Flights on Expedia: Are They Actually Real?

jacobsladder

We (family of four) are trying to get the 30 day extension from Sept 27. We been working here five years and have new jobs in another Asian country, but we can't get there (border closed).  We've got the embassy letters and are going to go to immigration again on Monday. However, if that doesn't pan out we going to need to fly back to Canada. The plan had been to stick it out here, but if we don't get the extension we're going to need to leave. 

So, I've been looking at flights on Expedia and other websites and there seems to be several flights to our home city everyday, we various stopping locations (long haul - east bound). I'm just wondering if they all actually fly or do most get cancelled? Many of my colleagues who managed to leave in July and August had flights cancelled, sometimes multiple flights, although they all got to where they needed to be eventually. How do I identify the real ones, or is it like spinning a coin?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jacobsladder
  • Like 1

Be cautious when buying through Expedia or any third party. I bought from Air Asia .....

and I'm still fighting to get my hotel refund which was with Air Asia Go, but they apparently are handled by Expedia.  

They are all scum in my book .....  I won't be buying from any of them again. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jacobsladder said:

So, best advice is.....book directly with the airline. That's helpful, thanks.

yes ....  but you are still running the risk that the flight will likely be canceled and you will have so much headache and trouble getting a refund imo.   

Now is unchartered territory for scheduled flights as most are repatriation flights only. 

* buying an air ticket at this time is risky, you could lose your initial payment.   just saying.

• Like 1

What is your destination in Canada?

The Etihad schedule looks good, Emirates also has 1 stop service to YYZ. Both require a COVID test, 6,500 THB here, 2 -5 days.

It doesn't look like Qatar has flights to Canada now, so two-stop service via The U.S. is the option. QR does not currently require a COVID test originating in THL, for now.

Other airlines to look at include BR, KE, CX, OZ, JL. 

I'd pull the plug and fly out ASAP. Move to a hotel near Suvarnabhumi.

Assuming you had a COVID test in hand now you could fly out in ~ 18 hours.

I had a rough time with Expedia. They would accept bookings and payment only for flights to be cancelled. Which can happen. But when it comes to refunding it was horrendous. They accept no responsibility for what airlines do and Expedia are very difficult to contact. As others suggest, go direct to the airlines.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, jacobsladder said:

I am (well, was...) a frequent traveler, I always check Expedia and google flights for deals. But whenever possible, I book with the airline directly. Also, if you need to change a departure date, it is mostly cheaper doing that with the airline than having to go through brokers.

The best lesson to be learned here is: Search any site to find a good fare......... BUT......... Then go direct to that airline to book the ticket.......

ALSO..... I'm not sure about credit cards around the world, But in the USA most of my credit cards protect me from losing my money and will give me back the money and then they fight with the airline to get the money back...... I use credit cards 100%...... American Express has been 'best' for me..... VISA second best.....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tso310 said:

For Etihad flights you need a Covid-19 test certificte just to board the aircraft irrespective of destination. 

https://www.etihad.com/en-gb/fly-etihad/health-and-wellness 

Same applies with Emirates https://www.emirates.com/au/english/help/flying-to-and-from-dubai/tourists-travelling-to-dubai/ .

And to those who have suggested that flights should be booked directly with airlines not via 3rd parties like Expedia, I'd say...ALWAYS!

I've never seen any reason not to go direct to the airline, even in good times and especially at the present time.

Similarly I've always regarded anyone with "Agent" in their job title as a "pimp" - use them to see what's out there and then go direct.

Edited by VBF

30 minutes ago, VBF said:

Expedia, I'd say...ALWAYS!

I've never seen any reason not to go direct to the airline, even in good times and especially at the present time.

In the past Expedia Japan was able to book mixed airline tickets that were cheaper than Individual airlines and excellent to deal with.

In the current situation If flying I would absolutely have to travel so price must be less important then adding in a 3rd partly adds risk as does paying by any method other than a credit card that allows chargeback if the service isn’t delivered would be a great help.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, VBF said:

And to those who have suggested that flights should be booked directly with airlines not via 3rd parties like Expedia, I'd say...ALWAYS!

I did buy direct with the airline .... but then it's automatically given to EXPEDIA to handle.

This was with Air Asia GO. 

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I did buy direct with the airline .... but then it's automatically given to EXPEDIA to handle.

This was with Air Asia GO. 

You bought some kind of package as opposed to just an airline ticket, where the book direct advice is usually spot on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In March I booked an April flight on Air Asia through a London agent, Opodo. When the flight was cancelled,  Opodo said I needed to deal with Air Asia, Air Asia said I had to get my refund from Opodo.  I was completely stymied until I read somewhere on tv that I should contact the credit card company.  Bank of America got my money back in two or three days.  

• Thanks 1

Personally I have given up using the internet for buying flights. Yes you see some offers and think my goodness, that's cheap. Then you try the dates and find it is much more expensive and there are taxes added, fuel surcharges, baggage charges, airport fees etc etc. 

What I do is go to the individual airline websites. Most of them will give you prices for outbound and return separately and tell you the addition charges before you give them your credit card details. You can also do nifty stuff with stay overs....for example you can save a bundle flying to the US by staying over 3 or 4 nights win Tokyo (I'm talking literally $3000) vs waiting 6 hours at Narita and flying straight through to the US.

• Thanks 1

Hi.

I booked with Etihad direct to fly from UK to BKK. Flight cancelled but no cash refund, only credit or rebook.

Took another option convert to open ticket and if not used by October 2021 they will refund. So they will have had £4000 of mine for nearly two years.

For my wife and I, in our 70's, the conditions and hoops that one has to go through is just not worth it. 

We used to go to Thailand twice a year, but the cretins running the country at the moment are convincing us to look elsewhere when the world normalises.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2020 at 8:00 AM, jacobsladder said:

And pay with your credit card. Most countries have a joint liability for any undelivered goods or services and you can claim back off them in case of difficulties. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, windas said:

Took another option convert to open ticket and if not used by October 2021 they will refund. So they will have had £4000 of mine for nearly two years.

You could have insisted on a refund if you wanted, even if the airlines preferred you didn't and tried to force alternatives on you.

• Like 1