Non O retirement re-entering Thailand

There are many in your position. 

I thought that by now you may have been able to grt back on the basis that.

Tested negative 10 days before departure & at departure

Prepared to do 14 days quarantine

Have or had a retirement visa or extension expiring after end of March 2020

Monies still deposited in a Thai bank of required amount

Medical insurance of at least what they have stipulated

If they are serious about bringing the place back to life this would certainly be one of the easiest classifications to start with

but seems the Immigration Bureau does not have the enthusiasm to bother recommending this option for entry

Beats me

• Like 1

On 10/4/2020 at 5:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

Some embassies are showing the non-o visa and extensions now.

It seems there may of been some confusion as to what the type of visa or extension of stay with re-entry permit is allowed.

The embassy the US appears to be only doing it for those with new OA and OX visas.

Maybe it will get sorted out soon.

Acc to government gazette it is only OA and OX. From UK you go nowhere at this time. Some countries can apply for STV.  Apply for Elite visa?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Acc to government gazette it is only OA and OX. From UK you go nowhere at this time. Some countries can apply for STV.  Apply for Elite visa?

There is nothing in the Ministerial Announcement about the OA and OX visas. It is only about the Special Tourist Visa since it is something new.

The OA and OX visa have been available for a long time now.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mjp21 said:

We need to get Thai authorities to let people who hold non O with extension to stay based on retirement to enter Thailand the same as non O A holders. Need some publicity campaign to raise the profile of all the stranded non O holders 

Feel free to write letters to the Newspaper. That does seem to get some attention.

That and calls to relevant overseas Embassies (who are in touch with the powers that be back home) would be the 2 ways to go at this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the are referring to a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over that the London embassy will issue.

It only requires a small amount of financial proof and no insurance. 

If that was the case then they are not excluding 1 year extension holders based on a Non O retirement visa?

In my case, I entered on a Non O spouse visa and extended based on retirement a couple of years back. Would that mean I would be eligible for a CoE if I was in the UK?

2 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

In my case, I entered on a Non O spouse visa and extended based on retirement a couple of years back. Would that mean I would be eligible for a CoE if I was in the UK?

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for a certificate of entry on that basis.

Just now, chilly07 said:

Tail wagging the dog again.

Anybody (non Thai) coming into Thailand must pay a large toll to insurance companies selected on the basis of a division of income generated. Can't see any other explanation?

Fior the COVID requirement, any insurance is allowed, not required to use a Thai based company. So no, I don't think so as regards the COVID insurance.

Many countries require this, not unique to Thailand.

I think they want to be sure foreigners with COVID can afford care in a private hospital as they want to reserve government hospital COVID capacities for Thai nations in the event of a second wave/upsurge in cases.

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There is no reason, it is like this simply 'because they say so'.

Some have suggested that it is because of the health-insurance policy which is mandatory for a Non Imm O-A / O-X, but not required when applying for a Non Imm O Visa. But obviously it would be very easy to - temporarily - add that insurance requirement for those on a still valid Re-Entry permit based on their Non Imm O Visa.

My guess is that they simply forgot that there are people in that situation...

I thought I would be able to return this month and paid 50,000 baht for the LMG April My Health 3 million policy that covers covid 19 for a minimum of 100,000 US.

I have emailed the Embassy in London but as of yet hsd no reply.

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Sorry about your predicament. I'm sure you will be able to return, sooner rather than later. In order to do so you may just have to start the visa process, with extensions in due course, all over again. 

I am 53 and as far as I am aware the only visa I can obtain is a Non O and extend for retirement in Thailand.

I do not receive a monthly income and live off savings until I get my pension.

There is zero chance in the near future of returning via a tourist visa and am not eligable for Non O O-A, O-X and would never consider the Elite.

I have a current extension and a re- entry permit and this should in my opinion be enough to return providing I satisfy all the other stipulations.

