60 day extensions

1 minute ago, 2530Ubon said:

How can one season something without any notice? Why would one be seasoning anything as a tourist? You're going to be spending it, not saving it. This is either another fine example of Thai nonsense, or we're obtuse farang speculating on rumours.

I mean passively seasoned i.e. you have this money and have had it for the past six months. I don't mean actively seasoned whereby you move money into your account in advance to demonstrate that you have it.

If there's no seasoning requirement people will be able to get a 24 hour loan from a friend or the bank on the day of extension application.

On 10/5/2020 at 4:57 PM, 2530Ubon said:

Me too, they weren't too sure of the new regulations tbh, they were all talking about it amoungst themselves and i had to talk to the boss of the IO. They were all very nice and helpful, but i question why i can't have an extension to the 30th, but the embassy letters can. I have an embassy letter and showed it to the IO at the same time. Otherwise i've just thrown away 1,900, but the ohers who have paid with an embassy letter haven't. Feel like i shouldn't have bothered to do everything correctly. Perhaps they will call me again soon and say "sorry, i need to do your extension again!"

112.jpg

"Otherwise i've just thrown away 1,900."

Don't forget how long you have stayed for those ฿1,900 during the amnesty. 

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for getting a visa and certificate of entry at a embassy or official consulate for certain visa categories. 

Nothing to do with getting a 60 day extensions at immigration.

Thanks Ubonjoe, is there any news on requirements to obtain the new 60 days?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is for getting a visa and certificate of entry at a embassy or official consulate for certain visa categories. 

But which visas last 60 days other than (the currently suspended and replaced by the STV) tourist visa?

Foreigners who wish to stay in Thailand for 60 days can extend the duration for an extra 30 days by providing a six-month bank statement, equivalent to at least 500,000 baht, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for permission.

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"Otherwise i've just thrown away 1,900."

Don't forget how long you have stayed for those ฿1,900 during the amnesty. 

It's still thrown away, as i could have had it for free, or, i could have used the embassy letter i had and received 60 days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Thanks. The OP is the first we are hearing of 60-day extensions for tourists. Historically it was only 30 days. Hence my "connecting the dots".

4 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

It's still thrown away, as i could have had it for free, or, i could have used the embassy letter i had and received 60 days.

Why did you opt for a TV extension instead of the embassy letter method?

I don't think you threw it away. You paid for peace of mind for not going onto overstay.

Can anybody send me a link to the official announcement for November 30 extension for those who applied and paid for visas before September 26? (in Thai or English). Thanks. 

I spoke with immigration in person before lunch and they knew nothing. My fiance called at 4 afternoon and they said it's not true. 

I know it is real as so many people have gotten but I want to show immigration the announcement 

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Thanks. The OP is the first we are hearing of 60-day extensions for tourists. Historically it was only 30 days. Hence my "connecting the dots".

The words you're referring to in that article mention a 60 day stay extendable for 30 days. That's what a standard TV does, not this new 60 day in-country extension being discussed.

Edited by Promula

13 minutes ago, Promula said:

But which visas last 60 days other than (the currently suspended and replaced by the STV) tourist visa?

It would be a standard tourist visa instead of the STV that was proposed. Apparently it has not been finalized yet or approved.

The article also mentioned non immigrant visas as well.

8 minutes ago, Promula said:

Why did you opt for a TV extension instead of the embassy letter method?

2 reasons;

Firstly, It's easier to convert to another visa type on a toursit entry, so if the government didn't announce anything by the 11th October, i would have paid for a dodgy non-o volunteer visa. I didn't really want to do this, so that's why i waited. Glad i did, because it looks like i can now legally stay with 60 day extensions.

Secondly, i didn't want to waste time going back and forth to the immigration office. It took two days to get the extension the first time around!

Edited by 2530Ubon

8 minutes ago, Leon1980 said:

Can anybody send me a link to the official announcement for November 30 extension for those who applied and paid for visas before September 26? (in Thai or English).

Apparently pages 3 and 4 here on the immigration website in Thai. https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?avada_portfolio=การอนุญาตให้คนต่างด้าว-3&portfolioCats=45%2C45

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

It's not just for tourists - anyone who is currently on amnesty can apply i think

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It would be a standard tourist visa instead of the STV that was proposed. Apparently it has not been finalized yet or approved.

