First day on “big” bike-  Honda CB500X 2017 – Thoughts/Concerns

Scaliwags66

I have a 500x and a 1000 versys and are 5ft 9"

If I was you I would buy a 650 versys for the size. 

To get driving experience you can seek up The Spanish accademy in Pattaya, or just go out and drive, get as much experience you can. 

If you buy a Honda they have s limited school, but better than nothing

https://xrc-the-xtreme-paradise.com

1# Do not save money on safety and comfort! 

good luck

• Like 2

I rode a 1500 in Los Angeles and now ride a good scooter here.  As I mentioned earlier why you necessarilly think you need a bigger bike here is beyond me.  However, you may want to check out a forza or similar 300 cc model if you feel you really need the extra 10 km hr or whatever.  Additionally, get the best possible tires for your scooter and go one size larger you may be surprised by the difference. (that is if you have the older pcx with the 90 and 100 size.  Good luck and good riding.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I have a 500x and a 1000 versys and are 5ft 9"

If I was you I would buy a 650 versys for the size. 

To get driving experience you can seek up The Spanish accademy in Pattaya, or just go out and drive, get as much experience you can. 

If you buy a Honda they have s limited school, but better than nothing

https://xrc-the-xtreme-paradise.com

1# Do not save money on safety and comfort! 

good luck

Thank you for the course recommendation. That could be invaluable. I will reach out to them. Seems interesting. 

Yeah, in regards to the Versys, I had read others recommend that for taller riders. Also read that the CB500X was ideal for beginners. But I guess probably not greatly different from the Versys. Also, Versys is not that much heavier really. 

As I currently stay in Phuket, but considering moving to Krabi, so would be bouncing on highway from Phuket to Krabi or Trang or around south like that. Do you hear the versys is more comfortable for highway cruising? Thanks

8 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

1. I transitioned from a scooter to a CBR500R when I started. You get used to it pretty quickly. Sometimes I wish I had a gear indicator but that was more when trying to shift into a non-existing 7th gear. Don't worry about it, it'll be a non-issue.

2. Yes these bikes weigh much more and crucially are taller than a scooter. Especially during slow speeds and tight turns you'll have to be extra careful. This though same like the manual transmission will go away after you get used to it. When you first rode a scooter you had the exact same issues trying to balance it, tight turns etc.

3. A CB500X is pretty comfy. It'll just be your stress. The key to long ride comfort is to relax. It should not be an issue to ride 5h in a day on that bike. On an upright bike with relatively soft suspension and good ergos the only thing that will hurt me after a full day of riding is my ass. I've ridden for 10h+ in a day.

4. Depends on the traffic. On my CBR 90-100 kph is about where it's still vibe free so on that bike I like to stay there for longer periods. It's again just a comfort thing. It's easy at higher speeds as well. Don't do it untill you are really familiar with that bike though. Maybe once to try on a big empty highway but really be cautious.

TLDR: it's all about experience and getting to know the bike.

Honda has a riding school, the Honda Safety RIding Park between the Monument circle and Marko Thalang. Take the beginner rider course. You can rent a bike from them there. You'll learn some helpful stuff in a safe environment and also have good fun with other folks.

It's not advised as a beginner to ride in BKK. Even as an experienced rider BKK traffic can be very challenging if you don't know the area. Roads you are not allowed to ride on. Tons and tons of randomly moving vehicles and busy nearly around the clock. Worst place for a beginner.

Yes, true when starting on click scooter the balance was new, and then again when I went to PCX, it felt awkward as it was bigger than Click. But now click feels weird and PCX is the normal. So I guess probably the same graduating forward. 

Will look at this driving school too. Thank you

And agreed, driving in BKK on motorcycle sounds awful at this point. On my scooter I am used to it. But yeah, too much to think about on new machine. But for experienced riders I assume its all second nature huh? 

And yeah, I was trying to go into "7th" gear also lol. And initial impression, 100km seems like vibe free zone indeed. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Thank you for the course recommendation. That could be invaluable. I will reach out to them. Seems interesting. 

