Bhutan model for tourism

6 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Are you sure about your figure of USD 250.00 per day?

According to this web site . . . https://www.thisbatteredsuitcase.com/how-much-does-it-really-cost-to-visit-bhutan/

I went to Bhutan in around 1982 and remember paying US$100 per day then.

However, the above link also states:

But that’s where I was totally wrong. In fact, your daily fee covers everything, and once you are in the country you do not pay a single penny.

Still, I'm not suggesting that Thailand copies the Bhutanese model exactly, only to be considered as a guide.

Edited by Raphael Hythlodaeus
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Poet said:

Surely it must be clear to you that, for Thailand, that is precisely the worst possible idea.

But you miss the point. I am not talking about implementing this idea NOW while the dire COVID19 travel restrictions exist, but in the FUTURE when I presume at some point this will all be history? Or will it?

• Haha 1

I am not talking about implementing this idea NOW while the dire COVID19 travel restrictions exist, but in the FUTURE when I presume at some point this will all be history

Fair enough. Some mass tourism resorts such as Bali certainly managed to reach a level of wealth in the population that allowed them to drag their market slightly upstream.

Thailand though, in terms of size, capability, and the amount of unused capacity, is a very different story. They not only needed those 20 million tourists but, also, to keep growing.

As crazy as it may sound, even if an effective vaccine is created, it will take the rest of this decade for them to get back up to the levels they need to grow. It simply isn't going to happen as quickly as many here are supposing.

I expect the 30's will be back to the old growth. Then, as the entire nation gets richer, in the 40s or 50s they might consider the levels of daily tax you are proposing as a way to weed out the less desirable elements and transition to far lower visitor numbers.

Edited by Poet

1 minute ago, 2 is 1 said:

Go to work on TAT! Maybe get few meating for this new "great" idea! Can even make other announcement!

Excuse me, I never said it was a "great" idea.

I am merely inviting sensible and constructive comments.

Thais please step forward !! Do you really want an ever-increasing number of tourists in the post-COVID19 era? They are likely to be mainly from Asia, I guess mainly Chinese.

10 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Those wanting to practice their English skills?

Okay. Will be interesting to see if any turn up. Perhaps they will also perceive benefits to your proposed scheme that would not occur to us.

Edited by Poet
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

I did not say Thailand does not need its tourism industry. I am suggesting a "high value, low impact" approach, not to end tourism altogether. The per diem charge could be adjusted on a yearly basis depending on the number of tourist arrivals and what is considered a sustainable number (say 10~20 million per year?). 

I  dont see anything in Thailand that has a high  value for  tourists.

• Like 2

Charging $5 per day is probably too low to have any real impact, but I agree that mass tourism is extremely damaging, so thinking along the lines of reducing travelers' impact while maximizing their spend goes in the right direction.

They could start by increasing the departure tax. Flying in for a short trip is a lot worse than staying put for a few weeks.

Attracting quality tourists isn't that easy though and competition is tough. Thailand has tried and failed to do that in the past, they'd need to increase service standards by at least the same rate as they increase the cost, probably quite a bit more.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Still, I'm not suggesting that Thailand copies the Bhutanese model exactly, only to be considered as a guide.

Bhutan sits deep in the Himalaya mountains with a ready made tourist base of trekkers that will pay handsomely to sleep in tents and walk on trails. Yes other groups visit temples but the trekkers are their main base.

I would be surprised, no shocked,  if this model could work for Thailand. BTW Laos tried it 89 -94. Did not work there.

• Like 1

I am betting that Thailand's tourism model will be more like North Koreas, where you fly into the country and then like an escape room, you do your best to get back out of the country without getting eaten by the dogs or getting shot by an anti aircraft gun.....

• Like 2