Leaving the country what to expect on leaving amnesty

Hi, just a quick query for anyone who has left after being involved in the amnesty.

I read a tweet a while ago that said there was an additional desk or procedure to visit or complete if you were leaving in an amnesty situation, which according to thethaiger is 100,000 people.

Has anyone experienced this? I just want to be prepared once I hand my bags in and go through immigration.

Does this extra step still exist or do we just go out as normal.

thanks

• Haha 1

yes, but as it gets closer to the end of the amnesty that little desk will get very crazy, i would say. but thanks for confirming it.

So you went to a normal immigration desk and were moved to this other desk? or it was sign posted as amnesty desk?

I just want to know what happens. I can imagine this desk expanding to a few more.

Did you have a tourist visa or something else like an expired non b??

Edited by jaffas21

2 hours ago, BritTim said:
3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I expect the government will officially update us in around 8-10 days from now.

Come September 23, you will then complain bitterly that there has been no announcement from the Thai authorities, except Immigration repeatedly informing you that there will be no amnesty extension, and your assumption that Immigration was lying. You will ask how everyone gambling on a further amnesty can be expected to fly out within three days. That is what I expect to happen, but I truly hope you will be lucky.

Thank you for telling me what I will be thinking later this month. Your arrogance is astounding. First, it is nothing to do with immigration whether the amnesty is extended or not. It is the decision of the government, and immigration act upon that decision. Immigration can 'inform' as much as they like, but they have no basis for saying one thing or the other. You've probably been in Thailand long enough to know that anyone likes to talk out of their a***, whether authorised to or not or whether they know what they're talking about or not.

Second, I don't need to fly anywhere, and I really have no interest at all in what others are planning or doing. Here's what I'll be thinking on the 23rd. If no amnesty extension is announced I'll just pop down to my local immigration office, a relatively peaceful place where I've never seen more than a couple of people waiting, and get a 60-day extension. This time there might be as many as 10 before me, and I'll wait.

If that's okay with you. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thank you for telling me what I will be thinking later this month. Your arrogance is astounding.

The arrogance lies in expecting the government to bow to the needs of foreign nationals.

They have already done much more than they needed to, and only those full of their own self importance would expect more.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The arrogance lies in expecting the government to bow to the needs of foreign nationals.

They have already done much more than they needed to, and only those full of their own self importance would expect more.

Can you please tell us what the government should have done instead of extending people's permission to stay? Expel all foreigners, perhaps, including those with jobs and/or family? Genuine question, as I'm interested to read what your solution would have been.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sandyf said:

You are asking the wrong question to the wrong person.

What you should be asking is why "those with jobs and/or family" have put themselves in a difficult position.

I was here on a ME non O from HCMC and well aware of the risks involved, if push came to shove I accepted that I may have to return to the UK and sit it out, possibly for many months. Fortunately the government's time on amnesty gave me the time to get the 12 transfers under my belt and I have just made the conversion.

Nearly everyone has had the opportunity to leave but there has been a reluctance for various reasons on the part of many to leave, reasons that would be of little consequence to the government. To many the main objection will be cost and inconvenience but that does not equate to no solution.

There is no dispute that the situation took a turn for the worse quite suddenly but there is no obligation on the government to compensate on a long term basis. Those that cannot leave for medical or travel problems have the opportunity to stay on short term extensions.

There is nothing untoward about the government trying to ensure that every foreign national once again has a valid stamp in their passport, it's about moving forward.

I am in agreement with this. I do believe it would be logical for the Thai authorities to provide the vast majority of the foreigners already here an easy way to stay. However, there is absolutely no moral obligation for them to do so. Sometimes, countries do not act in their own self interests, especially when antipathy towards foreigners in some quarters enters into the equation. Those holding out for a further amnesty are doing so, in my view, for one of these reasons:

• A belief that Immigration has little input into the process.
  • Deciding Immigration is simply lying to drive people to agent extension, knowing that a further amnesty is coming.
  • Believing that the Thai authorities make all their decisions at the last moment.
  • Thinking the cabinet, having made a decision, will keep this hidden from Immigration until much later.
  • Convincing themselves that, under pressure, the Thai authorities will change their decision at the last moment.

Personally, I think only the last of these is a realistic possibility. There was a huge amount of discussion at the highest levels in July over these matters. The decision was made to cap the amnesty at six months (March 26 to September 26) and Immigration was instructed to proceed accordingly. Immigration has done a pretty good job in transmitting the cabinet's decision to the expat community. I do not think Immigration is lying about the cabinet's decision, and I will be surprised if they reverse themselves. This time, there is no evidence of the kind of extensive discussions at high level that we saw in July. The decision has already been made.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

If you think Thailand cares at all about the fate of foreigners you are sadly mistaken.  This is the same country that has told these same people to get proper visas or leave by the 26th.  They forced many of them to use agents to get visas at ridiculous prices or risk being separated from family, losing their job, etc.  

