60 day extensions

22 minutes ago, Promula said:

The way I see it, anyone who didn't obtain an embassy letter last month, whether used or not, has no prospect of their current stay being extended beyond 31 Oct.

My guess is that the form shown at the beginning of this thread is a self-declaration that whatever was stated on that embassy letter (used or not) remains true.

It does clearly state (box number 2) “embassy unable to give letter” 

clearly, you can apply for this without an embassy letter. The IO wouldn’t have given me the form and told me to apply if I wasn’t eligible (tourist extension - not embassy letter) 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can stay until October 31st under the amnesty.

You do not qualify for the automatic extension to November 30th due to using a extension of your tourist visa. Only those that used a embassy letter can get them. 

But if you have or could get a embassy letter you could apply for a 30 day extension valid to November 30th.

I have seen nothing official yet that mentions the 60 day extension.

Is there any official announcement of this? I thought the whole point was that those who did things the right way and got an extension before the amnesty expired would not have wasted 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

so there's an update - this is now being reported on 'the nation' Does this now mean i can go back to the IO  and reclaim my 30 days?

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395780?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=internal_referral

Deadline for visa-amnesty application extended to Oct 31

Oct 07. 2020

The Immigration Bureau announced on Tuesday that all visas extended on or before October 31 under the latest amnesty will go into effect collectively from November 1.

The bureau said foreigners who did not apply for the visa amnesty before the original September 26 deadline will have until October 31 to do so.

Foreigners are advised to submit their applications as soon as possible to avoid overcrowding at local immigration offices.

It is a point of discussion because you said lot's of people moved over to ed visas, and there are lot's of people not 'on amnesty' - which isn't possible.

Don't take my word for it - take the ministry of educations:

*This announcement is sent to all students (current and potential).  If the message does not apply to you, feel free to delete this email or ignore it.

We regret to inform you that ED visas will not be granted to school students for the time being.

This was confirmed yesterday over an important meeting with a top official at the Ministry of Education from the Office of Private Education.

In a bid to help our students and get some answers, we formed an alliance with other language schools last week which helped make this meeting possible.

The Ministry of Education fully supported us and with their help, we were able to make a call over a speaker phone to a top official at immigration.

Unfortunately, they cited national security reasons and made it clear that ED visas will not be granted to language school students for the time being.

20 minutes ago, Chrisroundtheworld said:

I guess I'll wait until next week to see if this 60 day visa starting November 1st comes into fruition.

If the 60 day November amnesty does occur, that means that we can stay in Thailand under Covid amnesty until essentially JANUARY 1st??

30 December.

If you're ready to apply, why not print out the form and give it a try this week?

I emailed immigration ([email protected]) to ask if tourist visa extensions applied for prior to the 26th of September are eligible for the 30th November stamp, or if it only applies to people who had an embassy letter. I shall post any update as soon as it comes in. Pointless arguing between ourselves when we can ask immigration directly!

It looks like there's now three forum posts (one of them even stole the pictures from this one!) all asking the same questions about 60 day extensions. Hopefully i'll have some answers soon!

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I emailed immigration ([email protected])

Don't hold your breath waiting for an email reply from a Thai government office. 

now three forum posts (one of them even stole the pictures from this one

Wow you're touchy. I didn't realise that reposting images on the forum was theft.

You started this thread, like so many others, to relay your personal experience. It becomes a mess to follow when everyone starts their own thread, so I created one for everyone to use. It's common sense. 

• Haha 1

I also emailed ubon immigration this morning to ask what documents are required to apply for these extensions, so there should be some news coming in today, if i don't hear anything by late afternoon, i'll go and ask directly.

4 hours ago, Promula said:

Don't hold your breath waiting for an email reply from a Thai government office. 

Wow you're touchy. I didn't realise that reposting images on the forum was theft.

You started this thread, like so many others, to relay your personal experience. It becomes a mess to follow when everyone starts their own thread, so I created one for everyone to use. It's common sense. 

There was no need to create a new thread. It just creates confusion to have several threads on exactly the same topic so I will will be posting any experience I have of either getting my regular tourist visa extended or getting the 60 day extension (if it exists) in this thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

I also emailed ubon immigration this morning to ask what documents are required to apply for these extensions, so there should be some news coming in today, if i don't hear anything by late afternoon, i'll go and ask directly.

