Non O retirement re-entering Thailand

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you believe 50 is sufficient? It does say in receipt of a State pension and now I believe you have to be 66 to receive that, (for a male). Oh I see there is an option of  'or 3-month bank statement of at least £10,000'

When applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, the wording 'for reason of retirement' is indeed misleading.

When you are over 50 years of age and meet the financial requirements, you can apply for such Visa 'for reason of retirement' at those Western Embassies/Consulates that issue them.

The same goes for the Non Imm O-A Visa.

14 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for the Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, the wording 'for reason of retirement' is indeed misleading.

When you are over 50 years of age and meet the financial requirements, you can apply for such Visa 'for reason of retirement' at those Western Embassies/Consulates that issue them.

The same goes for the Non Imm O-A Visa.

Yes, I was more drawn to the 'State Pension' requirement which nobody in the UK receives at 50... I have to wait until 66, some months away. Requiring the £10,000 is the alternative. Thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I was more drawn to the 'State Pension' requirement which nobody in the UK receives at 50... I have to wait until 66, some months away. Requiring the £10,000 is the alternative. Thanks for your comment.

Some posters will not agree with me, but imo applying for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa instead of the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement is the better option.

Even with the now mandatory IO-approved health-insurance requirement (easy to meet if you know how), the Non Imm O-A Visa is by far my choice of preference.

The Non Imm O-A Visa can provide you with almost 2-years of IO hassle free stay, and during those 2 years there is NO need to visit your IO twice for the 1-year extensions of stay and NO need to park/transfer funds to a personal Thai bank-account. 

When occasionally visiting your home-country approx every 2 year, you can when doing so simply re-apply for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa, and as a result you will NEVER EVER have to visit a local Immigration Office during your long-stay in Thailand. 

Judging from some of the posts on the Forum reporting about their extension applications at certain IOs, this will sound as Heavenly Music...

>> PM me when you need info on how to meet that health-insurance requirement when applying for the Non Imm O-A Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate in your home-country. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

as a result you will NEVER EVER have to visit a local Immigration Office during your long-stay in Thailand

What about 90 day reports and etc. Also a re-entry permit for the 2nd year.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

In my 3 years in Thailand I only ONCE visited an Immigration office, and that was for doing my very first 90-day report in person.  Now doing my 90-day reports (and previously my TM-30s) on-line.

When making a trip by plane to a neighboring country during the 2nd year I buy a SingleEntry Re-Entry Permit when exiting Thailand in the airport departure hall.  And obviously when returning to my home-country at the end of the 2nd year I do NOT buy a Re-Entry Permit as that will block me from applying for a NEW Non Imm O-A Visa.

Note: My local IO is in SiSaKet.  According to Forum reports (and my one-time visit for the 90-day visit) it is a strict but very friendly and helpful IO.  It's not that I resent IOs but it is simply inconvenient for me to visit my local IO as it is +1.5 hour one-way journey.  And yes, 'taking my own medicine' as described in my post #59 I NEVER EVER have to visit an IO.

Edited by Peter Denis

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

My 90 day reports here in Ubon have been working just fine since I returned with an Non-Imm. O-A 2 years ago. Normally, without the border closures, one would only have to do a border run to activate the 2nd year (which I actually did last October) This year I simply did a regular extension with insurance from LMG for about the cost of a border run if one spent one night in a neighboring country.  Also one can purchase a re-entry permit at the airport just before leaving the country - much easier than traveling to an Immigration Office to do it...even better than doing it when you apply for your extension.  But then, that's just me - Your Mileage May Vary.  

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

In my 3 years in Thailand I only ONCE visited an Immigration office, and that was for doing my very first 90-day report in person.  Now doing my 90-day reports (and previously my TM-30s) on-line.

When making a trip by plane to a neighboring country during the 2nd year I buy a SingleEntry Re-Entry Permit when exiting Thailand in the airport departure hall. 

The never ever line in your post what I was replying to. I was not bashing the OA visa. I was just commenting about that part of your post.

Not everybody can do online reports or want to do them since they would prefer to them in person.

Not all international airports have re-entry permit desks and some that do have some odd hours they do them. What if a person wants to leave at a border crossing. Very few issue re-entry permits.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not all international airports have re-entry permit desks and some that do have some odd hours they do them. What if a person wants to leave at a border crossing. Very few issue re-entry permits.

Yes, in case I want to make a trip abroad to a neighboring country over land, I would need to visit a local IO to buy a Re-Entry Permit when I want to protect the remaining part of my permission to stay.

So it's probably more correct to state that I never have to visit my local IO for any extension-applications when doing every 2 years a back-to-back application for a new Non Imm O-A Visa.