Kawasaki Versys 650 model 2011

Agusts

I see quite a few of these Versys 650 2011 and 2012 on the market at low prices like 80k or 90k baht. I don't know much about Versys but I assume these are mk2 that came out in 2009 and later mk3 came in 2015 - can see from their headlights...

I thought if they are well looked after it could be good option as a 2nd bike and also get a feel for a bigger bike and without spending too much... 

Question is how are these bikes, will they hold up after 9 or 10 years, would they start needing a lot of maintenance now, and can the parts be easily found - I think Kawa now has even mk4..., although I think the engine hasn't changed much...!? 

Is it generally a good idea or it's going to be more headache than anything - p.s. I don't have the tools or space to do any maintenance or repair myself...

It's a tall and heavy bike but important thing for me will be comfort of riding, seating position, and low vibration - I hate vibes, my big complain with Chinese bikes...

I think many people had these on this forum so I hope to get some good feedback.

A really excellent bike my 2011 Versys would recommend one to anyone who is fit enough to handle it.

I would say the bike could go on for fifty years or  more.

Comfortable adjustable suspension.

There top heavy so crash bar essential extra.

Engines bullet proof been used for years by Kawasaki as long as on some models at one time were assembled with wrong valves, there was a recall.

Big fuel tank for long range.

Cheap to maintain, I did it myself although workshops are reasonable.

Dunlop trailmax are cheap good tyres to replace.  

Nakhon Sawan workshop was better than any other I found and was recommended by Kawasaki HQ Bangkok when others couldn't set my fuel setting properly when plugged into a diagnostic computer. 

Can't think of anything else but I can answer any question you want to ask on these 2011 bikes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Agusts said:

and low vibration - I hate vibes, my big complain with Chinese bikes...

Kawa tried to counter the vibes I think more than once. Rubber mounting the engine helped, not clear exactly when it happened. Wikipedia says 2010 but some say 2015. Some say it's still vibey. Some say it's totally fine. And then addons like crash bars or even phone mounts on handlebar can make a big impact on vibeyness. So the only way to tell for sure is to do a test ride, you'll know pretty quickly if it's ok for you.

Other than the vibes I've never heard of serious complaints about the Versys. It's a pretty good "do it all" and of course Japanese quality so it shouldn't break too much. Never rode one myself though.

You can probably ride that one for a year and just lose 20k in resale. That's damn good value.

I had the Mk3 model.

Really nice bike, very comfortable, especially for taller persons, good for long trips but also okay for spirited short back road blasts. If you gun it the bike is quite fast and doing 140-150 km/h for hours is not a problem.

Engine is bullet prof if maintained, friend of mine had problems with his EN6 but that was because the air-filter was too old and the paper started to come off and block the intake, easy fix.

Cons: Heavy, gearbox clunky, likely no ABS on those older models.

As eisfeld said: If you don't like it, you can sell it with minimum loss and move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffersLos said:

Good bikes.

Cheap and easy to maintain. 

Start off by getting it a full service. 

Change all fluids and filters. New brake pads, sparkplugs etc lube cables, check the shims. etc

If the bike you buy, have done proper services at time, you do not need to change everything at once ???? and when you take it for service they will tell you what you need to do. 

Edited by Tagged

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

If the bike you buy, have done proper services at time, you do not need to change everything at once ???? and when you take it for service they will tell you what you need to do. 

This is Thailand.

A famous main dealer in the North had a worker swapping genuine parts with Chinese copies, then selling the genuine parts.

If you buy a Thai maintained motor from a Thai, I'd strongly advise doing what I said. 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies, this bike I have seen has ABS that like. I also read about that valve recall, a bit of concern if not done, my friend also mentioned at 30k km that this bike has it may need valve timing chain change, not sure about that, I don't have the manual/service book. Maybe a valve clearance check can tell about valve recall replacement and timing chain status..., so can do that first thing.

He also mentioned brake disks might need changing at that mileage, a bit costly, I think I can see that with touching the surface and see thickness if needs replacing...

Most other things probably not that pricy to service/replace..., as you guys say the engine is said to be very reliable..

The seat height and weight is a bit of concern, I'm like 5 10 on a good day...(!), so no flat footing Versys I guess. But I do a test drive and see how it is...

Ah, forgot to ask they say these are made in Thailand, or at least the 2011, true...?

Edited by Agusts

11 hours ago, Agusts said:

Thanks for replies, this bike I have seen has ABS that like. I also read about that valve recall, a bit of concern if not done, my friend also mentioned at 30k km that this bike has it may need valve timing chain change, not sure about that, I don't have the manual/service book. Maybe a valve clearance check can tell about valve recall replacement and timing chain status..., so can do that first thing.

