Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

4 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

He has released several today. One said an Immigration source said the amnesty may be extended tomorrow by cabinet. Another one said another  source said they knew nothing about it. He did say continue as if no amnesty and get an extension. He is just reporting it as he hears it.

But the announcement of a visa amnesty after the 26th September to extend it until October 31st to me was deceitful. Can't wait till the surrounding boarders open up.

Went to ChiangMai immigration (airport) this afternoon & looks like business as usual. Slightly less people around compared to friday I'd say. The agency didn't seem to know or not letting on as I inquired to my 1 year ext. would be from today or 31oct & today was the firm answer! Lol spent few min & then back to the carpart (PTT) where I noticed some weird looking uniform (white & light blue colors) officers (maybe cityhall inspections?) doing the rounds with all the vendors & perhaps some shops...

Then at western restaurant a few clicks away in old city 3 immigration officers were doing some 'inspection' as well umm...

Anyway nothing confirmed as far I know few mentions of PM doing some kind of announcement & amnesty may only cover Non IMM O visa stamps?

News sources not much update referring to bkk hareld and/or richard/twitter:

http://www.buriramtimes.com/visa-amnesty-expected-to-be-extended-to-31-october/

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/thai-immigration-unaware-of-visa-amnesty-extension-to-halloween/

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/visa/rumours-of-a-new-visa-amnesty-up-to-october-31

Some reported immigration hotline 1178 is no longer picking up calls? I called for few minutes & yes no answer yet...

So I think nothing going to be confirmed today - maybe check some myanmar sources lol ???? the soap show goes on & on...

16 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Right till then, immigration will continue to fine people who show up with an overstay. They simply have no discretion to waive the fine.

Just another scam, similar to the TM30.

These people are becoming more and more innovative in their scamming. Maybe we will extend the amnesty, maybe not, hold on a few more days @ 500 baht per day.

1 hour ago, audaciousnomad said:

I'm just not familiar with the laws here. In some countries, the ability to issue sweeping amnesties such as this would be dependent on a 'state of emergency' that would then allow such drastic measures to be implemented. Absent that state of emergency, the "normal" limits on executive powers would be in place. Again...it's a question...I don't imply that I know what is happening, just trying to rationalize it. (Yes, I know that trying to rationalize policies here is futile) ???? 

The so called amnesty came into being through a notification by the Ministry of Interior and as you rightly pointed out in accordance with the Regulations of the Emergency Decree. It was signed off on the 7th April but initially covered the period from the 26th March till the 30th April.

https://thailand.prd.go.th/mobile_detail.php?cid=4&nid=9312

To all the people who was wondering why people left it to last minute... THIS IS WHY!!!
because it always should of been extended... and looks like it now will!!

it seems most people will just call their bluff even more come October 31 or if they want to be mean to us again they will announce it on November 1 after we have handed over the gold.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Hmm, why 800,000? Why not 657,000, or 725,000? Why has the government chosen 400,000/800,000 (apart from doubling what it used to be)? Why not a round million? It's a figure that has no bearing at all on anything anyway. I don't need to keep 400,000, except because the government says I must. I have no practical reason to do so.

Oh, how cute. You think immigration laws should be "practical" for the user. Please enlighten us on which country bases their immigration policy on "practicality" for the non-citizen?

This took me ages to transcribe, but the relevant part (I think) from the English Covid-19 Daily Briefing;

"Another piece of information, is of course, that, I have to just put out a disclaimer first, in saying that what I will be saying will be the information that has been confirmed, not those under discussion yet so, there is an important issue which will be approved by cabinet tomorrow, has been sent for propose to be approved by cabinet tomorrow, which will be an important piece of information concerning visas for foreign nationals, but, this has been under discussion with even the private sector also, but we have to wait until the cabinet approves this tomorrow, and the information will be coming out tomorrow after the weekly cabinet meeting ... ...so for this issue, waiting for the cabinet approval for tomorrow, hope everyone looks at the big picture for the benefit of Thailand, for the benefit of those people living in Thailand and call Thailand home, looking at the big picture for the benefit of everybody in the general picture".

41 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This reads like one of those "I’ve gone more native than you, so I know more” comments.... 

