Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

2 hours ago, Happyman567 said:

Talking about that did anybody have trouble getting one from the Aussie embassy I still aint got mine but have a little extension left 

I was initially refused when I mistakenly though I had only to send my Bio data in to get the letter then I explained my situation in great detail and was thus granted a letter "due to my extenuating circumstances" which was this is my home now and I don't wish to leave it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Thaiophil said:

1900 baht is a bargain. For those of us locked out, the cost to get in is min $2000 - flight, ASQ, Covid tests, visa fees etc

the money was no big deal.  

But the 3 days at 2 different immigration places and having to arrive at 4am to secure a sacred 100 spot IS a big deal.

2 minutes ago, BusyB said:

Yes, indeed. Had to cancel a 2 month trip in April ... no idea when or how I'll get back in. I have half a life in LOS ... don't even know right now if I'll have to write it off totally. I don't expect to get in before next September at the earliest. 

Enjoy your stay Benito ... nice to hear some gratitude amongst all the negativity.

Busybee

agree. happy to be residing here.  This isn't the only country where the gov is a mess right now. (ahem, 'merica, Britain, Oz, China)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

Could it be possible that PM's authority to order a further amnesty was contingent on there being a continued state of emergency, thereby giving him the emergency powers to further extend the amnesty?  If so, that would explain the lateness of the amnesty extension. He could not do it until after a new emergency decree has been formally put in place maybe?  Thoughts @ubonjoe ?  

Are you saying the PM had to apply for and extension as well?It's sort of like a temporary permission to section 44.I wonder if he used an agent to save all the running around?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Are you saying the PM had to apply for and extension as well?It's sort of like a temporary permission to section 44.I wonder if he used an agent to save all the running around?

I'm just not familiar with the laws here. In some countries, the ability to issue sweeping amnesties such as this would be dependent on a 'state of emergency' that would then allow such drastic measures to be implemented. Absent that state of emergency, the "normal" limits on executive powers would be in place. Again...it's a question...I don't imply that I know what is happening, just trying to rationalize it. (Yes, I know that trying to rationalize policies here is futile) ???? 

42 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

But the 3 days at 2 different immigration places and having to arrive at 4am to secure a sacred 100 spot IS a big deal.

No it is not.

51 minutes ago, samisaurus said:

I thought Cabinet meets Tuesday to discuss? 

Yes, but they should make an anouncement today, which they didn´t. So, probably just a fake. Good in that case. We do not need more confusion.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Why not extend it until Dec 31? Ridiculous.

Because November could bring in 1900 Baht . December another 1900 Baht. We're being EFD about by immigration. No doubt the amnesty won't be announced until Nov 1st, Dec 1st when every body has more then likely paid the 1900Baht. I find it most deceitful. The virus isn't going away overnight

and could be permanent. I have a cold sore virus and thats permanent. It easily transmitted through  spit I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I wear a mask when I feel one coming on. 

If it's true the amnesty is extended -- 2 days after the deadline -- then in future, no one here under the amnesty will have any reason at all to believe anything the government says about deadlines.  No one will have any reason not to wait until the very last minute.

Edited by JTXR

9 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

Why not extend it until Dec 31? Ridiculous.

Quite so . It's the 1900 Baht each month as any  amnesty won't be announced until the 1st November,December. A most deceitful move. Can't wait to get out.

Edited by Percy P

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

If it was a big deal to him, it's a big deal to him. Nothing to do with you. Seems you are just looking for an argument.

Are you looking to be nominated for OPOTY? 

And what does it look like you are doing with the above comment. You not live by your words, Mr Eindhoven.

What is OPOTY? Something in your wet dreams?

Edited by Matzzon
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Nope. Overstay fines start tomorrow.

No, those are the fines that you pay tomorrow, when you go to Immigration (whilst on overstay), and Immigration grants you another extension, after you pay the fine.

If you extend today there is no fine, because 26 was on a Saturday.

Tomorrow, you will pay 1,500 baht.

However, if between 27 September and until you get to Immigration, you are caught on the street, then you are on overstay, subject to being arrested, deported, and banned for 5 years.

Edited by lkv

9 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Silly lot of rot they go on with.  Why the he11 didn't they extends it a week ago.  These clowns in government are annoying so many people with their silliness. 

Simple, they'd have missed the 1900Baht most of use have now paid. How do we get reimbursed.

2 hours ago, Promula said:

Why are his posts being followed as gospel? Is this the guy that mentioned almost being kicked out of Thailand by immigration a couple of months ago?

He has released several today. One said an Immigration source said the amnesty may be extended tomorrow by cabinet. Another one said another  source said they knew nothing about it. He did say continue as if no amnesty and get an extension. He is just reporting it as he hears it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1