He also mentioned brake disks might need changing at that mileage, a bit costly, I think I can see that with touching the surface and see thickness if needs replacing...

Most other things probably not that pricy to service/replace..., as you guys say the engine is said to be very reliable..

The seat height and weight is a bit of concern, I'm like 5 10 on a good day...(!), so no flat footing Versys I guess. But I do a test drive and see how it is...

Ah, forgot to ask they say these are made in Thailand, or at least the 2011, true...?

I had ABS but never needed it.

The service history should say whether a recall valve change was done, you can call Kawasaki HQ and say you are concerned. 

You can have valve check at a small cost if it has been done, if not it's free. 

Timing chain and brake disc are on going replacement items same as oil and oil filter, valve clearance checks, brake discs, etc it's a motorbike.

Now you say you're height maybe a Honda 500X would be more suitable. 

Bikes are assembled in Thailand not made. 

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The service history should say whether a recall valve change was done, you can call Kawasaki HQ and say you are concerned. 

You can have valve check at a small cost if it has been done, if not it's free. 

Timing chain and brake disc are on going replacement items same as oil and oil filter, valve clearance checks, brake discs, etc it's a motorbike.

Now you say you're height maybe a Honda 500X would be more suitable. 

Bikes are assembled in Thailand not made. 

Im 5´9" and versys is a good hight, but if he feel like a newbie, yes 500x is absolutely a good choice, and even more economic buy. But still I guess he would have more fun on the long run with a 650, especially if he will bring a pillion with him. 

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I have abs, but I still brake like I do not have. Just had a couple of serious brake sessions, and so far so good. Did not feel they kicked in for real yet. 

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

I have abs, but I still brake like I do not have. Just had a couple of serious brake sessions, and so far so good. Did not feel they kicked in for real yet. 

Funny when my son was over from UK I said I never felt the ABS on this Versys. 

He rode it and said yeah dad ABS working back and front, found it heavy to get a wheelie out of it but you can you want. ????

I passed my advance motorbike test in UK yong's ago, didn't have ABS in those days, I guess there OK for heavy handed beginners but they have there faults IMO.

• Like 1

Yes, I have CB500X on my radar too, they are smaller and lighter a bit, but they came out around 2012 or 2013, and funny enough those bikes now with similar mileage are quite a bit more expensive than equivalent Versys...!? I guess Thais being smaller and Honda lovers through and through has something to do with it...  ! ...????

As I'm just thinking about a cheap 2nd bike I am in no hurry and just keep an eye for a good bargain..., they are some really rundown ones with 90k or 100k km around too...

13 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Yes, I have CB500X on my radar too, they are smaller and lighter a bit, but they came out around 2012 or 2013, and funny enough those bikes now with similar mileage are quite a bit more expensive than equivalent Versys...!? I guess Thais being smaller and Honda lovers through and through has something to do with it...  ! ...????

As I'm just thinking about a cheap 2nd bike I am in no hurry and just keep an eye for a good bargain..., they are some really rundown ones with 90k or 100k km around too...

Just interested as you say rundown ones, I sold my Versys and it was nearly 7 years old, it was like new. 

So what others asking for like new condition 2011/2012 ones. ?

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Just interested as you say rundown ones, I sold my Versys and it was nearly 7 years old, it was like new. 

So what others asking for like new condition 2011/2012 ones. ?

Low mileage Versys of 2011/2012 in very good condition are rare, but good ones are 100-110k baht. With higher mileage 50+k km or more it is in 80-90k baht range - then can haggle a bit ....

Again it depends on accessories and full service history etc. , I think people spend a lot on mods on these bikes..., so they want to recuperate some of that money too...

• Like 1

Sometimes many years old + very low milage can also be a negative sign because it means it was barely used. Anyways important to check full service history.

The CB500X will hold value better because it hasn't received major updates I guess. The Versys has went through very visible and noticeable changes. Plus the Honda is much more popular because cheaper of course. The Kawa though will provide a noticeably more entertaining engine.

12 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Low mileage Versys of 2011/2012 in very good condition are rare, but good ones are 100-110k baht. With higher mileage 50+k km or more it is in 80-90k baht range - then can haggle a bit ....

Again it depends on accessories and full service history etc. , I think people spend a lot on mods on these bikes..., so they want to recuperate some of that money too...

Accessories and mods is of almost no value when it comes selling the bike. 

If you buy a bike with mods, make sure you get the original parts to

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Accessories and mods is of almost no value when it comes selling the bike. 

