Bangkok’s Governor slammed for indifference to Bangkok flood woes

rooster59

Bangkok’s Governor slammed for indifference to Bangkok flood woes

Assawin-Kwanmuang.jpg

Aswin Kwanmuang, Bangkok Governor

Bangkok MP Sira Jenjakha has vented his frustration over what he alleges is Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang’s indifference to the suffering of the city’s residents due to flooding every time there is heavy rain, Sira demanded that Aswin step down, to pave way for someone more competent.

The Palang Pracharat MP is referring to the widespread inundation of Bangkok on Friday night, which caused gridlock across the city and stranded tens of thousands of commuters at bus stops and metro stations, as they waited for hours to board buses or trains for home.

Sira said he wondered where Governor Aswin was, when he was needed last night to address the flooding, “or should we report him as a missing person?” he asked.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkoks-governor-slammed-for-indifference-to-bangkok-flood-woes/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-10-04

35+ years i have been living in this city and for 35 years the same issues comes up, governors comes and go promises made by the buckets loads, the opposition screams their heads off, nothing change and nothing WILL change...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

...vented his frustration over what he alleges is Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang’s indifference to the suffering of the city’s residents due to flooding every time there is heavy rain...

Years ago there was another Bangkok Governor with the same problem. His response to the public was a classic and went along these lines "What do you want me to do? I'm not Jesus, I can't walk on water."

Our Soi gets about 6 inches of water after very heavy prolonged rain of 2 hours or more when Sukhumvit backs up, which used to stay for 6 hours or more.

With the massive undertaking on stormwater drainage in the last 2 years it was gone in one hour.

Bangkokians are just going to have to live with it to a large degree as when heavy rains  with a full moon (high tide) where are you going to pump it to ?

6 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Our Soi gets about 6 inches of water after very heavy prolonged rain of 2 hours or more when Sukhumvit backs up, which used to stay for 6 hours or more.

With the massive undertaking on stormwater drainage in the last 2 years it was gone in one hour.

Bangkokians are just going to have to live with it to a large degree as when heavy rains  with a full moon (high tide) where are you going to pump it to ?

I agree some flooding is expected you cant prepare for it all. But a bit more efficient garbage collection and stuff like that would help a lot too. I saw my first BKK flooding (recently moved) friday night around soi 36. 

Did not see that in my other place in Bang Bua Thong, did have the 2011 flooding there.

But i think main problem is that they don't do preventive maintenance. They respond, they are not prepared by cleaning things out more (costs money hard to skim)

• Like 1

It's not "a governor" who is indifferent.  It's systemic indifference which is endemic to every government that been in place since I've lived here for well over a decade.  A whole lot of talk and not much action.  Hand wringing during floods, lots of meetings and photo ops, promises, followed by inaction, and then forgotten until the next yearly floods.
The same model is used with the PM2.5 problem. 
Can, foot, kick down the road.

Wash, rinse, repeat ad-infinitum.

4 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Interesting news but .. Is this guy kissing at  his Governor? ???? They should bring the governor of Venice to Bangkok

DA723EF6-2B8B-4E80-89A0-D8D6CC3F1687.jpeg

You don't see what's on the other side of the governor.  :wink:

Image1.jpeg.9dc27c734bf48fac7f388ecc92c187a6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sira said he wondered where Governor Aswin was, when he was needed last night to address the flooding, “or should we report him as a missing person?” he asked.

That comment will be re-paid in droves.

Finding a competent and non corrupt replacement is an impossible task. There was a clean governor many years ago Chamlong Srimuang. Samak Sundaravej had a big mouth but he got some good things done. The rest were just incompetent crooks.

Edited by Anant72
Was too fast

Just do what they did on my old soi; install big, expensive looking storm drains. Have people arrive in brand new Mercedes wearing khaki uniforms to inspect the drains have been done properly. People say this only happened 'cos someone very important has a house on the soi, but I'm sure they'd do this kind of work to any soi if the residents asked, right?