Edited by mlkik

still stuck in china, non-o extension (retirement) expiring in less'n two weeks.

i'm hoping that after the new year tourism will restart, and with it the visa waiver program as i'd prefer to avoid a trip to the far, far away thai consulate for a tourist visa. 

would also prefer to avoid an o-a visa with the thai insurance requirement, although that might be applied to everyone in the future.  (some thai consulates in china may still be offering o-visas for those with china long-stay visas and residence permits, we'll see when the time comes.)

i'm resigned to starting the process over.  800k is sitting in the bank, so it's just a matter of a fairly easy paperwork drill if still possible to apply for the o-visa at immigration.

what are the odds thailand will offer an amnesty of sorts to those whose visas or extensions expired outside the country due to covid lockdown?  allow re-entry and the chance to apply to reactivate within a limited time?

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the are referring to a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over that the London embassy will issue.

Joe, do you have a link to this visa please?

On 10/4/2020 at 7:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

He was writing about the drop down menu. More information takes you the page I mentioned earlier.

image.png.27d6437304bcf5e9679e814fb3643bf4.png

And  the remainder of them.

image.png.b2cd433266011c2a8dbcf7ae70f6de64.png

Is the certificate of residence the same one that you use when getting a licence or opening a bank account?

6 minutes ago, jpduggan said:

Is the certificate of residence the same one that you use when getting a licence or opening a bank account?

No

It is the certificate of residence for those who have applied for and been granted permanent residency.

6 hours ago, Letseng said:

Acc to government gazette it is only OA and OX. From UK you go nowhere at this time. Some countries can apply for STV.

far to many contractionary statements on here 

I have OA extension based on retirement with re-entry permit {apparently added last week) can i return on this basis?

I also have Child birth certificate but extension is not based on that so can i return on it or not (constant conflicting view points)

I appreciate people trying to help and things are constantly changing. Hence i now need to look at the easiest options

I only come for 3/4 months at a time and always get insurance based on that. Due to the new requirements, insurance wise, it was my intention to change it to dependant or marriage on my return.

If i return, i now worry that they will want to see my insurance, which obviously is not from an approved provider and possibly refuse me entry after already spending ££££ to already get there

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:
6 hours ago, Chris.B said:

If you are married to a Thai you can apply for a certificate of entry on that basis.

That would also apply if married to a Thai but Non O based on retirement? 
Im in UK and my visa expires 22 January. For now I’m keeping a watching brief in hopes of conditions (especially quarantine) improving by then. Should that visa expire would that make things much more difficult- I.e. reapplying for a non O (?) based on marriage and would that have to be done in UK ? The marriage certificate etc. is all still in Thailand so although inconvenient I could get wife to email copies. 

On 10/4/2020 at 5:43 AM, ubonjoe said:

Some embassies are showing the non-o visa and extensions now.

It seems there may of been some confusion as to what the type of visa or extension of stay with re-entry permit is allowed.

The embassy the US appears to be only doing it for those with new OA and OX visas.

Maybe it will get sorted out soon.

Which embassies? i can not find "some"

Dear Sir/Madam,

Retirement visa still not permit. please apply for Non-OA

Non-Immigrant Type O-A long Stay (age 50 years or over) 1 year validity

In order to access online visa application, please go to https://thaievisa.go.th/Home

(Sign up for Individual)

1. Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and at least 2 blank pages
  2. A medical certificate issued in the UK or Ireland or Thailand, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No.14 (B.E. 2535) which include Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Elephantiasis, drug addiction, third stage of Syphilis, and the certificate shall be valid for not more than three months.
  3. Certificate of criminal record clearance from the UK (ACRO, DBS, or issued by the police) or Ireland
  4. Financial evidence showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 THB (approx. £1,625) or having the current balance of 800,000 THB (approx. £20,000), e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month
  5. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement 
Or copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID-19 and no less than 100,000 USD (for 1 year validity)

Applicants must be of age 50 years old or over.

(The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.)

Kind Regards,

Visa Officer

25 minutes ago, mlkik said:
  1. Copy of evidence stating that applicants have insurance as per stipulated by the Office of Insurance Commission and health insurance of Thailand which has insurance money for outpatient not less than 40,000 Baht and for inpatient not less than 400,000 Baht. Please check < http://longstay.tgia.org> for more information regarding the insurance requirement 
Or copy of your insurance policy which covers COVID-19 and no less than 100,000 USD (for 1 year validity)

what is this "OR"?   you can apply using either type of policy?

and then the 40/400 thai policy will be required for extension, but not the covid cover?

what is the 100k (for 1 year validity)?  does the policy need to be valid for 1 year?  or are they referring to a 1-year validity of the visa?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

what is this "OR"?   you can apply using either type of policy?

and then the 40/400 thai policy will be required for extension, but not the covid cover?

what is the 100k (for 1 year validity)?  does the policy need to be valid for 1 year?  or are they referring to a 1-year validity of the visa?

that 'or' has to be a mistake it implies all you would need for an O-A is a covid-19 policy and no need for the 40 000 outpatient care 400 000 for inpatient

22 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Just copied off the Thai Embassy website....

