Thais pretending to be Filipino foreign language teachers is widespread, Thai media

rooster59

14 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I can hear it now the youth of tomorrow will be speaking Tinglish with a brogue, and unbelievably it will sound like they are from Merica...lol 

I met an Irishman in Laos years ago who was an English teacher.

I don't know how the kids learnt, I had enough trouble trying to understand him, and my old granny came from Belfast 

• Like 2

Many NES out there pretend to be English teachers, that why Thailand is sinking further every year on the EF English Proficiency Index.  BA in irrelevant field and two Mondays one Tuesday TEFL course doesn't make you language teachers. Only in Asia you can get job if you and NES and white without any competence.  Some facts:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1570042/thai-english-proficiency-drops

Top countries on the EF English Proficiency Index dont hire incompetent NES, but  people with actual degree in English language. Anything more to add?

https://www.ef.com/wwen/epi/

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Based on Tom's input the article claimed that many Thais had been hired to teach in schools

So they base the article on a tweet from someone they never met... real investigative journalism ????

The teachers  were ordered never to speak Thai in class. 

This was so that an illusion could be maintained hoodwinking the students into believing they didn't understand Thai so the students would not resort to that language in class themselves.  

And they are all such great actors (obviously they're not real teachers...) that they never reacted to Thai language, never spoke to other teachers in Thai during the day...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

A female friend of mine is half Thai half English, raised in England.

She did some teaching in one private school here and was told by the agency to not mention she is half Thai or can speak Thai to anyone at the school.

She said she actually wished she wasn't Thai just so she wouldn't understand all the stuff the Thai teachers there talked about, thinking she couldn't understand. ????

I get the same feeling when Im in the bar

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

What about the Russian English teachers posing as Brits for a lot more money?

They should let the retirees teach part time, except the Scots. ????

Well we do have a Russian agent posing as President of the United States so why not ?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Filipinos must be 'liked' very much by Thai's atm. I think they are, they fit in easier, don't whine as much as Brits nor as expensive as Americans.

In reality due to the accent, Americans should be paid twice as much as Brits. IMO. ????????

Edited by Solinvictus
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

How them Thais come filipino teachers managed to keep that up infront of a class full of Thai kids is difficult I speak pretty good Thai and sometimes for a bit fun when I go out dont speak Thai not easy, even one word

• Like 1

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

Although Asian...Thais and Filipinas are easily told apart. Mannerisms, skin tone, facial features and accents. No way could a Thai pass off as a Filipina.

And their better English more importantly!!!????????????????????????????????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

How them Thais come filipino teachers managed to keep that up infront of a class full of Thai kids is difficult I speak pretty good Thai and sometimes for a bit fun when I go out dont speak Thai not easy, even one word

That's indeed very difficult. I'm in the same boat, not allowed to say something in Thai.

But when the electricity switched off, I said "Fai dab" without even thinking. Lol

15 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

It's a great idea. Since they don't want any real foreigners anyway, they can just act. I wonder when they'll move to the next level, and disguise as Brit. 

Disguise as a Brit :the Farang look could be a problem, the accent is easy: pretend to be from Yorkshire, nobody can understand their English anyway, if you wanna call it English 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Disguise as a Brit :the Farang look could be a problem, the accent is easy: pretend to be from Yorkshire, nobody can understand their English anyway, if you wanna call it English 

Or teach in Pennsylvania Dutch, nobody will hear the difference.......lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YetAnother said:
16 hours ago, rooster59 said:

They claimed that out of 411 teachers checked at the school only 98 had a teacher's licence

land of sham

A school and (a profession here) "of sham" [sic].

Edited by Cod Face

39 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

That's indeed very difficult. I'm in the same boat, not allowed to say something in Thai.

But when the electricity switched off, I said "Fai dab" without even thinking. Lol

Or, Jep

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

English language teachers

They claimed that out of 411 teachers checked at the school only 98 had a teacher's licence.

Could've been worse .. imagine if they were geometry teachers they'd be back to square one .. 

• Haha 2

They claimed that out of 411 teachers checked at the school only 98 had a teacher's licence.

And four foreigners were sacked because they didn't have the correct visa and other paperwork. 

So, does this mean they sacked the foreigners for wrong paperwork , but kept the Thais with no licences ? Seems a bit xenophobic to me. Should have sacked the lot of them and sacked their empoyers

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

If they are serious about teaching everyone English, they should hire from India. They could get certified teachers for Thai wages that speak English very well. The accent is a little odd but nobody would know and English speakers don't care that much anyway.

they are seeking South Africans as well, certified and "barely" odd accent, wages may be a little higher

16 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

If they are serious about teaching everyone English, they should hire from India. They could get certified teachers for Thai wages that speak English very well. The accent is a little odd but nobody would know and English speakers don't care that much anyway.

all indians have a welsh accent when speaking english.55

• Haha 1