Indeed, so why did Stickman go home, a fluent Thai speaker, au fait with everything going on here; if he can't make it here no-one can. I'm very glad I came to Thailand late in life. To be sure, the layers of the onion keep unravelling, and amost by default my language skills improve, but what do I care, as long as that pension keeps pummeling in and Thailand stays cheap, and your average Thai guy/gal remains a pretty nice person. It's basically a place to have a few adventures (and I must say, my few first years here were time compressed, like experiences I couldn't dream of in my old life) if you're young, or end your days in comparative luxury, if you're old. But as a career choice, no way.

10 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

Silly lot of rot they go on with.  Why the he11 didn't they extends it a week ago.  These clowns in government are annoying so many people with their silliness. 

T.I.T.      The TAT are desperately looking for ways to attract tourism domesticalĺy,and already have 150,000 Covid free foreign tourists in the country,and want to fine them or get them to leave,yes,the loonies are at it again.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fangless said:

No extension to the amnesty has been announced, only an extension to the emergency decree!

I guess some foreigner are thinking that the emergency decree extension is the same as for the visa amnesty!

But the emergency is only helpful for the government.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, samisaurus said:

There's people that literally have left now for no reason other than their embassy wasnt giving out a letter. I know because on 25th my flight out was quite packed as well as Emirates flights. This was all handled strangely. 

Stop the fake news please.  If you had the ability to stay you would have.  If there were flights out then they did not meet a requirement for an extension letter even if there embassy was not giving them out.  So lets be clear on that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jimbo53 said:

T.I.T.      The TAT are desperately looking for ways to attract tourism domesticalĺy,and already have 150,000 Covid free foreign tourists in the country,and want to fine them or get them to leave,yes,the loonies are at it again.

From the pictures at immigration offices last week, most were Indians, Africans and other Asians...are these big spenders?...their dress sense would seem otherwise

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

No, those are the fines that you pay tomorrow, when you go to Immigration (whilst on overstay), and Immigration grants you another extension, after you pay the fine.

If you extend today there is no fine, because 26 was on a Saturday.

Tomorrow, you will pay 1,500 baht.

However, if between 27 September and until you get to Immigration, you are caught on the street, then you are on overstay, subject to being arrested, deported, and banned for 5 years.

And yet they are still an Overstay fine, don't get into the weeds over this.  A fine is a fine, no other way to candy coat it sorry to say.

• Like 2

Maybe the confusion stems from this piece of news:

a new category of foreigners allowed to travel to thailand along with the STV scheme - non imm visa holders such as business & perhaps also retirees etc, but need 500k in savnings (last 6 months) ummm...

So maybe it was all fake news in the end... ???? 

1 hour ago, RaduAlex said:

While I'm happy for the slackers who were hoping for this development until the last second and got their prayers answered, I wonder how many others who used the ample time provided since July to get a proper visa feel cheated.

Once again, how and why do you believe it will be extended.  I have seen nothing that verifies the, what I believe to be fake news, reports or any other news except the ones stating that overstay fines will start tomorrow for those that failed to get there extensions.  Why would people who did not follow the rules be treated with love and respect from this Government. 

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 2

The six groups are as follows:

1. Foreign athletes who participate in the Chalerm Prakiat International Cycling Race from Samut Songkhram to Suratthani on October 6-16. The group will be under 14 days of state quarantine at the local hotel. 

2. A group of 340 Thai Airways pilots and cabin crew on the repatriation flight to Thailand. The group will be under state quarantine as they operated in the US.

3. Holders of non-immigrant types of visa, who are businesspeople without a work permit and are willing to enter Thailand for business purposes by providing a six-month bank statement, equivalent to at least 500,000 baht. 

4. Holders of Special Tourist Visa which the prime minister will discuss with the Ministry of Tourism and Sports and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and related agencies for the policy.

5. Approximately 100,000 of the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Business Travel Cardholders from low-risk countries such as New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia, South Korea, Japan, China, and Hong Kong.

6. Foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand for 60 days can extend the duration for an extra 30 days by providing a six-month bank statement, equivalent to at least 500,000 baht, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/18982/ccsa-welcomes-six-groups-of-foreign-travellers-hoping-to-stimulate-thai-economy

Living on the edge is really exciting! Ha! What's the worst that can happen, you'll get stuck in IDC for a few days, a good story to take home. Most unlikely though. Thailand realises it simply doesn't have the capacity, so they give another amnesty hoping to winnow down the numbers. That's my take on it anyway.