School execs to face charges over 54 cases of child abuse

snoop1130

School execs to face charges over 54 cases of child abuse

By THE NATION

800_138ab87a524bad4.jpg

Police will summon executives of all branches of Nonthaburi’s Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek School to acknowledge charges of violating the Teacher’s Act on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Provincial Police Region 1 said investigators have found 54 cases of child abuse in the 10 branches of Sarasas Witaed schools located in areas under its jurisdiction. Up to 30 students had been assaulted, some more than twice.

Up to 13 teachers have been found responsible for the 54 cases and nine have surrendered to police.

Provincial Police Region 1 has also set aside four teams to talk to the students, and ensure all sides receive fair justice.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395717?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-06

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Is the picture above just a generic one of the police, or did they feel the need to have coppers dressed up like Black Noir? 

They do know the teachers involved only act tough when faced with tiny children, right?

im informed its luke skywalkers  dad as his  kid  went  to  that  school

1 hour ago, seajae said:

excellent, great to see those at the top are going to be done, huge fines and jail time would make it even better but if they are wealthy they will just get a slap on the wrist as usual once the appropriate envelopes are delivered

Watch the owner teflon-up and wiggle away from justice.

• Thanks 2

Definitely good to see something done, but I do wonder if there's more to it. Teacher's hitting kids is a common thread here. Recently a boy died after running laps as punishment. Has anyone been charged? Also teachers sexually assaulting kids, I remember cases in govt schools where they are only transferred, no criminal charges. Twice I remember mini bus drivers leaving kids to die in vans, they 'forgot' and nothing more was reported.

Violent, abusive teachers are common. Can anyone remember another time charges were laid? And will the media attention currently focused on Sarasas just disappear, like so many things these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I still think this is a witch hunt being blown out of proportion. If you ask me some of the responsibility may be in bad parenting. Bad parents = bad kids.

Agreed. Why single out this group of schools? Not happening in government schools? Might be, but probably will not be investigated or reported with the same vigor.

If this had not received the media attention it did, Thereby forcing officials to act, 

As I mentioned in a post on this topic a couple of days ago, this is not going to end well for the "aggrieved" parties given the libel laws being what they are here in Thailand.    

8 hours ago, djayz said:

Call me skeptical if you want, but, I for one will be very surprised if these so-called "executives" receive more than a slap on the wrist, an invitation to donate to the Christmas party and advice to visit the temple to wai and grovel and show how sorry they are.

I'd love to see them doing some serious time behind bars where they are the weak ones.  

Yep quite possible but my vote is that several committees will be formed, all required to report in 60 days then an extension of 60 days and then forgotten. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Yep quite possible but my vote is that several committees will be formed, all required to report in 60 days then an extension of 60 days and then forgotten. 

Is that not normal, here? And don't forget the photo opportunities.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

How damn disgusting, not only 1 teacher at 1 school but many teachers at many Sarasas schools.

Best thing that could happen is close every Sarasas school now.

Hoping for a defamation case against you?

• Sad 2

Got three in our area, huge campuses and been to then many times with neighbors kids, they always

9 hours ago, mixed said:

Definitely good to see something done, but I do wonder if there's more to it. Teacher's hitting kids is a common thread here. Recently a boy died after running laps as punishment. Has anyone been charged? Also teachers sexually assaulting kids, I remember cases in govt schools where they are only transferred, no criminal charges. Twice I remember mini bus drivers leaving kids to die in vans, they 'forgot' and nothing more was reported.

Violent, abusive teachers are common. Can anyone remember another time charges were laid? And will the media attention currently focused on Sarasas just disappear, like so many things these days.

Might have something to do with them being Christian schools? so not mainstream and It's a nice distraction from the real problems in Thai education where sexual assault often comes up, then never heard of again. I often go into sarasas schools and the kids always seem happy enough and never heard one parental complaint. The only kids around us who you can converse with in English all go to sarasas so they must be doing something right.

this is wonderful news, no sympathy at for those teachers, my kid return from school yesterday and said it is now forbidden for teachers hit students in the hands (palm) with wooden rulers. my kid got bruises in the hand a year ago, my message for the teacher was simple and in person, the teacher never hit my kid again ever.

Edited by A512
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

My only concern is like others have said, items will pass through hands and lots will go under the table to make it go away. Unfortunately you have one dubious system investigating another dubious system. I'm just hoping the parents will resort to social media if this is the case as it seems the only way justice can be done. 

14 hours ago, colinneil said:

How damn disgusting, not only 1 teacher at 1 school but many teachers at many Sarasas schools.

A bad day at the office for the that repugnant dinosaur who is the owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

Unfortunately, this is only the tip of the iceberg. If you were to close every school in the country where this kind of thing happens it would leave a gaping hole in the educational system , it is that commonplace. It gets worse as the children get older, especially for girls, who might have to deal with sexual abuse.

42 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Where would all these kids go then?

You ask where would the kids go, well they could then go to a school where they would be treated a lot better.

It is clear by reading the founders comments, that the only thing Sarasas schools are interested in is making money, not the welfare of the children.