Official Holidays

Terek

Hello, 

I am confused tracking down information about updated official holidays,  to plan long weekends. Last week there was long weekend,  Monday was holiday,  but no one even knows why.. Next weekend also I suspect something is planned.  But where to find official up to date information?  Maybe someone could point me to right direction ..

Tuesday the 13th is King Rama IX day and Friday the 23rd is King Chulalongkorn day.  Both of those days are official holidays with Gov. offices and (I think) banks being closed. 

The last time a holiday fell on a Tuesday or Thursday the Government turned it into a 4 day weekend.  I have not heard any official announcement of that happening next weekend.  However, I have been told that the government has encouraged businesses to let their employees take a long weekend to stimulate domestic tourist spending.  Of course, with kids going to school on Monday, I don't think that there will be a many families taking advantage of the semi-long weekend!

Tues. Oct. 13 (Death Anniversary of King Bhumiphon Adulyadeth) is supposed to be a day of solemn remembrance. Don't put your money on an extra holiday the day before. And, if one was going to be announced, in all likelihood it would have been announced before the November extra holidays were announced. (See Posts 4 and 5 above.)

Look on the Stock Exchange of Thailand website, these are the holidays that most businesses take. Not all of the unofficial holidays like teachers day, ploughmans day etc

Most private companies follow the SET and give 13-15 public holidays and select the most auspicious days.

The Govt recently announced a couple of bridge days for extra holidays in Nov and early Dec, but companies i know and the one i work for have not given these, at least not yet. For most private sector companies its not that easy to give the days off.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why don't you just Google 'Thai calendar' or 'Thai public holidays' or both? 

You have your answer in 10 seconds. 

'Thai public holidays', first entry (worldtravelguide):

Neither shows the additional November holidays nor the changes in December.

With some luck you find an up-to-date table (timeanddate.com).

Google is not as all knowing for Thailand as some think.

In Pattaya it showed complete route nonsense for South Pattaya rd., Dolphin circle completely open etc.

Opening hours in Covid times, a game of luck.

etc.etc.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 4:27 AM, Terek said:

Maybe someone could point me to right direction

There is an official list in English-language Wikipedia here.

However, it's not updated with the last extra holidays this year; I updated them in the Danish-language version, you should be ablte to understand the dates...

• Tirsdag 13. oktober: Bhumibol Memorial Day, mindedag for afdøde kong Bhumibol
  • Fredag 23. oktober: Chulalongkorn Memorial Day
  • Torsdag 19. og fredag 20. november: Extra Covid-19 fridage for at fremme indenlandsk turisme.[483]
  • Torsdag 10. december: Grundlovsdag
  • Fredag 11. december: Erstatning for Nationaldag og fars dag, HM (afdøde) kong Bhumibols fødselsdag (lørdag 5. december). Flyttet fra 7. december, for at fremme indenlandsk turisme.[484]
  • Torsdag 31. december: Nytårsaften

• 2 weeks later...