The only people being told to leave by 26th are tourists, as Thailand clearly wants to reduce the number of tourists in the country to zero. Getting rid of those on long-term visas comes later, but has already begun with the insurance demand for a certain category of visa, something that due to age or medical conditions some will be unable to obtain. Then, in the Thai way, it is their fault they have to leave because they can't meet the requirement, rather than Thailand's fault.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The only people being told to leave by 26th are tourists, as Thailand clearly wants to reduce the number of tourists in the country to zero. Getting rid of those on long-term visas comes later, but has already begun with the insurance demand for a certain category of visa, something that due to age or medical conditions some will be unable to obtain. Then, in the Thai way, it is their fault they have to leave because they can't meet the requirement, rather than Thailand's fault.

They told all aliens, get an extension or leave before the 26th.  It was the very first line the announcement.

74E71E88-FB1D-42B9-8E0C-84B4615C328F.thumb.jpeg.6abfa64a89fd2b26ce5ed312658f2e02.jpeg

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Keep in mind that Thailand was very slow when it came to repatriating Thais stranded abroad. Tens of thousands of Thais, too, had to rely on their respective host countries being lenient / allowing them to stay for the time being.

Thailand's "visa amnesty" doesn't really stand out internationally - many countries have been doing pretty much the same.

"Much more than they needed to"? I don't think so! They pretty much just go with the flow.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What I do know is that circumstances are virtually unchanged from when the amnesty was first introduced, so there is no logical basis to end it.

The one huge change has been that when the amnesty was announced, Thailand had curfews and lock-downs and mass gatherings were banned and people were told to stay at home , 

The Government didnt want people going to immigration offices and spreading the virus , now that all those restrictions have been eased , people can now go to an immigration office and get extensions , so, there is no need to extend the visa amnesty 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It will be interesting to see if, down the line, they force everyone to have a long-term extension. There would be many who couldn't or don't want to keep 400,000 or 800,000 in a Thai bank and they would be forced to leave, many abandoning families. What wonderful headlines around the world that would make, a heartless government splitting up families. So I can't see that happening either.

Any particular Countries visa procedure is hardly going to make headline news anywhere , especially if its because the people cannot meet the visa requirements .

The money in the bank has always been a requirement , no change there 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Thailand's "visa amnesty" doesn't really stand out internationally - many countries have been doing pretty much the same.

Many countries required you to apply to remain once your permission expired.

Things could have been a lot more problematic than they have been. 

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I really have no idea when borders will open, and I'm pretty sure the government couldn't answer your question either. It might be three months, six months, a year. No-one knows, do they, and there is no way they can know. Anywhere.

What I do know is that circumstances are virtually unchanged from when the amnesty was first introduced, so there is no logical basis to end it. Meanwhile, the government might slowly be waking up to the fact that foreigners in Thailand spend money and so are quite useful to have around.

It will be interesting to see if, down the line, they force everyone to have a long-term extension. There would be many who couldn't or don't want to keep 400,000 or 800,000 in a Thai bank and they would be forced to leave, many abandoning families. What wonderful headlines around the world that would make, a heartless government splitting up families. So I can't see that happening either.

My guess would be allowing more than one 60-day extension a year, and the new tourist visa they are talking about introducing, for a 90-day entry and ability to extend for two more 90 days, perhaps indicates they might be thinking along those lines.

I don't think the Thai Government will be bothered about headlines regarding splitting up families that don't meet the financial visa requirements as many Western Government's have had the same policy for a number of years.

As to the people who don't want to keep the financial visa requirements in a Thai bank that's a lifestyle choice and they have to live with that decision they have the money they choose not to put in a Thai bank for whatever reason

Supreme court backs minimum income rule for non-European spouses 

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/feb/22/supreme-court-backs-minimum-income-rule-for-non-european-spouses

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Keep in mind that Thailand was very slow when it came to repatriating Thais stranded abroad. Tens of thousands of Thais, too, had to rely on their respective host countries being lenient / allowing them to stay for the time being.

"Much more than they needed to"? I don't think so! They pretty much just go with the flow.

There is very little a country can do when there are no repatriation flights. How do they want to deport overstayers?

The leniency ends at some point and we're now six months into the pandemic.

Edited by FlyingThai

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The one huge change has been that when the amnesty was announced, Thailand had curfews and lock-downs and mass gatherings were banned and people were told to stay at home , 

The Government didnt want people going to immigration offices and spreading the virus , now that all those restrictions have been eased , people can now go to an immigration office and get extensions , so, there is no need to extend the visa amnesty 

and no flights at all were allowed to land in Thailand so there was no way out. now flights are available though i admit not easy to get. not impossible mind you.

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Any particular Countries visa procedure is hardly going to make headline news anywhere , especially if its because the people cannot meet the visa requirements .

The money in the bank has always been a requirement , no change there 

isn't Bali doing something similar? i read an article in the daily mail this week and the response was well "crickets" - hardly a ripple, news wise

Edited by GeorgeCross

19 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

isn't Bali doing something similar? i read an article in the daily mail this week and the response was well "crickets" - hardly a ripple, news wise

There was a similar visa amnesty in Turkey until they re-opened the airports in June

Turkish Goverment gave everyone 30 days notice until July 11th

Visa overstays due to COVID-19

If you’ve outstayed your visa due to COVID-19, but did not leave before 11 July, you’ll be subject to penalties as follows:

Those departing from 12 July to 11 October will incur an administrative fine;

Those departing from 12 October onwards will be banned from Turkey for a period of time determined by the length of overstay.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/coronavirus#:~:text=As of 8 September the,%2C buses%2C taxis and ferries.