Yeah, in regards to the Versys, I had read others recommend that for taller riders. Also read that the CB500X was ideal for beginners. But I guess probably not greatly different from the Versys. Also, Versys is not that much heavier really. 

As I currently stay in Phuket, but considering moving to Krabi, so would be bouncing on highway from Phuket to Krabi or Trang or around south like that. Do you hear the versys is more comfortable for highway cruising? Thanks

Beautiful area with loads of quiet roads with great scenery from Phuket - Ranong - Chumphon - Krabi - Trang - Satun - Songhkla and more. No doubt 500x is good for a beginner, and for me it was a good bike in the beginning, but found it just a bit to small for me, and considering you are taller,,,,,,, V-stroem look great, but never ridden one, but there is other models that will suit you better. 

If you buy new bike, also think about you will need to service the bike, and if you have a dealer close by, it makes it easier as well. 

5 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Yes, true when starting on click scooter the balance was new, and then again when I went to PCX, it felt awkward as it was bigger than Click. But now click feels weird and PCX is the normal. So I guess probably the same graduating forward. 

Will look at this driving school too. Thank you

And agreed, driving in BKK on motorcycle sounds awful at this point. On my scooter I am used to it. But yeah, too much to think about on new machine. But for experienced riders I assume its all second nature huh? 

And yeah, I was trying to go into "7th" gear also lol. And initial impression, 100km seems like vibe free zone indeed. 

Well the 7 gear fixtation, you will see follow you no matter how big And fast the bike Gets ???? 

edit note, I heard one guy bought a Triumph rocket and never got to use more than the 4. 

Edited by Tagged

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Beautiful area with loads of quiet roads with great scenery from Phuket - Ranong - Chumphon - Krabi - Trang - Satun - Songhkla and more. No doubt 500x is good for a beginner, and for me it was a good bike in the beginning, but found it just a bit to small for me, and considering you are taller,,,,,,, V-stroem look great, but never ridden one, but there is other models that will suit you better. 

If you buy new bike, also think about you will need to service the bike, and if you have a dealer close by, it makes it easier as well. 

Yes! So stunning. I did a trip last month on the PCX from Phuket to Phangna, Krabi, Trang, Satun, Songkla, Hat Yai, Phattalung, Nakon Sri Thammarad and then back to Krabi and Phuket. That is pretty much what made me think I need to get a proper bike to better enjoy it. But need to develop the confidence on them. 

Yeah, since first time on it, did feel tight in my hips. Not sure if bike size or just because of new seating position. Just hesitant about the added weight of the 650s. I guess I just need to try them out too. 

Edited by Scaliwags66
added info

5 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Yes! So stunning. I did a trip last month on the PCX from Phuket to Phangna, Krabi, Trang, Satun, Songkla, Hat Yai, Phattalung, Nakon Sri Thammarad and then back to Krabi and Phuket. That is pretty much what made me think I need to get a proper bike to better enjoy it. But need to develop the confidence on them. 

Yeah, since first time on it, did feel tight in my hips. Not sure if bike size or just because of new seating position. Just hesitant about the added weight of the 650s. I guess I just need to try them out too. 

I would not worry to much about the balance and the weight, proper training and practice will help you along way. My gf 163cm ride my 500x now, and have no issues about it at all. Also went from pcx to the 500. 

4 minutes ago, Tagged said:

I would not worry to much about the balance and the weight, proper training and practice will help you along way. My gf 163cm ride my 500x now, and have no issues about it at all. Also went from pcx to the 500. 

Sounds like a badass chick. But that is encouraging to hear. I guess it isn't as much as our size as just getting comfortable controlling the machine since it is way stronger than any of us anyway. 

37 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

As I mentioned earlier why you necessarilly think you need a bigger bike here is beyond me.

Spot on that.

