Worse than Tom Yam Kung crisis - Thai tourism is "seriously wounded"

webfact

Worse than Tom Yam Kung crisis - Thai tourism is "seriously wounded"

10pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

A major conference attended by government reps and business leaders in Chiang Rai was the latest gathering to draw comparisons of the 2020 coronavirus pandemic with the 1997 Asian financial crisis.

The Tom Yam Kung crisis 23 years ago saw Thailand's economic boom come to an abrupt halt. 

Remnants of the collapse of the Thai financial sector and its effect on other parts of Asia and further afield can still be seen today in the deserted buildings that dot the kingdom that were never finished. 

Participants heard that defaults on loans and the effect on the economy were in many respects worse this year than in 1997.

Nareumon Pinyosinawat from the Labor Ministry spoke on the issue of migrant workers and cross border trade in Chiang Rai that borders Myanmar. 

Tourism reps spoke of the devastating effect on that sector and the need for government loans to tide businesses over and help with some degree of survival. 

77kaoded called it a 2 trillion baht hit on tourism and described the sector as "seriously wounded". 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-14

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

Never mind plans are afoot to allow 600 tourists a day to come into Thailand a magnificent total of 219,000 a year. This will solve the tourism crisis. 

Yup, as they will all spend 10 million baht each to prop up the magnificent Tourism Train called Thailand.  Seems to me that they need a new Bridge over the River Kwai

Let me complete the sentence as you should have written it!

52 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its the virus that has caused the problems

Correct for once! (dammed unusual)

Please remind us all again which country Wuhan is in?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, fangless said:

Let me complete the sentence as you should have written it!

Correct for once! (dammed unusual)

Please remind us all again which country Wuhan is in?

Read the post that I was responding to .

*Thailands reliance on mass Chinese tourism isnt the cause of the tourist numbers being down *, was my point