Flights on Expedia: Are They Actually Real?

jacobsladder

3 hours ago, treetops said:

You bought some kind of package as opposed to just an airline ticket, where the book direct advice is usually spot on.

well ... kinda ,  it's Air Asia GO called SNAP .... air ticket + hotel together.  Then only to find out later when looking for refund that I have to contact EXPEDIA ... not AA or AA Go.   lol ..

I booked a flight direct with Emirates, via their site.  They are still showing similar flights as available.   But shortly before the departure date they changed the flight times, then cancelled the flight.

When I tried to get a refund, they offered a voucher.  When I insisted on a refund, they said it will take 'a long time to process compared to a voucher'.  I'm still waiting for the refund after one month.

All the sirlines are bordering on bankruptcy, so they want your cash, but will be very reluctant to give it back when they cancel your flight.  It's like loaning money to a drug addict.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I booked a flight direct with Emirates, via their site.  They are still showing similar flights as available.   But shortly before the departure date they changed the flight times, then cancelled the flight.

When I tried to get a refund, they offered a voucher.  When I insisted on a refund, they said it will take 'a long time to process compared to a voucher'.  I'm still waiting for the refund after one month.

All the sirlines are bordering on bankruptcy, so they want your cash, but will be very reluctant to give it back when they cancel your flight.  It's like loaning money to a drug addict.

And yet in March when UAE airports were closed, Emirates simply reissued my BKK-DXB-LGW ticket as effectively open for 2 years, so next time I fly to Thailand (whenever) I have my return to UK already "in the bank."  This may have been because of the UAE airports closure, I don't know.

They offered a refund / voucher but actually told me that it would be less cost-effective because not all the tax would be refunded. Something to do with it being the return half of a round-trip ticket

Edited by VBF

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

I did buy direct with the airline .... but then it's automatically given to EXPEDIA to handle.

This was with Air Asia GO. 

Didn't realise that!  Last time I used Air Asia (2013), it was all done direct with the airline.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VBF said:

Didn't realise that!  Last time I used Air Asia (2013), it was all done direct with the airline.

I think because it was the air ticket + hotel .....  then AiR Asia Go ...  or SNAP they call it ......   but what an effort to find out who to contact for a refund .... geeeze ... I must have sent 30 tweets, 15 emails,  10 emails with attachments showing the ticket + hotel transaction just to get money back and still haven't got all back.  lol    never ever again  !!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

I think because it was the air ticket + hotel .....  then AiR Asia Go ...  or SNAP they call it ......   but what an effort to find out who to contact for a refund .... geeeze ... I must have sent 30 tweets, 15 emails,  10 emails with attachments showing the ticket + hotel transaction just to get money back and still haven't got all back.  lol    never ever again  !!

Such arrangements seem so convenient when you first book, don't they?

And they are.....until something goes awry and nobody wants to own the problem.

Good Luck????

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 10:19 PM, fakser said:

Why not just call the airline companies and check directly?

WHY call ALL the Airlines when travel agents like Expedia and travelocity, among many, will give you prices for all airlines in one search...... That is why.... THEN without calling 10 airlines you can call the one airline you found that fits your need, then have the airline to deal with rather than a 'Third Party' Agent...

4 hours ago, kensawadee said:

WHY call ALL the Airlines when travel agents like Expedia and travelocity, among many, will give you prices for all airlines in one search...... That is why.... THEN without calling 10 airlines you can call the one airline you found that fits your need, then have the airline to deal with rather than a 'Third Party' Agent...

They didn't say call ALL the airlines. The said call THE airline.

• 4 weeks later...

Do NOT under any circumstances, buy a ticket through Expedia. As a poster above said: 

"Keep in mind that if you book through Expedia, it's they who have to refund in the event of a cancellation, not the carrier. "

You will never get a refund from Expedia. You will not be able to contact them, as their customer service is nonexistent. Expedia is a big rip off operation. People fall for it because sometimes their prices are attractive, and like most American companies, Expedia extremely good at relieving you of your cash, and then fade from the scene. You may save a few dollars but you will also be risking all of your payment if a flight gets cancelled. I am surprised Expedia still operates; the dissatisfaction of people in the US with Expedia is palpable. Do NOT use Expedia.

•  

a\

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

Do NOT under any circumstances, buy a ticket through Expedia. As a poster above said: 

"Keep in mind that if you book through Expedia, it's they who have to refund in the event of a cancellation, not the carrier. "

You will never get a refund from Expedia. You will not be able to contact them, as their customer service is nonexistent. Expedia is a big rip off operation. People fall for it because sometimes their prices are attractive, and like most American companies, Expedia extremely good at relieving you of your cash, and then fade from the scene. You may save a few dollars but you will also be risking all of your payment if a flight gets cancelled. I am surprised Expedia still operates; the dissatisfaction of people in the US with Expedia is palpable. Do NOT use Expedia.

•  

a\

That is your experience. My experience is different. I got proactively contacted with a cancellation and rescheduled flight. I’ve used Expedia when it was the best choice for me, I haven’t had a problem with any bookings through them. 

YMMV.