Thai PM wants all tourists to wear wristbands - we're not opening the floodgates

webfact

ridiculous idea... but what i want to know is...is this just for while you're in quarantine or after? because surely once out of quarantine you're 'free' to go where ya want, when u want.   unless it to prove ya covid free and ya gotta wear it till the world finally realise the virus is something we will have to live with.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The plan is just days away from starting with the first load of Chinese tourists set to arrive next week from Guangzhou.

Smart idea to let this group into your country first.  This way you can infect every local Thai now instead of later - time saver.

Why not let Africans be the first group into the country too when you want to control HIV infections while you're at it. 

I wonder when we'll all be given a star with "Farang" written in the middle to wear at all time?
Of course they'll never do that.  They don't need to.  They have a high-tech way to accomplish exactly the same thing.  GPS wrist and ankle monitors. 

5 hours ago, darksidedog said:

They really need someone with an ounce of common sense to stop all of these ridiculous ideas before they make fools of themselves every single day.

One of the biggest things I miss about loving in Thailand is the lack of our home grown soaps.  Come on Sir just let them crack on with their ideas......  There is so little other entertainment and merriment left in my life. ????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

The tourists the good general is alluding to wearing them will wear them the entire time they are here in Thailand, not just quarantine.

I don't think so. These are clearly for the alternate quarantine time only while they need to keep an eye on your movements.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also make the staff at these facilities wear them as well just in case they come across anyone who turns out to be infected.

3 hours ago, Donutz said:

Please tell me this is, like the belated Songkran, a belated April Fools. Or that the PM found a new job better suited for him: comedy. 

Or are they really that far gone? Is it contagious??

Very interesting question. Very relevant one. But maybe he means it. Over the past 10 years or so, the monitoring of foreigners in the country has intensified immensely. 

This is just silliness. If he had suggested a phone app, at least there would have been some established standards for the format, there would have been a known platform, there would have been easily identifiable users.

But suggesting "gps wristbands" at this late stage, where is he going to source the hardware? What sim cards will be used? How are the tracking logs being saved? What identifiers and accounts will be used? What answers does he want from the data and how will he find them?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Let me back in as a stranded retiree, I'll wear a GPS tracking device if they want.  I just want to get back to my empty home and stop paying rent for a place I cannot live in.  All my personal belongings are there and my motorbike - 7 months later.  

I have nothing to hide.  They can watch my movements day to day. I must warn it will be very boring, 7 Eleven, gym, home, supermarket and local Thai markets once a week/fortnight, 2 local bars about once a week/fortnight.  Rinse and repeat.  

Upside, all my monthly income is spent in Thailand. Currently only rent being paid.  Multiply people like me x perhaps 100,000 stranded retirees and it adds up. We are not worthless human beings because we are retired farang thank you.  

Same same mate......  Let's hope these lot get the push soon......  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, androokery said:

This is just silliness. If he had suggested a phone app, at least there would have been some established standards for the format, there would have been a known platform, there would have been easily identifiable users.

But suggesting "gps wristbands" at this late stage, where is he going to source the hardware? What sim cards will be used? How are the tracking logs being saved? What identifiers and accounts will be used? What answers does he want from the data and how will he find them?

Sorry officer I forgot to charge my watch,or I left it in a brothel,or a ladyboy stole it.Get your excuses ready.

5 hours ago, CGW said:

Sure that most folks realise that "track & trace" is at the heart of this agenda, just play along, get chipped, take your vaccine like a man and regain your "Freedom" ????

Notice that most countries are following the same agenda, or is that just coincidence? ????

No coincidence at all IMO

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Give up whining guys, do you know how silly you sound, you come here and drool over Thai women that tie a bit of string around your wrist and tell you not to remove it for3 days ????

3 days, i thought it was to be worn until it falls off, oh wait falling off is what happens when you get a disease, Sorry, inside thinking once again spewed onto the keyboard.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, androokery said:

Highly unlikely. You're giving these clowns way too much credit. When it comes to opening up for tourism they don't have an overarching goal or a secret agenda or some nefarious scheme together with Chinese Yellow Peril overlords. Thailand's leaders are simply driven by fear.

no one is saying you have to be smart to have bags of gold thrown your way, and sign secretive agreements for 20-25 years for cough cough wink wink, national strategies and eec, eez projects, and huge infrastructure projects by chinese in every belt and road country, 17 so far, the arrogant fake master race han chinese call it barbarian management

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aussienam said:

Let me back in as a stranded retiree

But you are not a retiree in Thailand, you are a retiree in your home country that Thailand wanted to attract previously, for extended visits in the Kingdom, with non Immigrant visas and extensions of stay.