exact times. But if you know this why did you not understand that the same thing applied to covid ?

I mean you seem to understand how it works (in this case you knew the time-frame better then me I knew there was a time-frame but did not know how long or look it up) why did you not  use that knowledge to understand this.

Anyway i think now you know why there is still quarantine and extra testing after a first test.

I have had a conversation with someone who came back from quarantine. She is from Singapore. She was not too happy about the service. She paid extra for an expensive hotel but the hotel was not that great. They really forgot they were service bound. They messed us so many things unbelievable. If i had not known her for being honest i would not have believed it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robblok said:

I gave an example as i did not look up the exact times. But if you know this why did you not understand that the same thing applied to covid ?

I mean you seem to understand how it works (in this case you knew the time-frame better then me I knew there was a time-frame but did not know how long or look it up) why did you not  use that knowledge to understand this.

Anyway i think now you know why there is still quarantine and extra testing after a first test.

I have had a conversation with someone who came back from quarantine. She is from Singapore. She was not too happy about the service. She paid extra for an expensive hotel but the hotel was not that great. They really forgot they were service bound. They messed us so many things unbelievable. If i had not known her for being honest i would not have believed it.

I didn't know that the same thing does apply to COVID? re undetectable incubation period. Why would I put the two together? Why I am asking the question.

You are the only one that stated this.... and since you don't know the difference between HIV or AIDs, or the facts relating to its testing, and therefore don't even know why you mentioned it, I assume you are someone trying to sound like someone in the know. Rhetoric....same as your, I know someone who went to quarantine. Don't try to have a battle of wits if you are clearly fighting unarmed

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I didn't know that the same thing does apply to COVID? re undetectable incubation period. Why would I put the two together? Why I am asking the question.

You are the only one that stated this.... and since you don't know the difference between HIV or AIDs, or the facts relating to its testing, and therefore don't even know why you mentioned it, I assume you are someone trying to sound like someone in the know. Rhetoric....same as your, I know someone who went to quarantine. Don't try to have a battle of wits if you are clearly fighting unarmed

Ok sorry I thought it was clear that this is how it generally works with a virus. There is always an undetectable incubation period. How long varies per virus. Just thought you would have put 1 and 1 together. My mistake.

My reason for thinking this was because you were so informed about AIDS.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Ok sorry I thought it was clear that this is how it generally works with a virus. There is always an undetectable incubation period. How long varies per virus. Just thought you would have put 1 and 1 together. My mistake.

My reason for thinking this was because you were so informed about AIDS.

ok ????

1 hour ago, Tounge Thaied said:

You the foreigner get to sit up front... for triple the cost in business class of course. And this somehow protects you... It's a fair question. If the plane is full of un-tested people then why are the 5-10 foreigners on the plane even testing. They can test out in ASQ quarantine like the Thais do... it's blatant discrimination. 

The foreigner won't be doing ASQ.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I haven’t heard of anywhere in the world where anyone is required to quarantine BEFORE departure! Are you actually suggesting that someone should quarantine for 14 days before getting on a plane and then quarantine for 14 days after they get off the flight? 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mattd said:

So what do the authorities do if they force a test on a returning citizen prior to boarding a flight and said citizen tests positive, stop them returning 

So you would advocate letting people on a flight knowing that they have an infectious disease??

Its nothing to do with nationality and whether you are returning home.

Its simple common sense. However, i think its likely illegal to do so under conditions of travel, but will be against covid regulations,

unless maybe you isolate the person.

I guess there would be a lot of trouble with all the other passengers and flight crew if they thought that people known to be infected were boarding.

2 hours ago, StrandedinthePark said:

I haven’t heard of anywhere in the world where anyone is required to quarantine BEFORE departure! Are you actually suggesting that someone should quarantine for 14 days before getting on a plane and then quarantine for 14 days after they get off the flight? 

