60 day extensions

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

If you're on an embassy letter, then your not on amnesty right? The only one's who are on amnesty are the ones who didn't go to their IO and get a visa prior to the 26th

I think they're on whatever it is you'll be applying for soon. It's all rather confusing.

7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

They said it would be better to apply for the new visa, rather than apply for another embassy letter. I think they told me that you get the full 2 months straight away, you don't have to wait 15 days.

Are you sure it's a new visa an not a 60 day extension of your current entry?

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

@2530Ubon What would have happened if you hadn't come back to IO to get your stamp revoked?

They probably would have turned up at my house within the next few days lol. I don't know. Oh, they also said it's best to apply for it very early as everyone currently here is going to move onto this visa. I'm going to go soon - unless they give me back my 30 days!

7 minutes ago, Promula said:

Are you sure it's a new visa an not a 60 day extension of your current entry?

I do apologise, you're correct. It does say on the application form; "submit an application for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom...due to the pandemic situation of Covid-19"

Extension of stay, not a new visa.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

They were okay to uphold it until Nov 30, before they decided to apply the old "no more than 90 days" rule.

Those people are on a covid extension and aren't standard tourists like the OP is now considered to be. Using the form he has should give him the same status as them but until the end of December not November.

8 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Oh, they also said it's best to apply for it very early as everyone currently here is going to move onto this visa. I'm going to go soon - unless they give me back my 30 days!

Probably better to go before late October, but go too soon i.e. in the first half of this month, and won't you waste your current stamp duration if the new 60 day stamp begins immediately?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Promula said:

Probably better to go before late October, but go too soon i.e. in the first half of this month, and won't you waste your current stamp duration if the new 60 day stamp begins immediately?

Good thinking! I'll ask them before i submit my application

23 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Is there another post about the 60 day extensions that explains who can apply and what is required when applying?

I was led to believe that all you would need are the standard documents - photocopy of passport pages, picture and address details.

20 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I was led to believe that all you would need are the standard documents - photocopy of passport pages, picture and address details.

I hope that is all we need. 3950/60-days works out to 1950 per month, about the cost of the typical 30-day extension application which usually can only be done once and then we had to exit. Since these are 'unusual' times, hopefully we can just continue to extend using this new visa without exiting. I know that would be asking a lot...but one can hope! ???? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I hope that is all we need. 3950/60-days works out to 1950 per month, about the cost of the typical 30-day extension application which usually can only be done once and then we had to exit. Since these are 'unusual' times, hopefully we can just continue to extend using this new visa without exiting. I know that would be asking a lot...but one can hope! ???? 

I think that's the intention. Everyone wins. I still think they might try to tighten the screws by adding a means test though so it's not abused by people working illegally to fund their stay. That's always an immigration priority.

I just returned from Songkhla immigration in Hatyai.  I was "under consideration" for embassy letter covid extension. 

They told me to return next Monday as head office has not processed my application but I will only get until Oct 31. They had never heard about the November 30 extension or any 60 day visa after that. 

4 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

I just returned from Songkhla immigration in Hatyai.  I was "under consideration" for embassy letter covid extension. 

They told me to return next Monday as head office has not processed my application but I will only get until Oct 31. They had never heard about the November 30 extension or any 60 day visa after that. 

Perhaps they are unaware, have a look at these posts, there are several forum members who have already recieved a stamp valid until Nov 30th;

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1185907-visa-extensions-approved-under-previous-amnesty-upheld-until-nov-30-at-phuket-io-this-morning/

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

I hope that is all we need. 3950/60-days works out to 1950 per month, about the cost of the typical 30-day extension application 

Actually the 3900 baht is a little naughty because they've halved their workload by changing from 30 day to 60 day extensions but still get the same fee income.

I don't think any foreigner will complain though, as they'll be quite happy about making half the number of IO trips.

12 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

Maybe the will of gotten the message by Monday. It was approved on the 1st and posted on their website yesterday.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Promula said:

^ It was a good idea for them to offer the auto 30 November extension to previous amnesty letter users. Now they'll get a comfortable spread of extension applications from non-letter users this month and letter users next month. 