I have a 2016 Scoopy Club after riding big bikes in my home country for 20 years, This country is not made for big bikes period. All drivers are way too absent minded to consider you. If you gonna ride 50 km/h with the scooters, by all means get your big bike. But if you gonna ride with the vehicles or faster, you will dead soon.

You can take my 10 cents any way you like it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Any experience riders….or those who have transitioned from scooter to manual have any insight into this?

Don't fill the tank up to the top, that's another 10Kg you don't want to balance.

Get a magnetic tank bag, makes google navigation much easier to use.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/free-shippingready-stockhhao-motorcycle-tank-bag-for-phone-gps-motor-bike-bag-oil-fuel-tank-bag-magnetic-saddle-bag-motorcyclewaist-drop-leg-bag-pernera-moto-i1185798475-s2817928269.html

And if you're a single rider these pillion bags are great for carrying your shopping.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i699626895-s1340912584.html

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Scaliwags66 said:

I used to have a Versys, it is a bigger engine with lots of more torque, I prefer that engine to the CB500X. Still , now I am riding a CB500X. Mainly because it is much better in the city. I felt that the Versys was top heavy and harder to navigate in town. I prefer the smoother ABS on the CB (maybe the Versys ABS has improved on later models). All over the CB is more relaxed to ride, I feel that I have much better control and it never surprises me. The Versys was more fun to ride, is better for overtaking on the highways etc. But for a beginner on a new bike. Honda is just easier, without feeling boring. BTW, I am 6'2 and Versys don't even win the ergonomics battle for me. Much more crunched hip angle on the older Versys. Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ for info 

Good luck!

• Like 2

For the city, there is no need to go beyond a scooter.

The posters saying that you don't need anything more powerful than a scooter clearly haven't been in a Thai road outside of Bangkok or small cities. You're much more vulnerable in a scooter when cruising outside of cities.

The CB500x is a great beginners bike and very comfortable, I think you are just nervous and tensing your muscles. It's well suited for long distance touring but the handling is not great and it's very heavy (210 kg).

I suggest you try a few more bikes before deciding what to buy.

Try a few more in the range 400 to 650 from other brands and see how you feel. I do not recommend going over 650, and even some 650 are way overpowered like the CB650, although the Versys 650 is OK (but again, very heavy).

A Ducati Scrambler is a great beginner bike too, and it handles much more like a scooter than the CB500x. It has traction control and all the bells and whistles, so it doesn't feel more dangerous than the CB500x. It is an 800 but feels light and nimble, and the power delivery is very smooth, good for a beginner. It's also fantastic for the city.

2 hours ago, Scaliwags66 said:

Is this something you would recommend for a newbie on a “big” bike? 

Sure, the only thing that springs to mind is "wrooom, wrooom & a lot of broken bones"

So, my take on this is that the possibility of dying of Covid-19 was not enough for you.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Scaliwags66 said:

I have twice rented a Nmax 155 and rode comfortably and confidently from patong to krabi.  Average speed I would say 90-100 kmh.  If I had the Xmax I would likely have averaged another 10 kmh higher but found the nmax more than enough.  Good tires and anti lock brakes add to the confidence as does the lower riding position of these motorbikes as opposed to higher bikes.  You really should try these as well as the Forza. 

I should also preface my previous post as I do understand the desire for a bigger bike for the highway here and I have been experimenting with doing the same but I have determined that there is no perfect bike for both and the closest I have found is the nmax or pcx (with wider tires on old or fatter tires newer model). 

The best solution may be a larger 300 cc comfort cruiser for the highway and a scooter for in town.  However, the nature of drivers on Thai roads as well as dogs and the condition of many roads not marked for potholes, obstructions etc as well as torrential rains make high speed driving especially dangerous.  If you were allowed to drive a larger bike on the toll roads it may change the story.  And keep in mind a new drivers license is now required for 500 cc. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, eisfeld said:
29 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

Spot on that.

I have a 2016 Scoopy Club after riding big bikes in my home country for 20 years, This country is not made for big bikes period. All drivers are way too absent minded to consider you. If you gonna ride 50 km/h with the scooters, by all means get your big bike. But if you gonna ride with the vehicles or faster, you will dead soon.

