Justice minister has ingenious solution to overcrowding in Thai prisons

webfact

He must have long arms patting himself on the back so many times and for so many thing on 1 celebration and all of that in just 1 year , what will happen if he stays on for a few more years ? Maybe new notebooks and markers and guard costumes for every prisoner so they can walk out without being noticed . 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Boy oh boy, now there will be enough space in each room to put more bunks and more prisoners. ????

Actually the minister should be focused on the overriding philosophical areas/aspects of correction and detention, and officers way under the minister focused on things like beds.

But guess what, the minister is no where near capable of philosophical thought.

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

The cutting edge of Thai intellectuals he will be promoted and could be off to run ASQ with his next idea of plastic bags over the heads of arrivals ???? 

Plastic bags may well have been used before in the quarantine hotel activities in Melbourne. 

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, jvs said:

How about letting all non violent drug users out?

They all go back to their habit once they get out anyway.

yeah ... that'll work especially when they've no cash to get their fix .... 

a machete... or a knife ... of FIL's gun .....       look out 7-11 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

"At present there are 370,000 inmates and 80% of them are in for drug related offences."

You don't even have to be ingenious to conclude that the most obvious solution to alleviate overcrowding would be the legalization of recreational drugs.

no thanks .... there's enough nutters running loose as it is without the potheads joining in.

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yeah ... that'll work especially when they've no cash to get their fix .... 

a machete... or a knife ... of FIL's gun .....       look out 7-11 

Did you see the words,non violent?

What is the real difference between letting them go now or ten years later?

Electric sensor and let them get on with their life,cannabis users are mostly non violent any way.Yaba is a different thing again.

Edited by jvs

21 hours ago, webfact said:

He also praised his efforts in seizing drug assets - it was 600 million baht before he came in and in the last year it was 2 BILLION.

This is just the tip of the iceberg and suggests that either Thai police are getting better (ahem) or more drugs are flooding the market.

21 hours ago, jonclark said:

"Fewer young people are also turning back to drugs after release aided by better testing methods"

Whilst is it commendable to have better testing methods, this is not the reason people turn to drugs, or quit drugs. Drug misuse is a symptom of deprevation, poverty and lack of opportunitiy. Its is a condition driven by socio-economic factors primarily. 

I disagree, alcohol is a harddrug and people use it no matter what status. The same goes for other drugs its just an escape a way to relax. There will always be drug use best to decriminalize it and make sure there are not many bad side effects from the use. Like operating a car when drunk or high, violence and so fort. 

Punish the crimes stemming from drugs not the drug use itself. If you see how much drugs are being intercepted you got an idea how much is being used. The amount is huge, but its not like every drug user steals or gets violent. Its even cheaper to take certain drugs then to go a night drinking alcohol. 

So most users are not criminals, don't get violent just live their own life. Let them be unless they get violent, steal or operate cars and other stuff under the influence. 

• Thanks 1

Is my memory stuffed or did i dream that more than a year ago, they were going to get the prisoners to make the bunk beds, i think it was after they suggested the prisoners could use their skills to make guns for the army/police. I should go back on my meds for Deja vu. I should go back on my meds for Deja vu.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I disagree, alcohol is a harddrug and people use it no matter what status. The same goes for other drugs its just an escape a way to relax. There will always be drug use best to decriminalize it and make sure there are not many bad side effects from the use. Like operating a car when drunk or high, violence and so fort. 

Punish the crimes stemming from drugs not the drug use itself. If you see how much drugs are being intercepted you got an idea how much is being used. The amount is huge, but its not like every drug user steals or gets violent. Its even cheaper to take certain drugs then to go a night drinking alcohol. 

So most users are not criminals, don't get violent just live their own life. Let them be unless they get violent, steal or operate cars and other stuff under the influence. 

Absolutely. Meanwhile medical Marijuana has been legalised here.

23 hours ago, jonclark said:

"Fewer young people are also turning back to drugs after release aided by better testing methods"

Whilst is it commendable to have better testing methods, this is not the reason people turn to drugs, or quit drugs. Drug misuse is a symptom of deprevation, poverty and lack of opportunitiy. Its is a condition driven by socio-economic factors primarily. 

I am sure,that what you wright is true in many cases,but far from all.In my village,most of the young people,who are users,are from wealthy families,given good education,money and often some business of their own to take care of.But they use all that to drugmisuse.They are helped over and over again,but they just don`t care . 

On 9/24/2020 at 10:28 AM, jonclark said:

Hmm. You should take care to qualify what drugs you are referring too. Some recreational drugs have nothing whatsoever to do with poverty, deprivation, or opportunity.

Remember what the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers famously said:

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope". Of course they were referring specifically to call to pot. 

Also, I personally know several people in the States that stopped smoking pot because they were tested so often on their jobs. The hair test can detect use from months past.