If you buy a bike with mods, make sure you get the original parts to

I am of the same opinion, riders personalize the bike to their perfect liking, spend a lot sometime, but when it comes to selling, they think the next rider will love all the exact mods...!!! But that would be rare as it is called "personalize" , so different person to person... 

But they expect the buyer to add all their expenditure on top of regular bike price...! I guess some things could be useful anyway, but not all...

I have been riding versys 650 for about 5 years now used to rent one then bought one of another ferang I know.

good all round reliable bikes ,,mine dropped a valve about 18 months ago ,Kawasaki replaced nearly half the engine for the grand cost of 3000 bht.

They are not the greatest bikes in around towns ,heavy and clunky gear changes,,,but once on open roads they are fine super comfortable.

im putting mine up for sale in the next month 2012 61,000 full givi luggage racks side and top boxes all the usual extras high screen ,engine guards etc etc .........I would expect around 100 k for it.

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I have been riding versys 650 for about 5 years now used to rent one then bought one of another ferang I know.

good all round reliable bikes ,,mine dropped a valve about 18 months ago ,Kawasaki replaced nearly half the engine for the grand cost of 3000 bht.

They are not the greatest bikes in around towns ,heavy and clunky gear changes,,,but once on open roads they are fine super comfortable.

im putting mine up for sale in the next month 2012 61,000 full givi luggage racks side and top boxes all the usual extras high screen ,engine guards etc etc .........I would expect around 100 k for it.

Did you do any other major service changes? Suspension? 

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

Did you do any other major service changes? Suspension? 

The guy that owned bike before done all services at Kawasaki Bangkok up to 48,000 km,I bought the bike then and done all services myself changed to a yss shock and that’s about it ,,I just replace stuff as it wears last few months new chain ,sprockets,chain guide,throttle cables ,going in for new fork seals and fork oil next week then probably put it up for sale.

2 minutes ago, taninthai said:

The guy that owned bike before done all services at Kawasaki Bangkok up to 48,000 km,I bought the bike then and done all services myself changed to a yss shock and that’s about it ,,I just replace stuff as it wears last few months new chain ,sprockets,chain guide,throttle cables ,going in for new fork seals and fork oil next week then probably put it up for sale.

Keep us updated what you manage to sell it for if you do

• Like 1

@taninthai I'm guessing the valve drop happened due to Kawa recall not being done...!? I think I read it happened to someone else ..., or was it you... ! ????

Can Kawa examine the valve during a valve clearance check and tell if the valve model is correct ...!? Or they need to take it out and/or dismantle it further...? 

Personaly I would not Buy a bike gone longer than the first big service in a decent timeframe 5 years old max Then the engine have been trough the most, been serviced Regulary and so on. So max 25 - 30 k, and you will have many years left of that bike to go. 

My 500x have run hard both with and without pillion and fully loaded, but still It have been serviced and changed oil regulary. If I left for going back to work a couple of months, I cleaned it and changed oil before Storing it. I doubt many do change oil before storing it. Still with full touring equippet, extra lighst 12v charger, and so on, there is no hope to get what its worth at the moment. The marked is in the buyers hand. However my gf rides it, so I guess we keeping it ???? 

A couple of advises

do not save money on safety equipment

get proper training either at Big wing Honda (personaly who had driving license from europe, felt that was a bit to basic, but for a newbie it can be lifesaving. Other experts said it is good, and for sure better than nothing.  Another one is Spanish academy in Pattaya. Proper proffessional intructor and very good training facilities. They also have bike and safety equipment for you. 

Have proper insurance. 

https://xrc-the-xtreme-paradise.com

https://www.facebook.com/XRC.OFFICIAL

If I was going to buy my first bike now in Thailand, I would have bought the Versys 650, but keep in mind I had a pillion coming with me. If you do not have any pillion coming with you, you will be fine with a 500x. If you looking for a cheap Good touring bike I have one friend who is satisfied with a Benelli. They have 500 and 600cc

On 10/4/2020 at 12:55 PM, Agusts said:

Versys 650 2011 and 2012 on the market at low prices like 80k or 90k baht.

I have CB500X on my radar too, they are smaller and lighter a bit, but they came out around 2012 or 2013,

2015 Honda CB300f with ABS (17,000Km) are for sale around 50k or less.

I'm really happy with the one I bought.

honda.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

2015 Honda CB300f with ABS are for sale around 50k or less.

I'm really happy with the one I bought.

honda.jpg

Also a good bike if you looking for a semi streetracer. You will miss a proper windshield for longer trips.