United States formally announces troop reduction in Iraq

webfact

United States formally announces troop reduction in Iraq

2020-09-09T121945Z_1_LYNXMPEG88120_RTROPTP_4_IRAQ-SECURITY-USA-MILITARY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. soldiers are seen during a handover ceremony of Taji military base from US-led coalition troops to Iraqi security forces, in the base north of Baghdad, Iraq August 23, 2020. REUTERS/Thaier Al-Sudani

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States military on Wednesday announced that it would reduce its presence in Iraq from 5,200 to 3,000 troops this month, formalizing a long-expected move.

Last month, Reuters reported that the United States was expected to reduce its troops presence in Iraq by about a third.

The United States has around 5,200 troops that were deployed in Iraq to fight the Islamic State militant group. Officials in the U.S.-led coalition say Iraqi forces are now mostly able to handle the remnants of Islamic State on their own.

"We are continuing to expand on our partner capacity programs that enable Iraqi forces and allow us to reduce our footprint in Iraq," Marine General Frank McKenzie, the head of U.S. Central Command, said during a visit to Iraq.

A senior administration official had said on Tuesday that President Donald Trump would be announcing a reduction of U.S. troops from Iraq.

The United States and Iraq in June affirmed their commitment to the reduction of U.S. troops in the country in coming months, with no plans by Washington to maintain permanent bases or a permanent military presence.

In 2016 Trump campaigned on ending America's “endless wars,” but U.S. troops remain in countries like Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria, albeit in smaller numbers.

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, asked by reporters if he supported the drawdown, said: "Yes I do as long as there's a plan to figure out how he’s going to deal with ISIS."

Last month during a meeting with the Iraqi prime minister, Trump redoubled his promise to withdraw the U.S. troops still in Iraq.

Trump's meeting with the Iraqi leader came amid a new spike in tensions between Washington and Tehran after Washington said it would seek to reinstate all previously suspended U.S. sanctions on Iran at the United Nations.

Iraq's parliament had voted earlier this year for the departure of foreign troops from Iraq, and U.S. and other coalition troops have been leaving as part of a drawdown.

(Reporting by Idrees Ali; Additional reporting by Joseph Ax in Detroit; Editing by Steve Orlofsky and Leslie Adler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-10

13 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Trump works for the American people

Yep, it certainly looks that way. He is very good at standing behind people that point or aim a gun at others or that are shooting others with unlicensed and illegal to carry in puplic weapons. We even have a new song for him. 

Oh yes, I'm the great defender (ooh ooh)

Defending my people well (ooh ooh)

My need is such, I defend to much

I'm a loony, but no one can tell

Oh yes, I'm the great defender (ooh ooh)

Stuck in a world of my own (ooh ooh)

I go my way, and I feel ashamed

All have left me, to stand all alone

And so on I guess. The song is fitting, due to the need to only make small changes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trump has reduced by a small amount the US troops overseas.  Keep going and bring all home from Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and while you are at it bring home a bunch from Germany.  When you want to complain about Trump for this reduction just tell me who before him did it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

• Like 1

Afganastan-19 years

Iraqi- 18 years

Germany- 75 years

What are we defending Germany from, a Russian invasion? Why, the Russians going to move into Berlin and help Comrade Merkle run the new pipe line from Russian. Germanies army is decimated, try spending some of your money and get your military half way decent again. Posters on here decry the US for being involved militarily around the world, then get on here crying and slinging snot, on my god, Trump is taking troops out of Germany (even though half repositioning closer to Russia).

Almost 50% of personal who work at the Pentagon or lobbyist for the military hardware companies one way or another. Almost all generals retire and go into the lobbyist business. The lady that testified against trump at the Ukraine hearing working at the state department in the Ukraine let it slip during testimony. She stated she and others were getting numerous calls from defense contractor to do something.

Bolton would have had the US with 10 to 50,000 troops in Syria, for what? Why do you think Bolton and all these other lobbyists (to include some generals) hate Trump so much? Let Russia have it and get back with us in 10-15 years and let us know how that worked out. Like someone said earlier, no one is going to change the middle east. They have not progressed mentally past the 7th century, and that’s how they wish to live. Talk about a virus, they have one in their brain. Its like a science fiction move. If the US, UK or any other country is there, they must kill, if we are not there, they must kill each other.

So, like a science fiction movie leave them to their self, maybe in a century or two they will kill enough off and evolve to join the human race again.

Colonels wish to make general, one-star generals wish to make two and so on. How do they do that, they need command time in a war zone, that simple. Politicians both democrats and republicans get their cut also one way or another.

The US has young men under 30 with 5 or more combat tours under their belt already. I am not talking about 3 months at a 5-star hotel in the UAE. Actually, kicking doors in a combat zone for 12-13 months per tour.

Trumps Labor Day speech call the lobbies, politicians and military industry out. First time ever someone done it. Time to bring the troops home and get out of this never-ending war is what he told them.

Edited by RANGER55
spelling
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

Trump has reduced by a small amount the US troops overseas.  Keep going and bring all home from Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and while you are at it bring home a bunch from Germany.  When you want to complain about Trump for this reduction just tell me who before him did it.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Facing his reelection loss he makes one good move. Not enough to keep from him from losing on November 3rd.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Trump has done more for world peace than any former President. The mid-east has never been so peaceful, it is not surprising that he has been nominated for a Nobel peace prize(https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nobel-prize-peace-trump/norwegian-lawmaker-nominates-trump-for-nobel-peace-prize-idUSKBN2601R4 ) for his achievements. Achievements that seemed like wistful pipe dreams under his predecessor.

