Tradesman To Repair A Ceiling

cnxnicho

47 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

A fair guess would be gypsum, as that also is standard in Thailand in houses and apartments since 15 years back

48 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

A fair guess would be gypsum, as that also is standard in Thailand in houses and apartments since 15 years back

Yes, as you say, standard ceilings are made of gypsum, as is the ceiling in question.

14 minutes ago, cnxnicho said:

Yes, as you say, standard ceilings are made of gypsum, as is the ceiling in question.

Which in my opinion is dumb as it comes for wet areas here.  Cement board is a much better choice for bath and most Thai know how to work with it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cnxnicho said:

Not so hard to fix. The only thing needed is a guy that can cut a piece in the right size, Put up a new piece of wood to hold it if needed. After that it´s just to seal the roof and make it flat and smooth as well as paint it again. Most times there are a guy close or in the village that can fix such things with good result.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Which in my opinion is dumb as it comes for wet areas here.  Cement board is a much better choice for bath and most Thai know how to work with it.  

I have had Gypsum board bathroom ceilings problem free for over 20 years.  But the bathroom ceilings are high and the rooms well ventilated.  They make several types of gypsum board including a variety which is significantly moisture resistant.

I gusss I do not consider my bathroom ceilings to be wet areas but some certainly are.

7 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

I have had Gypsum board bathroom ceilings problem free for over 20 years.  But the bathroom ceilings are high and the rooms well ventilated.  They make several types of gypsum board including a variety which is significantly moisture resistant.

I gusss I do not consider my bathroom ceilings to be wet areas but some certainly are.

After visiting my house in Homestead, Fl a week after Andrew hit in 1992 (3 weeks after retirement and move here) am not a big fan of gypsum.  And my home was one of the less damaged.  Never did see how it looked after repair - insurance co demanded I return from Bangkok or they would not cover loss (not a fan of insurance companies either).  ???? 

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Sadly I have them. Mine are full of asbestos. Impossible to repair or remove them without having asbestos in the whole condo.

• Thanks 1

I had the exact same issue last year and had a guy who did an excellent job.  PM me for his details as we can't share on the forum.

I had a leaky pipe and he had to pull up the tiles in the bathroom and replace part of the ceiling and paint it.  He did an excellent job and we've had him back to build us an extension and car port.