For long-stay visa holder (Non-Immigrant O-A/O-X)

While Thailand still puts in place travel restriction, foreign nationals who are holder of Non-Immigrant O-A and O-X can apply for the Certificate of Entry to go to Thailand.  If your spouse wishes to go to Thailand with you, both of you must apply for O-A/O-X visa (non-O retirement visa is not permitted).

The question is why not?

Thai Embassy BC Canada, by conversation, a valid Non O retirement with re-entry permit IS permitted to apply for COE along with the O-A, O-X. These mixed messages are bothersome to say the least if you are purchasing an air ticket, ASQ etc.  in the near future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Thai Embassy BC Canada, by conversation, a valid Non O retirement with re-entry permit IS permitted to apply for COE along with the O-A, O-X. These mixed messages are bothersome to say the least if you are purchasing an air ticket, ASQ etc.  in the near future. 

Bothersome is an understatement . I am torn do I apply for the O-A or do I wait and hope my Non O extension will get me back?

24 minutes ago, mlkik said:

Bothersome is an understatement . I am torn do I apply for the O-A or do I wait and hope my Non O extension will get me back?

I was going to choose a hostile word rather than 'bothersome'. You expire Jan 15 ? I think can wait to mid November, a lot can happen, keep on your embassy by calling not email regarding Non O retirement. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, howerde said:

that 'or' has to be a mistake it implies all you would need for an O-A is a covid-19 policy and no need for the 40 000 outpatient care 400 000 for inpatient

The OR is indeed misleading.

It are 2 separate requirements which both need to be fulfilled.

1 - The IO-approved health-insurance of 400K/40K for in/out-patient coverage, is part of the REGULAR application-requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

2 - The 100.000 US$ covid-19 insurance (for the duration of your stay) is a SPECIAL requirement now imposed on ALL applicants for the COE to enter Thailand during covid-times.

If the insurance you have meets BOTH requirements, that would be sufficient.  E.g. the CP VisaFriendly policy meets both.

However, taking two separate policies will often be cheaper and provide more value.

E.g.

1 - if your foreign health-insurance meets req-1 you can ask them to fill in/sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate that your policy meets req-1 for 400/40K in/out-patient coverage.  Alternatively you can subscribe to the cheap 'throw-away' Plan 1 policy (with 200K deductible) issued by LMG Insurance which sells for an annual premium of 6.000 to 11.400 THB in the age categories of 51 to 75 years of age.  That policy does NOT require an (expensive) medical to subscribe to it.

2 - If your foreign health-insurance provides 100.000 US$ health-insurance coverage and includes covid-19 you are covered for req-2.  Alternatively you can subscribe e.g. to the SafetyWings travel-insurance policy which provides 250.000 US$ health-insurance coverage (which includes covid-19).  No matter your nationality or current place of residence you can subscribe to that full travel-insurance package.  It is limited till 69 years of age and will charge a monthly fee (which can be cancelled anytime) depending on your age between 40 US$ and 130 US$.

When over 69 years of age you would probably need to subscribe to a Thai 100.000 US$ covid-19 only insurance, but these are - compared with SafetyWings -  ridiculously expensive for the low coverage they provide.

Note: It is also worthwhile when making use of a Thai covid-19 policy to check whether you are covered from date of entry (the Pacific Cross health-insurance policies only cover you after 15 days in Thailand - so nice surprise when being tested positive on entry and not being covered for the hospitalization costs...).

Edited by Peter Denis

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Do you believe 50 is sufficient? It does say in receipt of a State pension and now I believe you have to be 66 to receive that, (for a male). Oh I see there is an option of  'or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000'

Edited by jacko45k