Does extension of stay reset the clock for 90 day reports/

Recently, I got my extension of stay for another year, based on retirement (Non-Immigrant "O").  The extension was granted two days before I was scheduled to do a 90 day report. When I got my passport back, I noticed that the old "Receipt of Notificantion" was still in the passport and designate the 20th as my report date. Now I am wondering if the extension reset the clock on 90 day reporting or will I be fined for not reporting on the 20th. I didn't get my passport back until the 18th. I used an agent to get the extension. The agent assured me that there would be no problem, but the old receipt still in the passport, makes me nervous.

2 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

This seem to vary between different offices. I just recently renewed my one year extension based on marriage in Hua Hin. My original visa was expiring on the 28th August. When I went back on the 22 September to get the new extension stamp, the IO removed the old 90 day sticker, and gave me a new one with report date 90 days from my latest extension stamp.

I asked them about this some years ago, and was told that they do a 90 day report as part of the new extension.

If you like many people apply for the 1 year extension 30 days before it expires, it will mean you're doing a 60 days report if they reset the 90 days if you did the previous three 90 days report on the due date?  Where's the logic in that? 

35 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you like many people apply for the 1 year extension 30 days before it expires, it will mean you're doing a 60 days report if they reset the 90 days if you did the previous three 90 days report on the due date?  Where's the logic in that? 

I think your logic is incorrect. I did the last 90 day on the 3rd August. Next one should have been 1st November or so. Applied for one year extension on the 21st August (one week before visa expiry). Was told to come back on 21st September, but they haven't received the paperwork back from Bangkok. Went back on the 23rd September to get the new extension stamp and at the same time they did a new 90 day report, without being asked for it, and gave me a new 90 day report date as 21st December. They reset the 90 day from the date of the extension stamp, not the visa expiry date. That is 140 days between the reports as I see it.

This will, of course, work differently for retirement extensions, as you get your extension stamped on the day of the application. Perhaps that's why they don't do it for retirement extensions. Although, in the case of OP, he could have ask them to do the 90 day reporting at the time of application. I believe you can do the 90 day reporting two weeks before until one week after the report date.

Edit:

Just reread the OP and realized he used an agent. In this case he doesn't have any control over the process.

Edited by SpaceKadet
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You should not fined for a late report since the amnesty was extended to the 31st of this month and it includes 90 day reports.

Do you mean the 31st of OCTOBER or September??

I don't claim to know what the rules are.   But a few years back, I got fined 2000 baht a couple of weeks after I got a new extension at the BKK One Stop with a new work permit from a BOI company that required approval from the DMF, the government agency dealing with oil and gas production.  The new extension/WP did not reset the 90 day clock as I thought it did.

I've been assured (and I believe) that the stamp in my passport was not technically an overstay stamp.  But the next time I flew out of Thailand, both the airline ticket agent and the IO at departure referred to it as "an overstay stamp".  So I'm not too sure that technical difference is appreciated across the board.

That was pre-Covid, so I don't know how it's working under the amnesty.  But I suggest making the 90 day report if you're in any doubt.

Edited by impulse

Now I am wondering if the extension reset the clock on 90 day reporting or will I be fined for not reporting on the 20th

the one years extension reset your 90 days report, the information that you submit to get a new extension are consider a report, a new 90 days start when they stamp your one year extension approval.

Edited by vinci
  • Sad 1

so what do you think you're doing when applying for the new one year extension, wasn't your address and info are submit when applying for new extension, 90 days reporting are basically you must report to immigration whereabouts, when you apply for your extension aren't you submitting your info to them including whereabout you are.  

Edited by vinci

8 hours ago, vinci said:

the one years extension reset your 90 days report, the information that you submit to get a new extension are consider a report, a new 90 days start when they stamp your one year extension approval.

I'm confused about this also, I was 'approved' my 12 month extension July 29th and was under the assumption that the 90 days started from then because it says 90 day reporting under that stamp.....  nothing is mentioned about 90 days when I submitted my information July 1st only that it is under consideration

8 hours ago, vinci said:

so what do you think you're doing when applying for the new one year extension, wasn't your address and info are submit when applying for new extension, 90 days reporting are basically you must report to immigration whereabouts, when you apply for your extension aren't you submitting your info to them including whereabout you are.  

But that is not the purpose of your visit, that is to remew your extension. By your logic it could also be construed you have also done your TM30 and perhaps they should give you a COR at the same time. One desk, one vist, one purpose. More 'opportunity'....

42 minutes ago, SteveJames said:

I'm confused about this also, I was 'approved' my 12 month extension July 29th and was under the assumption that the 90 days started from then because it says 90 day reporting under that stamp.....  nothing is mentioned about 90 days when I submitted my information July 1st only that it is under consideration

They love to be opaque about procedures, since that gives them a chance to fine you and put money into their pockets. Thai Immigration neglects no opportunity to skim off the top of your income.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vinci said:

You are wrong. When you do your first extension you also register your address and, must do a 90 day report every ninety days from that date, regardless of when you renew your extensions. The only time you reset your 90 day report date is when you exit then return to Thailand using a re-entry permit, in which case your next report is due 90 days after the entry stamp in your passport. It has nothing to due with your extension dates. 

A few years ago I renewed my retirement Visa on the same day that my 90 day report was due. Immigration kindly informed me that I had to do my 90 day report when I got my passport back the next day. You have a 7 days grace period to file your 90 day report. 

56 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

A few years ago I renewed my retirement Visa on the same day that my 90 day report was due. Immigration kindly informed me that I had to do my 90 day report when I got my passport back the next day. You have a 7 days grace period to file your 90 day report. 

You also have a 15 day period prior to your due date so you actually have a three week grace period to file a 90 day report. 

If doing it on line it was restricted to just seven days prior to due date. During COVID, when we were asked to report online if possible, it has been extended to fifteen days prior to the due date. It's easy.

9 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Sorry Ubon Joe, but I got a different story in Bangkok.

Submitted by mail 15 days before Amnesty ended ( 27th September ) & abrupt reply that on a retirement visa the amnesty means nothing & I am late in sending advice 

That were wrong if they meant the fine. Change Wattana has said you have to do the report in person if you skipped one during the amnesty. They wanted everybody to do them in August.

You will have to go to the office at Muang Thong Thani to do it.

20 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

This seem to vary between different offices. I just recently renewed my one year extension based on marriage in Hua Hin. My original visa was expiring on the 28th August. When I went back on the 22 September to get the new extension stamp, the IO removed the old 90 day sticker, and gave me a new one with report date 90 days from my latest extension stamp.

I asked them about this some years ago, and was told that they do a 90 day report as part of the new extension.

Same thing at Sisaket Immigration. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

Sorry Ubon Joe, but I got a different story in Bangkok.

Submitted by mail 15 days before Amnesty ended ( 27th September ) & abrupt reply that on a retirement visa the amnesty means nothing & I am late in sending advice 

OK, Which is it?  A seven day grace period or I'm clear until October 31st? Being able to avoid a fine is probably too much to hope for. Everyone seems to have "expertise" in this area. I won't have two thousand baht for a fine until my pension check comes on the 31st, so I suppose I had better wait until then. Given the duplicity and general stupidity of Thai Immigration, I might be jailed if I show up without money for the fine.

Edited by KhunFred

17 hours ago, vinci said:

Not true. I had retirement visa extension done on 15th September but still had to renew my 90 day a week later.

• Like 2