Motherless Kittens Need a Home

acepredator

I live in a large apartment building in Chiang Mai. For some time a female cat lived around the building. She had three kittens about three or four months ago. This mother cat recently became ill and died. I have been feeding the kittens dry food to keep them alive until a place can be found for them to live. The manager of the building does not want them here, so I have been trying to find someplace where they can go. I tried Santisook Animal Shelter, but they cannot accept any more cats. Another agency, called Adopt Me-Ow Chiang Mai, takes only newborn kittens for placement. I wonder if any readers know of any other animal shelter or organization in Chiang Mai that can take these three small kittens. Any information would be greatly appreciated, not only by me and the manager of my building but also by three very cute kittens who desperately need an agreeable place to call home.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Sorry Puchaiyank but I'm a bit confused. Does the fact that the woman and her children all had teeth filed to a point somehow imply that they eat cats? If so, it is an utterly sick, idiotic, and meaningless response. I suppose it's a pathetic attempt at humor. I hope you don't make your living by writing comedy material because if you do you'll be the one eating cats and anything else you can catch for lack of any financial resources to buy food.

How on Earth did you interpret what @Puchaiyank wrote in that way?

He was clearly saying that he took in a female cat and her kittens, and that he really likes cats.

No one said anything about eating cats.

It can be truly disturbing to accidentally get an insight into someone's mind.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry Puchaiyank but I'm a bit confused. Does the fact that the woman and her children all had teeth filed to a point somehow imply that they eat cats? If so, it is an utterly sick, idiotic, and meaningless response. I suppose it's a pathetic attempt at humor. I hope you don't make your living by writing comedy material because if you do you'll be the one eating cats and anything else you can catch for lack of any financial resources to buy food.

• Sad 1

Donnacha-- Did he clearly say that he took in the cats? He didn't say that at all. I read it as a lady and her children with pointed teeth took them. If the lady is the mother cat and her children are the kittens, then you're right, I did totally misinterpret what he said. Understandably enough, in light of the fact that cats are not ladies and kittens are not children. If he wanted to say that he took in the cats, he could have said exactly that. In any event, my post was seeking information about a place I could take the kittens to live. His response could not have been more irrelevant and unhelpful.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, acepredator said:

Wow...  really????....  but I’m still curious how someone could make such a hyperbolic interpretation from a rather harmless and simple comment....  

Stay away from the cat litter I think...  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, acepredator said:

If he wanted to say that he took in the cats, he could have said exactly that.

What a boring language English would be if people didn't communicate with playfulness and flair.

Edited by donnacha
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

What a boring language English would be if nobody communicated with imagination and flair.

I certainly appreciate imagination and flair in English or any other language. I believe, however, that the essential function of language is to clearly communicate one's thoughts to another, which Puchaiyank did not do. If he, in fact, did take in a family of homeless cats then I commend him. He is a fellow animal lover. If I weren't an animal lover I wouldn't be doing all I'm doing to help these kittens, including incurring the wrath of my building's manager. I live in a small apartment and, therefore, cannot manage to care for one or more kittens. A more pertinent and helpful response would involve information as to where I can take these cats, which was what my original post requested.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wow...  really????....  but I’m still curious how someone could make such a hyperbolic interpretation from a rather harmless and simple comment....  

Stay away from the cat litter I think...  

I take a powerful pain medication, called Lyrica, for nerve damage. It's likely that the Lyrica impairs my judgement even more than the cat litter. Mixing the two makes it even worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

What's wrong with eating cat meat?

recipes and facts

The recipes are really good, people in Guangdong eat 10,000 cats per day.

OP, let me know on Friday afternoon if you haven't found a suitable home. 

Thanks very much for your reply. I'll be checking more this week and get back to you Friday. 

16 minutes ago, acepredator said:

I take a powerful pain medication, called Lyrica, for nerve damage.

Sorry to hear that, and I do understand that you are trying to do your best for these cats.

Are you aware of Toxoplasmosis? It is a brain parasite that is extremely common in cats that have not yet had all the necessary shots. Humans become infected by handling such cats or living around them. It causes detrimental changes in behavior and sometimes damages eyesight. There is not much doctors can do to treat it, and it is extremely common in Thailand.

Unless you are certain that all these cats have received all their shots, handle them with extreme care, wash your hands after touching them, and don't allow them to wander around your living area. Take particular care when bagging the used litter.

I only mention this because you may not be aware, and could probably do without any further medical problems in your life.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Sorry to hear that, and I do understand that you are trying to do your best for these cats.

Are you aware of Toxoplasmosis? It is a brain parasite that is extremely common in cats that have not yet had all the necessary shots. Humans become infected by handling such cats or living around them. It causes detrimental changes in behavior and sometimes damages eyesight. There is not much doctors can do to treat it, and it is extremely common in Thailand.

Unless you are certain that all these cats have received all their shots, handle them with extreme care, wash your hands after touching them, and don't allow them to wander around your living area. Take particular care when bagging the used litter.

I only mention this because you may not be aware, and could probably do without any further medical problems in your life.