You can take my 10 cents any way you like it.

That's usually said by people who don't have proper knowledge of bikes. There are plenty of reasons why big bikes can be safer than scooters. What makes people think scooters are so safe? Crappy tires, crappy brakes, no ABS, less visibility, less possibility to get out of trouble... I don't get it. You don't have to speed on a big bike.

Another facet is visibility.

For reasons that can only be explained by a phycologist when you are on a scooter you are less visible to Thai drivers, you are seen but not noticed (if that makes any sense) I suspect its because in some subconscious pocket of their brain you are ‘just a scooter rider’ and can’t afford a car, thus you don’t register on the same ‘scale’

When on a larger bike I had found that Thai drivers are notably more considerate and aware of you. Not because a bigger bike is any louder (many aren’t) but because on a larger motorcycle you have more road presence and you are more readily seen and noticed.

This in itself may make larger motorcycles safer although that can always be compromised by a lose wrist. 

I also disagree with this comment: 

34 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

But if you gonna ride with the vehicles or faster, you will dead soon.

I find it is the ‘other scooters’ which present the most risk to me while I’m riding a motorcycle. 

A lot of them have no concept of ‘space’ and are forever in your blind spot or come up and block your ‘exit route’ - other motorcyclist in Thailand are an absolute nuisance !!!

Riding amongst the cars is by far a safer option IMO although some will try and squeeze into the gap in front of you when you leave plenty of space to see road conditions, pot holes etc... 

• Like 1

I did not like the Versys personnaly. Not really more powerfull, equilibrium not so good, suspension maybe not perfect...

And guys : a 500X is definitely not a beginners bike ???? 

Forgot a few things :

Make sure you are equiped adequately. Helmet, jacket, etc. For comfort. Fix it before you start or stop for that, never during riding (since you are always 100% focused on driving).

Important on the 500x : you need a "bubble" ? do not know the word... Protection for the front wind. Especially if you are tall. The basic one is like none. If possible rent a bike with a good one.

35 minutes ago, douglasspade said:

This country is not made for big bikes period.

Theres some brilliant roads here, highway 12 in places is one of the best Big bike roads I have had the pleasure of riding on, lots more good roads about, for sure bikes are inherently dangerous, or are people the culprits?

The death statistics for bike riding are far higher than figures for the "rona" if it was so dangerous it would have been banned! ???? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Another facet is visibility.

For reasons that can only be explained by a phycologist when you are on a scooter you are less visible to Thai drivers, you are seen but not noticed (if that makes any sense) I suspect its because in some subconscious pocket of their brain you are ‘just a scooter rider’ and can’t afford a car, thus you don’t register on the same ‘scale’

When on a larger bike I had found that Thai drivers are notably more considerate and aware of you. Not because a bigger bike is any louder (many aren’t) but because on a larger motorcycle you have more road presence and you are more readily seen and noticed.

This in itself may make larger motorcycles safer although that can always be compromised by a lose wrist. 

I also disagree with this comment: 

I find it is the ‘other scooters’ which present the most risk to me while I’m riding a motorcycle. 

A lot of them have no concept of ‘space’ and are forever in your blind spot or come up and block your ‘exit route’ - other motorcyclist in Thailand are an absolute nuisance !!!

Riding amongst the cars is by far a safer option IMO although some will try and squeeze into the gap in front of you when you leave plenty of space to see road conditions, pot holes etc... 

Look you can get an nmax or pcx with antilock brakes add some led lights if necessary and you have plenty of visibility.  The danger with big bikes is the increased speed which will slow your your reaction time to dog or cart running out of nowhere in front of  you.  And it is debatable whether the idiots with illegally tinted windshields can see anything and at night good luck.  That is the reality of thailand it is not the same as riding the interstates lol.

And remember on Thai roads over confidence can easily kill you.  

Edited by tlandtday
  • Like 1