Get the troops home, and they can relax for another 4 years or until another war hungry administration takes power. Trump works for the American people, not Haliburton. A refreshing change.

Now queue 100 posts attacking Trump for bringing peace to a turbulent region.

Who’s going to fill the vacuum?and I call bs on trump not beeing in the pocket of haliburton or the defense industry it’s just a ruse for the rubes trump and mbs meeting about weapons purchases comes to mind

Absolutely horrible decision in American history!! He’s playing with the lives lost in Iraq. No veteran NO VETERAN OR MILITARY can support Trump! He has denigrated generals, he has insulted John Bolton, he sought peace deals with North Korea and unilaterally and illegally assassinated political and religious leaders!

Trump is a threat to middle eastern peace and a threat to America

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Where does it state they are coming home? Last reduction they didnt come home, they just moved to another country.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

As for the serving in the military both President and Vice President candidates have not served in the military.

Unless you can count old Heels Up Harris time with Will Brown as combat duty! Just saying

Speaking of heals, hows the bone spurs

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:

As for the serving in the military both President and Vice President candidates have not served in the military.

Can you remind us about the military history of both incumbent president and vice president.

I have been searching for it, but Google seems to suffer from memory loss, in this case

17 minutes ago, Susco said:

Can you remind us about the military history of both incumbent president and vice president.

I have been searching for it, but Google seems to suffer from memory loss, in this case

Trump has waved a  Purple  Heart !

He  may have earned it by assisting in the  death of  200,000 after the fact but "officially " they never panicked  so  all is  good .

22 minutes ago, Susco said:

Check post 16. You may have to google each individual person. Love all these key board warriors. Like I said, been in countries 19 and 18 years. I would bet, all these key board warriors have not set a foot on the ground in either country in combat. If 19 and 18 years in Afghanistan and Iraq is not long enough. Then tell us just how long we need to be there.

Joe Biden got 5, yes-their Long Ranger, I said 5 collage deferments. Then got an exemption with a case of mild asthma form serving after collage. Funny how Biden is always bragging about what a great athlete he was in his younger days and how he kicked old corn pops A## in high school. How he was a life guard and all the kids use to come and play with his hairy legs, don’t wish to go there with old sniffer Joe on here, might get suspender! Go figure, I don’t think I need a life guard to come and save me and then he has an asthma attack, Da##.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RANGER55 said:
35 minutes ago, Susco said:

Check post 16. You may have to google each individual person.

I don't give a flying feg about your drivel in post #16.

You came here claiming that none of the democrat candidates have served in the military, I'm even not sure if a US female has any conscription duty.

I asked you a VERY SIMPLE question, which was to remind us of the military history of your heroes, Trump and Pence, who are both male and have military conscription duty.

Care to answer that question without some endless drivel??

Edited by Susco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Who’s going to fill the vacuum?and I call bs on trump not beeing in the pocket of haliburton or the defense industry it’s just a ruse for the rubes trump and mbs meeting about weapons purchases comes to mind

You can back that up??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Trump has done more for world peace than any former President. The mid-east has never been so peaceful, it is not surprising that he has been nominated for a Nobel peace prize(https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nobel-prize-peace-trump/norwegian-lawmaker-nominates-trump-for-nobel-peace-prize-idUSKBN2601R4 ) for his achievements. Achievements that seemed like wistful pipe dreams under his predecessor.

Get the troops home, and they can relax for another 4 years or until another war hungry administration takes power. Trump works for the American people, not Haliburton. A refreshing change.

Now queue 100 posts attacking Trump for bringing peace to a turbulent region.

I guess that as far as some Trump supporters are concerned history starts at 1AT (the year most of people know as 2016). Helping to defeat the Nazis, the creation of the UN, the Marshall plan, relations with China, the NPT agreement and others - these all pale when pitted against Trump's contribution to world peace, namely an normalization of relations agreement between two countries who weren't at war, and held unofficial relations for years. Well, at least the Trump supporter above seems to think so, anyway.

Guess interest in ME history isn't much of a thing either - there's war in Yemen, unrest in Iraq, factions at it again in Lebanon, Syria situation unresolved, Libya still in the grips of a civil war, tensions with Iran, and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict remains on. If by peaceful you meant business as usual, so yes, sure.

Don't know whether the troops are going home or being redeployed elsewhere. Don't expect it would be acknowledged this got "something' to do with the Iraqi government wishes.

Trump isn't working for Halliburton. Maybe so. Think he's more of a Blackwater kinda guy.

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Here's guessing they will bring in some thousands of contractors to grad the oil that they are stealing.....

What oil is being stolen? By whom? And how? I mean, real oil, not fantasy stuff. And real stealing too, not what you label as stealing.

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Trump has done nothing for world peace.

That's not entirely true. He gave much of the world a sense of unity at least on thing - disliking him.

Other than that, while maybe not quite Nobel Prize material, the agreement between Israel and the UAE is somewhat more significant than most realize.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Apart from those who don't like anything Pres. Trump does, for political reasons, I imagine any troop withdrawals and/or peace deals is bad news for the Generals who have connections with the Arms Industry. But then again, I'm sure some other conflict will turn up somewhere else to compensate.

Do you seriously think that whether there are 5000 or 3000 troops in Iraq would change much for the arms industry? Or even more so, for generals you claim have connection with this industry?