Any update on this? What did Ubon immigration say?

Good news. Did they say when people will be able to apply for the 60 day-ers? I'm thinking it'll be from 1 November.

There's no need for it to be before then, and they probably want to force more people without embassy letters to leave, and then anyone still remaining on 1 November (with an extended permission to stay until 30 November) will be able to begin applying for a further 60 days....

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

IO confirmed that the price is 3,900 baht and NO DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED. Only fill in the form and provide the cash!  Great news for all.

That doesn't mean applicants will automatically be approved, like they are for a 30 day extension on their 30 day visa exempt. I think a lot will be rejected, based on IO discretion. 

Edited by Promula

2 minutes ago, Promula said:

Good news. Did they say when people will be able to apply for the 60 day-ers? I'm thinking it'll be from 1 November.

There's no need for it to be before then, and they probably want to force more people without embassy letters to leave, and then anyone still remaining on 1 November (with an extended permission to stay until 30 November) will be able to begin applying for a further 60 days....

Embassy letters are not required, you can apply for the 60 days now.

On Monday, the IO suggested i apply for the 60 days next week when she thought i only had until the 25th of October. Now that i have until the 30th Nov, i can wait and relax.

Everyone who currently does not have an embassy letter, or valid extension of stay (you are OK until the 31st with amnesty) is able to apply for the 60 day extension. Your 60 days will begin on the 1st of November. 3,900 Baht and NO DOCUMENTS REQUIRED! Many members were worried that there would be a financial element, ie, prove you can support yourself in Thailand or 500k seasoned over 6 months. That is not the case.

Looks like the government have realised - why kick out all these COVID free people who can spend money to stay here?

7 minutes ago, Promula said:

I was at KK immigration today and inquired about the 60 day visa as well. They said, they'll have a better idea from headquarters by the end of the month....I'm not even sure if they've worked out all the details yet.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Promula said:

That doesn't mean applicants will automatically be approved, like they are for a 30 day extension on their 30 day visa exempt. I think a lot will be rejected, based on IO discretion. 

Seeing as no documents are required, that is unhelpful speculation. To me, this looks like a rubber stamping exercize. The official order notes that the 60 day extensions will cease when the government decides that the situation is under control globally.

3 minutes ago, Benitostacos said:

I was at KK immigration today and inquired about the 60 day visa as well. They said, they'll have a better idea from headquarters by the end of the month....I'm not even sure if they've worked out all the details yet.

Haha! It was KK IO that called Ubon to say, 'no' to the extra 30 days.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Embassy letters are not required, you can apply for the 60 days now.

On Monday, the IO suggested i apply for the 60 days next week when she thought i only had until the 25th of October. Now that i have until the 30th Nov, i can wait and relax.

Everyone who currently does not have an embassy letter, or valid extension of stay (you are OK until the 31st with amnesty) is able to apply for the 60 day extension. Your 60 days will begin on the 1st of November. 3,900 Baht and NO DOCUMENTS REQUIRED! Many members were worried that there would be a financial element, ie, prove you can support yourself in Thailand or 500k seasoned over 6 months. That is not the case.

Looks like the government have realised - why kick out all these COVID free people who can spend money to stay here?

I don't think you understand how the IOs work.

It might not be necessary to have documents to "apply" for the 60 day-er, but it doesn't mean it will be "approved". These are two different things. I think the IOs will look at each application and use their discretion on whether to approve or deny. I don't think this will be like applying for a 30 day extension of a 30 day visa exempt, where you're almost guaranteed an automatic approval. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

12 minutes ago, Promula said:

I don't think you understand how the IOs work.

It might not be necessary to have documents to "apply" for the 60 day-er, but it doesn't mean it will be "approved". These are two different things. I think the IOs will look at each application and use their discretion on whether to approve or deny. I don't think this will be like applying for a 30 day extension of a 30 day visa exempt, where you're almost guaranteed an automatic approval. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

Neither of us are immigration officers, so i think it's fair to say that we both don't understand the inner workings of an IO. It's best to avoid speculating about what an Immigration officer is thinking, as we are not IO's. It's not helpful.

