When to expect a new announcement?

3 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

You know another problem that doesn't need to exist?

A free 400k loan to a bank in a country that could collapse or kick you out at any moment, as you spend upwards of a decade begging for a yearly extension despite having kids and being married to a national.

Your phraseology suggests you are looking for hurdles rather than coming across them.

- You are no loaning banks anything, you can with draw at any time from in country or overseas.

- Thai Banks are secure, more so than some of their western counterparts (remember Northern Rock, Bearings Bank)

- No one ‘begs' for their yearly extension. You apply with the paperwork and its awarded.

All this is not hard, but some people seem to have a sense of entitlement - it is what is and the rules were there when people first came to Thailand. The only significant change is the availability of the income letter. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Every single move the govt has made, every single proposal that has been tabled says one thing and one thing only:

Business as usual re tourism and residency is over. Done. If you haven't been affected yet, you will be as soon as they get around to it.  They don't care that "Thailand is my home" or "But I have a retirement visa!" or "What about my family?". You are not Thai, and you have no eternal right to be here. Every rule is subject to change, and this crisis has given the authorities the opportunity to change.

Every indication says the goal is to remake the country into a land for Thai people and the world's elite. Others are--will be, IMO--no longer welcome.

Put 30 million baht in a Thai bank and show proof of 500,000 baht/month inflows, and you will be able to keep your retirement visa. Can't meet those requirements? There are now flights available to everywhere, so you have no excuse not to leave.

Doubt this?  Just look at what they done and said since March. Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, because it tolls for thee.

Put another way, it's the old saw about frogs in the kitchen, "It may be getting hot in this pot, but at least I'm not boiling like that poor guy over there".

nice fantasy! i guess you are not planning to take part in this new world order you're envisaging?

9 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Every single move the govt has made, every single proposal that has been tabled says one thing and one thing only:

Business as usual re tourism and residency is over. Done. If you haven't been affected yet, you will be as soon as they get around to it.  They don't care that "Thailand is my home" or "But I have a retirement visa!" or "What about my family?". You are not Thai, and you have no eternal right to be here. Every rule is subject to change, and this crisis has given the authorities the opportunity to change.

Every indication says the goal is to remake the country into a land for Thai people and the world's elite. Others are--will be, IMO--no longer welcome.

Put 30 million baht in a Thai bank and show proof of 500,000 baht/month inflows, and you will be able to keep your retirement visa. Can't meet those requirements? There are now flights available to everywhere, so you have no excuse not to leave.

Doubt this?  Just look at what they done and said since March. Don't ask for whom the bell tolls, because it tolls for thee. If they give scant concern for the 2.5 million Thai people employed in the tourism industry, they certainly aren't not going to be concerned about a bunch of old farangs 'living the dream'.

Put another way, it's the old saw about frogs in the kitchen, "It may be getting hot in this pot, but at least I'm not boiling like that poor guy over there".

Hyperbolae much ???

- 30 million baht? Thats a 75x exaggeration !!!!  all thats required is 400,000 baht for a Marriage Visa or 800,000 for a retirement Visa. 

- The significant change due to covid-19 is that ‘border hoppers’ can no longer border hop. But for those here on on Marriage or retirement Visas, they can stay. 

- Those wishing to ’switch visas’ so they can remain are struggling, some of those are blaming a system they were trying to play. Meanwhile that system could still be played if people were going to go the ‘agent’ route. 

-----

I was nearly caught out: Entered on Non-Imm O (90 days). I thought I could switch to my Thai Elite Visa but can’t do so without leaving the country. If I didn’t have 400k in my account I wouldn’t be able to make the Non-Imm O extension.

In that situation I would have had little choice but to either

- ‘Get a letter from my Embassy’ and apply for further amnesty based on living in Thailand (& Married & a Parent).

- Go back to another country and re-enter with my Elite Visa (going through CoE and ASQ again).

- Use an Agent and apply for a Volunteer Visa.

There are options but many seem not to have a Plan B in their back pocket and are only relying on an Amnesty Extension which is unlikely to happen. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hyperbolae much ???

- 30 million baht? Thats a 75x exaggeration !!!!  all thats required is 400,000 baht for a Marriage Visa or 800,000 for a retirement Visa. 

- The significant change due to covid-19 is that ‘border hoppers’ can no longer border hop. But for those here on on Marriage or retirement Visas, they can stay. 

- Those wishing to ’switch visas’ so they can remain are struggling, some of those are blaming a system they were trying to play. Meanwhile that system could still be played if people were going to go the ‘agent’ route. 