It also appears to be a way for them to bide a little time to roll out the new 60-day visa. I foresee that in November anyone still here and is eligible, will be offered the new visa. Note on the form in the OP, the reasons you may apply for extension:

1. Not permitted to enter DESTINATION country, or ongoing covid-19 pandemic
***It does not mention HOME country, and also ongoing pandemic accepted as a valid reason
2. Cannot get an embassy letter
3. No flight available

These reasons pretty much cover almost anyone who entered as a tourist and is still here.  With this form, immigration seems to have made an extension available for anyone who is able and willing to apply and pay the required fees for it.

An article in Thai Enquirer hinted at a "means test", but I hope they don't employ that.

14 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

***It does not mention HOME country, and also ongoing pandemic accepted as a valid reason

I'm not sure that's what they mean though, otherwise it's pointless, because anyone can just say "Oh, I'm waiting to fly to Japan (or any random country) and it's not open yet". Presumably they'd have to show a reason such as they were there before arriving in Thailand, have been offered a job there, have family there etc. 

42 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

As a UK citizen, i think this is the one i'll use for the foreseeable future. Daily cases of covid are over 12,500 now! Should be able to stay for a long time if it the situation doesn't improve. Means testing shouldn't be a problem - update passboook to show international transfers.

39 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Means testing shouldn't be a problem - update passboook to show international transfers.

I doubt that would be a requirement. Most tourists won't have a local bank account and will be using other methods such as ATM cash withdrawals from their overseas bank.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Promula said:

I doubt that would be a requirement. Most tourists won't have a local bank account and will be using other methods such as ATM cash withdrawals from their overseas bank.

I just asked the chap who posted before you, @scoupeo on his forum topic as it looks like he's applied already for the 60 day extension and didn't get the 1st of november start date. Hopefully have an update soon

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

As a UK citizen, i think this is the one i'll use for the foreseeable future. Daily cases of covid are over 12,500 now! Should be able to stay for a long time if it the situation doesn't improve. Means testing shouldn't be a problem - update passboook to show international transfers.

See Item #6 in this article. If it becomes official, you'll need 6 months seasoned balance of US$15K(500K baht) in the bank. I know some can show this, but many cannot.
https://www.thaienquirer.com/18982/ccsa-welcomes-six-groups-of-foreign-travellers-hoping-to-stimulate-thai-economy/

Edited by audaciousnomad

6 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

See Item #6 in this article. If it becomes official, you'll need 6 months seasoned balance of US$15K(500K baht) in the bank. I know some can show this, but many cannot.
https://www.thaienquirer.com/18982/ccsa-welcomes-six-groups-of-foreign-travellers-hoping-to-stimulate-thai-economy/

That was an old article (28/09/2020), so i'm not sure if that's currently whats required. There was talk of 500k, but i think this will be 500k spent in/accrued whilst in Thailand. It wouldn't be possible to season 500k for 6 months with only 30 (or 60, depending on which extension your currently on) days notice

8 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

i think this will be 500k spent in/accrued whilst in Thailand. It wouldn't be possible to season 500k for 6 months with only 30 (or 60, depending on which extension your currently on) days notice

I doubt it. For tourists, it's more likely to be a bank statement printout from your overseas bank showing you have a six month seasoned 500k baht equivalent of savings to sustain a continued stay in Thailand as evidence that you don't need to work illegally.

Edited by Promula

1 minute ago, Promula said:

overseas bank showing you have a six month seasoned 500k

How can one season something without any notice? Why would one be seasoning anything as a tourist? You're going to be spending it, not saving it. This is either another fine example of Thai nonsense, or we're obtuse farang speculating on rumours.

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

How can one season something without any notice? Why would one be seasoning anything as a tourist? You're going to be spending it, not saving it. This is either another fine example of Thai nonsense, or we're obtuse farang speculating on rumours.

This is exactly why I hope they don't require that means test as qualification to extend. It's just an unreasonable red tape measure that's going to complicate things. ???? 

• Like 1