It is quite clear, they have given a form that doesn't require any of the usual obligations required to obtain a visa/extension of stay. Seeing as most countries are struggling with COVID infections, it shouldn't be a problem. Daily infection average in the UK is now almost 15,ooo people per day, and 'winter is coming' - both seasonally and figuratively!

I imagine if you were applying from a country without any covid infections, then the IO may say no. However, what i just said is pure speculation that doesn't help anyone. Apologies!

Facts are thus;

1  You may apply for this 60 day extension now

2  It costs 3,900 baht

3  No evidence or any other paperwork is required to apply

4  Your extension will start from the 1st of November and last for 60 days.

5  For those of us who did the correct thing and applied for a visa prior to the 26th of Sept, we have until the 30th Nov to apply

5  You may apply again for another 60 days for a further 3,900 baht

6  These extensions will keep rolling until the situation is under control/normalisation occurs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Haha! It was KK IO that called Ubon to say, 'no' to the extra 30 days.

It would've been Immigration Division 4 that is headquartered in Khon Kaen not the local immigration office.

• Thanks 1

@2530Ubon does this mean that a person who is currently on a 30 day tourist extension (not embassy letter) can apply for this 60 day stay?  Can I apply now or would need to wait until after Oct. 26 when i convert back to amnesty?  Or am I not eligible at any time, and must leave by the end of the month?  I know it may be different from office to office but just trying to understand fully.  Please answer based on your office.

Edited by SAcanman

22 minutes ago, SAcanman said:

@2530Ubon does this mean that a person who is currently on a 30 day tourist extension (not embassy letter) can apply for this 60 day stay?  Can I apply now or would need to wait until after Oct. 26 when i convert back to amnesty?  I know it may be different from office to office but just trying to understand fully.  Please answer based on your office.

If you extended your stay from your tourist visa prior to the 26th then It would be better to go back to your immigration office and get them to change your stamp date to Nov 30th. I went to the IO today and they confirmed; all visas extended prior to the 26th September will be extended free of charge to the 30th of November. See story;

https://www.thephuketnews.com/all-visa-extensions-in-effect-from-nov-1-77559.php

If you don't have a valid extension then yes, i would suggest going to the immigration office and apply now for the 60 day extension. No embassy letter is required. Better to apply early and avoid the rush, as all visas issued from under the last amnesty deadline until the 31st of October will be stamped with a permission date starting from 1st of November. See announcement;

120729128_195914725387639_85457303980808

The only ones that need to apply now, are the ones who didn't get an extension prior to the 26th September deadline.

Good luck ????

Edited by 2530Ubon

I tried at CM office.  They said I couldn't extend due to a little 2.4 written on the bottom of my last extension stamp. Someone here said that 2.4 means I can only extend a tourist visa by 30 days maximum.  I'll go back eventually though.  Hoping to hear of success froma anyone who is in the same boat as me but have not heard 1 single case yet.  (Extended 30 days by TV extension, not using embassy letter)

29 minutes ago, SAcanman said:

I tried at CM office.  They said I couldn't extend due to a little 2.4 written on the bottom of my last extension stamp. Someone here said that 2.4 means I can only extend a tourist visa by 30 days maximum.  I'll go back eventually though.  Hoping to hear of success froma anyone who is in the same boat as me but have not heard 1 single case yet.  (Extended 30 days by TV extension, not using embassy letter)

I have to go back to get the 30th Nov stamp on Monday, i'll post an update then. Good luck!

Edited by 2530Ubon

I had started a thread about the Samui IO, but perhaps this is better here. I applied for an embassy letter extension on Sept 9 (early, as requested) and got an under consideration stamp for Oct 11 (this Sunday). Because it is a Sunday, I have called twice and asked when I can come in and will I get stamped until Nov 30. Today they told me that they are not expecting any approvals for under consideration until after Oct 20 and to call back then. As another poster mentioned, they also asked my nationality. So, my question is twofold:

1) Has anybody gotten a Nov 30 stamp from Samui? Please post when you do.

2) Has anybody with US citizenship gotten a Nov 30 stamp? Please post when you do.

Before they stamped my passport I was unaware of the under consideration thing. I urgently need to see a specific doctor in Bangkok and have had to change the appointment several times and my flight as well. I have no intention of coming back to Samui afterwards. So, I'm stuck here waiting for something that may or may not happen. Any info would be most welcome. Thank you.