-----

I was nearly caught out: Entered on Non-Imm O (90 days). I thought I could switch to my Thai Elite Visa but can’t do so without leaving the country. If I didn’t have 400k in my account I wouldn’t be able to make the Non-Imm O extension.

In that situation I would have had little choice but to either

- ‘Get a letter from my Embassy’ and apply for further amnesty based on living in Thailand (& Married & a Parent).

- Go back to another country and re-enter with my Elite Visa (going through CoE and ASQ again).

- Use an Agent and apply for a Volunteer Visa.

There are options but many seem not to have a Plan B in their back pocket and are only relying on an Amnesty Extension which is unlikely to happen. 

Hyperbole?

Have you done the math on the new LTV Scheme?  They are expecting these tourists to spend close to a million baht a month, and have the first three months accommodations already paid in full before arrival.  That's hardly the backpacker brigade or even the Chinese tour groups so welcome pre-Covid.

Those who fail to see the coming tsunami are the ones washed out to sea.

It certainly would make life very simple for everyone. Those stuck here, those in government having to deal with extensions etc... 

This is a global issue and while Thailand is struggling to find a way to bring in tourists it would make perfect sense to find a simple way of ‘keeping people’ in Thailand, spending money (which is a drop in the ocean, but better than nothing). 

It's clear the government is viewing these issues with a certain ‘bipolarity’, on one hand those in country need to have visa otherwise get out, on the other hand, we need to get anyone from outside Thailand into Thailand. 

The simple solution for anyone in a position of decision making power: 

- Extend Amnesty Visa amnesty for a year (that won’t hurt anyone in government)

- Allow ‘anyone’ into Thailand with any Visa (for a year) [with the same CoE and ASQ process]

The government is then left to worry about one single conundrum: How to attract the 2 week tourists. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Fantasy? Anyone who isn't considering big change coming clearly has a long term visa for the Land of Denial.

Name a single statement or tabled idea over the last six months that DOESN'T say: Wealthy only, please.

There are none. Whether or not the goals and schemes are realistic doesn't matter. THEY make the rules and what's best for them seems to be the guiding principle.

A govt willing to let upwards of 18% of the GDP to evaporate (Tourism according to official 2019 figures is 17.7%) isn't going to care if it loses the rounding error in GDP from foreign retirees or spouses.

they just launched a new long stay visa where the only financial requirement is a 2K baht application fee. no minimum income, no money in the bank, no spending requirements, just 2K and a letter from wherever you are intending to stay.

hell i'm so poor even i could meet that one!!

stop talking rubbish man - its not a big conspiracy

Edited by blackcab
Quote reformatted. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.
  • Like 1

Just now, Walker88 said:

Hyperbole?

Have you done the math on the new LTV Scheme?  They are expecting these tourists to spend close to a million baht a month, and have the first three months accommodations already paid in full before arrival.  That's hardly the backpacker brigade or even the Chinese tour groups so welcome pre-Covid.

Those who fail to see the coming tsunami are the ones washed out to sea.

Hyperbolae means an exaggerated statement... Just in case you didn’t realise 30 million baht was not a colossal exaggeration [Colossal means extremely large].

Silly money is always thrown around in meetings of a Thai Committee. The issue stems from Kraeng-jai. 

One senior guy will announce his intentions, all others will nod in agreement while thinking ‘W.TF !!!’ no chance and being too scared to contradict the big fella at the end of the table!

The LTV scheme is another in a long line of Schemes which is just daft and the government throwing unrealistic and silly ideas around - they’re desperate to bring in tourists and will ultimately have to realise that they have to just let anyone in to come and spend money - the primary issue is dealing with quarantine. 

So... What ’Tsunami’ are you mentioning? - you think the cost of entry for all future tourists and those remaining in country is going to escalate 10 fold? 

- Do you think the financial requirement for Non-Imm O Marriage is going to be 4 Million and not remain at 400k baht?

- Do you think the financial requirement for Non-Imm O retirement is going to be 8 Million and not 800k baht?

- Do you think Tourist Visa’s are going to cost hundreds of thousands of Baht ??

What exactly is this ’Tsunami’ you mention, this sweeping change in policy to clear Thailand of all foreigners except the extremely wealthy ????

If you have 400,000 baht in a Bank account for 2 months, or 800,000 baht, and are Married, a parent of a Thai National, or over 50 the requirements are very simple to meet. 

Those not married, not a parent and not over 50 have fewer options, but still have Thailand Elite at 500,000 baht for 5 years, 1 million baht for 20 years - Thats 4167 Baht per month. Where is this ’Tsunami’ ???