No, I am not saying that at all. I am saying it should be done and dusted before getting on the plane....before leaving. If the quarantine and testing was done correctly, right up until the point of entering the aircraft it would save everyone a lot of trouble at the other end if you were actually discovered to have the virus. Maybe turned around on the next flight or an expensive medical experience in another country. I don't really have enough information to know why this isn't done, maybe it is not the concern of the home country or maybe their are facts I don't know about but on the surface it would seem logical to me

More to the point can someone explain that if road deaths kill more than covid does, why ALL road travel has not been banned and why walking on paths near roads not been banned ? The world is being destroyed for less than road deaths per year. The entire governments of the world have gone insane.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

More to the point can someone explain that if road deaths kill more than covid does, why ALL road travel has not been banned and why walking on paths near roads not been banned ? The world is being destroyed for less than road deaths per year. The entire governments of the world have gone insane.

Hence my comment re governments know a lot more than they are letting on. I don't subscribe to the ridiculous conspiracy theories out there but something isn't right here. The numbers of people infected are huge but there has been unprecedented testing in many countries. I am sure there would be millions more people asymptomatic with the normal flu if extensive testing was done for it. I think early on people thought it may be the hot climate but since then many countries with a similar climate have blown out. Thailand has been careful to a point but really. And I am not saying anyone is to blame. People are people and do stupid things...Thais, foreigners...everyone. What about the early mass exodus of people to the villages when they shut all the tourist areas? Bus stations and buses jam packed with people. And if ever there were going to be hot spots it would have been the tourist areas. I am sure there would have been and be now many thousands of people infected here. Either didn't show symptoms or got the "flu" and got better. Where I live people have taken precautions but I have see some pretty ridiculous scenarios. Wet markets here very few vendors or customers wearing masks. From the start to now. Walk in a mall and get tested and the person testing has his mask pulled down under his nose. Going into a big indoor market here, testing vehicles coming in to park, but only the driver....not the other 5 people in the car. I reckon Thailand has done the herd immunity thing without even realizing it. Or maybe it's the old Thai thing. If you don't see it or talk about it it isn't there. No testing, no promprem

Edited by Kenny202
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I've trying to point this out for months... and if I produce evidence... TV Ministry of Truth blocks me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jojothai said:

So you would advocate letting people on a flight knowing that they have an infectious disease??

Its nothing to do with nationality and whether you are returning home.

Its simple common sense. However, i think its likely illegal to do so under conditions of travel, but will be against covid regulations,

unless maybe you isolate the person.

I guess there would be a lot of trouble with all the other passengers and flight crew if they thought that people known to be infected were boarding.

You are missing the point, the Thai government probably cannot legally force their citizens do do a test to return home, whereas they can for foreigners, whether the airlines require a test is a different matter altogether and some airlines do require testing for all.

1 minute ago, Mattd said:

You are missing the point, the Thai government probably cannot legally force their citizens do do a test to return home, whereas they can for foreigners, whether the airlines require a test is a different matter altogether and some airlines do require testing for all.

Oh please. The Thai government are the law as far as Thai citizens go. 

Just now, Kenny202 said:

Oh please. The Thai government are the law as far as Thai citizens go. 

Things such as this could be challenged in court, it also would be very unpopular.

What people have failed to mention is the fact that most of us can hop on a plane to our country of origin without being tested, very few countries require tests for arrivals, especially their own citizens.

In reality the pre-flight test means nothing, there have been several cases of quarantined people testing positive on either the first or the second test after arrival that had a negative test before flying.

IMHO the best way at the moment is to quarantine and test, so no pre-flight test for all.

6 hours ago, jojothai said:

I updated my post. Others point out that thais are not tested which is simply nonsense.

The evidence shows thais can also catch it, so would it not make sense to have them tested since they can be infecting others on the flight when that can be avoided.

Hole test before flight is stupid! There are so many infected in ASQ hotels! All of them have tested before flight! So what that test help? Nothing! And do your coundry say to you: not come home if you have covid! Good Thailand not say like that! Definitely not main ! Its good thing! And its only 2% possibility to get covid in plane! Plane air system filtrate all sht away from air and air flow sideways , dirty air leave from floor valve!