Thanks very much for the information. I hadn't thought about these issues at all. They are essentially feral cats, living outside around the building and in the parking lot. I just give them Whiskas dry food and pet them a bit when they come to eat. They haven't been to a vet, and they don't come inside the building or use a litter box. I'll exercise a great deal more caution in the future when being around them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

Sadly I doubt you will find anyone wanting these cats. The place is swamped with homeless cats. Basically they are vermin same as rats...only look cuter. 

Your best bet would be getting then fixed so they cant make more kittens in the future, vaccinate them and you take care of them. 

If you can't have them in your condo, best to reduce feeding then gradually so they start to look for food in other places.

Thanks very much for your reply. I was thinking the same thing about reducing their food intake, but at this time they are still very young and probably unable to find food on their own. I also planned to check in to having them fixed and vaccinated. And you're right that there are certainly a lot of homeless cats running around Chiang Mai. If only there were a simple solution to the problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Sadly I doubt you will find anyone wanting these cats. The place is swamped with homeless cats. Basically they are vermin same as rats...only look cuter. 

Your best bet would be getting then fixed so they cant make more kittens in the future, vaccinate them and you take care of them. 

If you can't have them in your condo, best to reduce feeding then gradually so they start to look for food in other places.

Did you miss where he was told he could not keep them?

Surely the best answer is to have them put down? Thailand has enough feral cats and dogs. It does not need more.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, malibukid said:

can you please contact Adopt Meow in Chiang Mai to see if they can sponsor these kittens

Yes, I already contacted them. They requested photos of the kittens, which I sent along with two videos. Adopt Meow said that they appeared to be about four to five months old, which is too old for them to place in new homes. They regretfully informed me that they sympathize with my situation, but that they cannot help me other than to suggest that I have the kittens sterilized soon and keep trying to find a place for them to live. 

3 minutes ago, acepredator said:

four to five months old, which is too old for them to place in new homes

Thats rubbish - people take in stray cats all the time. 

I think what they meant was that as they were no longer ‘kitten kittens’ and were slightly older ‘they were not cute enough’ for people to want them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you miss where he was told he could not keep them?

Surely the best answer is to have them put down? Thailand has enough feral cats and dogs. It does not need more.

Some time ago my companion and I had a pet poodle named Moji. At about nine or ten years of age, Moji became diabetic and ultimately blind. I had to give her insulin shots ever day. As her health declined, I eventually took her to the vet to ask that she be euthanized. He adamantly refused to do so. Apparently euthanizing even old, extremely ill dogs is not done in Thailand. Moji eventually died an agonizing death. If only the vet had been a kind and compassionate individual, Moji would have been spared this horrible end to her life. Where I am from in the West, the vet would have given her a simple injection and she would have gone to sleep never to wake again, experiencing a pain-free exist from this miserable existence. It was her misfortune to be born in Thailand instead. If the vet wouldn't euthanize Moji, he sure has hell won't euthanize three healthy kittens.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

people in Guangdong eat 10,000 cats per day.

Having lived in Dongguang city for nearly 2 years I might have to disagree with this as I witnessed them having a liking to dogs. That was clearly seen with all the dog carcasses hanging in restaurant windows.

2 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Having lived in Dongguang city for nearly 2 years I might have to disagree with this as I witnessed them having a liking to dogs. That was clearly seen with all the dog carcasses hanging in restaurant windows.

Maybe not the kindest and most compassionate way to deal with the problem of too many stray dogs and cats, but at least it is efficacious. In addition, it provides a cheap and plentiful source of protein for the people who need it. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

take them to the local temple. 

The temples here in Chiang Mai have made it absolutely crystal clear that they do not want people dumping their unwanted animals on them. That was the practice in the past, but the monks today have more pressing things to do than care for these animals. There are even signs here with the red circle and the line bisecting it over pictures of both dogs and cats in many temples. Dumping an animal at a temple is the same as dumping it in the street. No one cares about it and no one will provide for it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, acepredator said:

The temples here in Chiang Mai have made it absolutely crystal clear that they do not want people dumping their unwanted animals on them. That was the practice in the past, but the monks today have more pressing things to do than care for these animals. There are even signs here with the red circle and the line bisecting it over pictures of both dogs and cats in many temples. Dumping an animal at a temple is the same as dumping it in the street. No one cares about it and no one will provide for it.

oh well ....  buy a can of tuna then out in the bush 

19 hours ago, donnacha said:

Oi Oi ! I have suffered from toxoplasmosis. And I can assure you that  although it  can sometimes have serious outcomes it is not specifically a "brain" disease.

Also not specific to  cats as  carriers.

Potentially very dangerous to pregnant women in terms of the foetus. Fortunately I was not pregnant at the time due  to having undergone a  vasectomy sometime prior. It did  not effect my  brain  at all.

Wicked  headaches though!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

did you try and contact Chiang Mai Cats and Kittens adoption? also you can have them steralized for relative little money at Don Kaew Animal Hospital.  500 for males and 1000 for females.  about what a couple nights out would cost.  i am currently sponsoring 14 cats and kittens.  easy to get attached to these guys.

Edited by malibukid