9 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Fantasy? Anyone who isn't considering big change coming clearly has a long term visa for the Land of Denial.

Name a single statement or tabled idea over the last six months that DOESN'T say: Wealthy only, please.

There are none. Whether or not the goals and schemes are realistic doesn't matter. THEY make the rules and what's best for them seems to be the guiding principle.

A govt willing to let upwards of 18% of the GDP to evaporate (Tourism according to official 2019 figures is 17.7%) isn't going to care if it loses the rounding error in GDP from foreign retirees or spouses. There are people in positions of authority who seek a an odd kind of racial or economic purity.

Big change coming...  racial economy purity.... 

Ok ok... we have a crack-pot on our hands....  

Redirect to the Moonlandings thread is perhaps the best response here !

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1181798-survey-moon-landings-real-or-faked/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-15807161

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Also required to book and pay for ASQ (40k baht on up) and accommodations post quarantine. And have 100 USD worth of insurance.

There may well be requirements beyond that, as there was for old METV. The details have not yet been announced.

Which is the same for anyone else entering.... 

Thus: in simple terms Thailand has announced it will permit entry to Tourists under the same conditions as any other non-Thai returning to Thailand (Details TBC). 

7 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

they just launched a new long stay visa where the only financial requirement is a 2K baht application fee. no minimum income, no money in the bank, no spending requirements, just 2K and a letter from wherever you are intending to stay.

hell i'm so poor even i could meet that one!!

stop talking rubbish man - its not a big conspiracy

I wonder if you read the proposal?

Under the proposed LTV scheme, incoming tourists would be required to have paid the first 3 months accommodations in advance. They will also be 'encouraged to shop online' while in ASQ facilities. They are expected to arrive 'via chartered flights or private aircraft'. Is your G650 filled with Jet-A?

These LTV tourists are expected to spend around 850,000 baht per month if one does the math on #s of tourists vs expected revenue.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which is the same for anyone else entering.... 

Thus: in simple terms Thailand has announced it will permit entry to Tourists under the same conditions as any other non-Thai returning to Thailand (Details TBC). 

Not quite. Other people entering do not have to show proof of pre-paid accommodations post quarantine.

And there may be other financial requirements specific to this visa -- the details have nto yet been announced. There always have been  for METVs. One might expect this new visa to have similiar requirements to METVs which I think were proof of a bank balance of at least 7k USD for the prior X months?

I suspect though that the real deal breaker for many TVF members will be not the financial requirements but the countries for which this scheme is enacted.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

What really is the cause of all the squabbling, debate and anxiety etc? If you have the means and the 'qualifications' to stay, then stay. If you don't then leave by 27? Isn't it as b&w as that??

It is...  but there is clearly a lot more to it than that as people have different work arounds to meet the requirements. 

Some, would enter on a Non-Imm O, then border hop and re-enter on a ME Tourist Visa etc, or apply for an Ed Visa etc or even go to their home country for 3 months and return later. 

There are lots of individual issues. The major issue being that many do not want to go home to a country where the risk of contracting Covid-19 is higher. If I were over 60 years Old, I’d prefer to risk overstay than that. 

Thus, I’m highly sympathetic of those who due to the 'incoming' borders being locked are struggingling to find a legal way of remaining in Thailand, especial for those with families. 

What I am not sympathetic towards are those blaming the system they were playing, exaggerating and coming out with such rubbish along the lines of 'they don’t want us here’ or ’Thailand only wants wealth foreigners’ which is completely untrue, Thailand just doesn’t want people who would be a financial burden (the same as any nation).

The rules for long term visas have not changed and if you entered meeting the basic requirements extension is easy if you continue to meet the basic requirements. 

Its just a lot more difficult for those single and younger than 50 yrs old. Or those without 400 or 800k seasoned in a bank. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Under the proposed LTV scheme, incoming tourists would be required to have paid the first 3 months accommodations in advance. They will also be 'encouraged to shop online' while in ASQ facilities. They are expected to arrive 'via chartered flights or private aircraft'. Is your G650 filled with Jet-A?

These LTV tourists are expected to spend around 850,000 baht per month if one does the math on #s of tourists vs expected revenue.