The article also mentioned non immigrant visas as well.

Which sounds like it could be more to do with longterm raising of the "quality" of tourists whilst reducing the quantity of tourists going forward, rather than anything specific to covid. Lots of countries have a means test for tourist visas.

Edited by Promula

3 minutes ago, Promula said:

Which sounds like it could be more to do with longterm raising of the "quality" of tourists whilst reducing the quantity of tourists going forward, rather than anything specific to covid.

It was certainly related to covid 19 since it was discussed by the committee for covid 19 rules and etc. It is just a way to get more tourists into the country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

It's not just for tourists - anyone who is currently on amnesty can apply i think

What about anyone who is not currently on amnesty, such as those with one year visas/extensions that are about to finish and not be extended?

Edited by Promula
  • Thanks 1

I have applied to the British Embassy for a letter, but it was never explained to me about what. I came back from Bangladesh on the 7th of March and I was given 30 days on arrival which was until the 5th of April. I went to Immigration on the 5th and asked what did I have to do, as the amnesty had been announced. The 5th was a Monday and they said that it had not become law so I would have to pay 1900 Baht a 30 day extension and I said that can not be right as normally 1900 Baht get you 90 days. I had no money with me and very little in the Bank. The following day the Amnesty was announced and back dated so I was in fact covered. Now I am waiting to hear from the Embassy.

As I have no Non-B visa or Work Permit my place of employment will not pay me for last month. Catch 22.   

57 minutes ago, Promula said:

What about anyone who is not currently on amnesty, such as those with one year visas/extensions that are about to finish and not be extended?

It may be possible but it is meant to be for those that normally would have to leave and re-enter the country to get a new entry.

But there are many people that were on extensions for working or attending a informal school and etc that could not leave and re-enter the country to get a new visa after their extension ended.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

A bit confused now. Apparently there's a new immigration graphic that says all extensions should start from the 1st of November. I thought this was for the new extensions (60 days), however, there are people reporting that it's for any extension applied for during amnesty - 31st Oct. Does this mean i can go back to the IO and say i should have my 30 days back? @ubonjoe what do you think?

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1186274-all-visa-extensions-in-effect-from-nov-1/page/3/#comments

On 10/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, JoseThailand said:

But since the government granted a retroactive amnesty until Oct 31, they should honor all extensions made before Sep 26 and uphold them until Nov 30. That's what they said at least. Because people paid money and used extensions, which proved to be unnecessary.

It appears they've mostly done so. However, what about those wishing to get a further 60 day extension? presumably this will cover the period from Dec 1 to January 31? 

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

A bit confused now. Apparently there's a new immigration graphic that says all extensions should start from the 1st of November. I thought this was for the new extensions (60 days), however, there are people reporting that it's for any extension applied for during amnesty - 31st Oct. Does this mean i can go back to the IO and say i should have my 30 days back?

You can stay until October 31st under the amnesty.

You do not qualify for the automatic extension to November 30th due to using a extension of your tourist visa. Only those that used a embassy letter can get them. 

But if you have or could get a embassy letter you could apply for a 30 day extension valid to November 30th.

I have seen nothing official yet that mentions the 60 day extension.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You can stay until October 31st under the amnesty.

You do not qualify for the automatic extension to November 30th due to using a extension of your tourist visa. Only those that used a embassy letter can get them. 

But if you have or could get a embassy letter you could apply for a 30 day extension valid to November 30th.

I have seen nothing official yet that mentions the 60 day extension.

Thanks! I have an embassy letter, would i need to pay another 1,900 baht?

On 10/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, 2530Ubon said:

very unfair - i paid the same amount and i actually had an embassy letter with me too.

I was in the same situation at MTT. I left the "Reason" in the TM7 form blank so I could put in either "tourism" or "Covid" hoping that I would get a clean stamp to October 26 but the I/O filled in Covid for me. They would not have processed my extension without the embassy letter anyway so that settled all the agonizing between options.

The way I see it, anyone who didn't obtain an embassy letter last month, whether used or not, has no prospect of their current stay being extended beyond 31 Oct.

My guess is that the form shown at the beginning of this thread is a self-declaration that whatever was stated on that embassy letter (used or not) remains true.

Edited by Promula