Dude, they are dreamers, dreaming that they can make the proposed money.  It is a rainbow and unicorns expectation with the golden sheep getting fleeced as in always.  Time to think out of the box as those married to Thais only need to show 400,000 in the bank, while those of us on retirement extensions need to show 800,000 baht in the bank, or then there is the monthly money transfer options and 12 month bank statement methods.  To even think they would make the cost ten fold or higher as you suggest, they would condemn there own country to ridicule and scorn from the international communities, but then this is Thailand and FACE is everything.  Could you live with the embarrassment of destroying not only families but your economy as they have done so far, I think you need to stop following the conspiracy and tin foil hat brigade.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are lots of individual issues. The major issue being that many do not want to go home to a country where the risk of contracting Covid-19 is higher. If I were over 60 years Old, I’d prefer to risk overstay than that.

I'm certainly not worried about that at all, don't know or know of a single person who has had it.

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not quite. Other people entering do not have to show proof of pre-paid accommodations post quarantine.

And there may be other financial requirements specific to this visa -- the details have nto yet been announced. There always have been  for METVs. One might expect this new visa to have similiar requirements to METVs which I think were proof of a bank balance of at least 7k USD for the prior X months?

I suspect though that the real deal breaker for many TVF members will be not the financial requirements but the countries for which this scheme is enacted.

The proof of ‘pre-paid accommodation post quarantine’ is going to be a tricky one. But I wonder how long that proof is require for... 2 weeks, a month?  fully refundable? 

It would make sense to have proof of basic funds to allow long term tourist visas to ensure those tourist can remain. 

Really though, it does seem as though these decisions involve an awful lot of sanctimony when realistically, the simple solution is to let any tourists in so long as they are prepared to go through quarantine. 

I can see how in theory the ’travel corridor’ is an attractive proposition, but that is not water tight - if people are quarantining for two weeks, it doesn’t really matter where they are entering from. 

It does seem that the government is tripping up over themselves with these proposals - they just need to keep it simple and a quarantine requirement does that - nothing else is really needed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

sorry, we are obviously reading different proposals - i honestly cannot see any references to "850,000 baht per month" minimum spend requirements or having to arrive by G650 :cheesy:

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Big change coming...  racial economy purity.... 

Ok ok... we have a crack-pot on our hands....  

Redirect to the Moonlandings thread is perhaps the best response here !

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1181798-survey-moon-landings-real-or-faked/page/6/?tab=comments#comment-15807161

Are your familiar with the Health Minister and his various statements?

Have you read through any of the proposals for re-opening? Has any one of them not reeked of $$$$$?

Are you familiar with the term "Quality Tourism" and can you guess what it really means?

Have you read through the various 'travel bubble' proposals and noted what countries are always noted---and which ones, even low Covid infection countries---are left out?

Trying to project moon landing silliness on to an honest look at the actual statements of govt officials and the various tabled proposals is spurious.

EVERYTHING so far tabled points in one direction and only one direction. Choose to see reality or choose to ignore it; it comes regardless.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GeorgeCross said:

sorry, we are obviously reading different proposals - i honestly cannot see any references to "850,000 baht per month" minimum spend requirements or having to arrive by G650 :cheesy:

Please read the proposal and govt statements, and get a pencil and paper.

Pre-paid 3 months of accommodations. Arrival by chartered flight or private jet. 100/day or 1200/month arrivals expected to result in a billion baht of revenue.

Global Moderator Sheryl noted some of the same things, after she read the proposal. See above.

17 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I'm certainly not worried about that at all, don't know or know of a single person who has had it.

I know a few people that caught it in my hometown (Los Angeles) and a good friend's father passed away from it. Everyone I know in New York knows at least someone who had it, with a lot knowing someone who passed from it. 

That being said, if you're under 60 and healthy it shouldn't really be an issue, but you can always spread it to someone more vulnerable.

Edited by Benitostacos

9 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

I know a few people that caught it in my hometown (Los Angeles) and a good friend's father passed away from it. Everyone I know in New York knows at least someone who had it, with a lot knowing someone who passed from it. 

That being said, if you're under 60 and healthy it shouldn't really be an issue, but you can always spread it to someone more vulnerable.

I know of two people who have had Covid-19 

- Male: about 45 yrs old: died, heavily overweight, diabetic and already had severe respiratory illness - Covid-19 sadly tipped him over the edge.

- Girl: 21 years old: Fit, healthy. Had flu symptoms, stayed at home for 2 weeks. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WhateverDude said:

Maybe because there's a global pandemic going on and a lot of people (like me) are essentially stuck where they are because of it?

Have you been in contact with your embassy since March trying to get a repatriation flight?

At this point there shouldn't be a single legitimate individual "stuck" in Thailand as repatriation efforts have been going on for half a year now. All that remain do so because they didn't take action.

Edited by FlyingThai
  • Haha 2