Perfectly legal but can't return: Retiree expat voices frustrations to Thaivisa

webfact

3 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

It is greener outside of Thailand financially and more productive.  That is why so many working farangs have left.  I work with some very kind, patient people there and the junta annoys me and the people I work with

Socially, Thailand is great, but when Shanwatras ran things, you could actually have the freedom to do more there.  Today, you cannot even build a boat in your own back yard in Thailand, as it is against the law if you do not have a working permit. 

Not true.. only if you intend to sell the boat. But what a stupid remark as if people want to build boats and its an essential freedom.

You left Thailand yet you still post here seems the grass is not as green otherwise you would have forgotten about Thailand. I don't post on Dutch forums anymore why would I I don't live there or have a connection. Why is your connection to Thailand so strong if you think its so bad here.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

Enough said ! Enjoy your say in UK ! And I guess that he is actually a liar who just flew the country scare that covid wouldn't be handled well...

They just all deserve their time spent abroad !

Many probably did leave because they believed all they ever heard and read (on T-V) about the Thais' incompetence in everything and assumed Covid would run wild in Thailand. Anyone who knows anything about Thailand knows it has a fairly robust civil service and public health infrastructure (for a country at its level of economic development). Sum num naa.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not true.. only if you intend to sell the boat. But what a stupid remark as if people want to build boats and its an essential freedom.

You left Thailand yet you still post here seems the grass is not as green otherwise you would have forgotten about Thailand. I don't post on Dutch forums anymore why would I I don't live there or have a connection. Why is your connection to Thailand so strong if you think its so bad here.

Yep...looks like Thailand has lost the backyard boat builders expat/retiree market. 

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

"I think it's right to let the married spouses in first...that's why they were married and you could have done the same if you wanted."

Lots of Thai couples living here together for years (with kids) never got married. Does that make them and their relationship less valid? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

"I think it's right to let the married spouses in first...that's why they were married and you could have done the same if you wanted."

Lots of Thai couples living here together for years (with kids) never got married. Does that make them and their relationship less valid? 

it does if you are living in the 60's.  ha ha

• Like 2

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

A post using multi-quotes has been removed:

Forum Netiquette:

5. Please do not quote multiple nested quotes. Quote only the relevant section that you are discussing. Moderators will snip excessively long nested quotes. 

"Then you are required to provide the same financial records, medical certificate and police criminal check  as required when applying for a non-OA."

Not correct. It's only the financial requirements that are the same. No medical insurance/certificate or police record check is needed when applying for a 1 year extension based on retirement when holding an initial Non-O Visa.

One more thing,leaving Thailand during a covid-19 outbreak wasn't the smartest move ever. 

This case is not unique to Thailand.

International and domestic border control authorities around the world just can't keep up with the influx of desparate, urgent and often legitimate entry requests. Priority goes to those with urgent medical needs. Otherwise join the queue.

4 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

I left Thailand the 10th of March. The first sign of the virus was that at Swampy my temperature was checked.

I left Thailand on February 11 and had my temperature taken then as I was heading into Immigration 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

"I wish to return to my home and friends, to my house, my car and most importantly my Thai girlfriend/partner."

You mean that faithful and loyal gem who abandoned you in the first place?

"My Thai partner returned on a repatriation flight in June"

But no need to worry, pumpkin. She'll be just fine. Her Thai husband brother will look after her. Don't forget to remit that monthly stipend, though!

"I wish to return to... my house, my car..."

Are you sure they're still there?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

31 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Yes. Got a problem with that? 

• Sad 1

The

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

OK. I will explain my personal marital situation. I am still married to my wife of 30+ years in the UK. We have 2 grown up children that would not want to see their parents divorced. 8 years ago my wife and I decided to separate and the split was mutually agreed, particularly financially.

My wife will benefit from 50% of my company pension and possibly state widows pension when I die. If we divorced she would be entitled to nothing. Personally, I think that's the least she deserves for putting up with me for 30 years and doing a great job of raising 2 children with me. As I'm 10 years older than her and not in great health she's likely to receive those benefits.

Also, if we divorced my wife would lay claim to a good percentage of my pension pot which would move me from being very comfortably retired to having a very restricted budget.

I have lived with my common law wife, in Thailand, for 6 years and have an 8 year old stepson who calls me "Dad" and who I call son. I'm the only father he's ever known. Both my Thai wife and I would love to be legally married but it is what it is and we are both happy with our situation.

I am fully committed to my Thai family and am happier than I ever have been. Why should my situation debar me from returning to Thailand when someone who is legally married can return?

The law. Same reason your not devorced.

Once you effectively close the borders to foreigners and 30 million++ tourists you will no doubt upset a few people. It is what it is and it was clear that a lockdown was likely to happen. Granted, I do not think any-one expected it to be this long, but certain 3 or 4 months.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Exactly what the issue is, luckily the condition is not life threatening !!

But it is. I need angioplasty and a stent fitting. I have had this done before in the UK. The type of stent I had fitted is not available in Thailand. A good friend of mine had the same problem as me earlier in the year and had the operation in Thailand. The stent dislodged and he is now travelling back to the UK to have the damage caused by his Thai doctor repaired with full blown heart surgery in the UK.

I'm just cutting out the middle man and having my stent fitted in the UK.

And before anyone pipes up with Thai doctors are as good as UK doctors, I have had several treatments performed in Bangkok Pattaya hospital and have come to the conclusion that, although its a very nice hospital, Thailand is a third world country with third world doctors.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

But it is. I need angioplasty and a stent fitting. I have had this done before in the UK. The type of stent I had fitted is not available in Thailand. A good friend of mine had the same problem as me earlier in the year and had the operation in Thailand. The stent dislodged and he is now travelling back to the UK to have the damage caused by his Thai doctor repaired with full blown heart surgery in the UK.

And before anyone pipes up with Thai doctors are as good as UK doctors, I have had several treatments performed in Bangkok Pattaya hospital and have come to the conclusion that, although its a very nice hospital, Thailand is a third world country with third world doctors.

Godspeed Bro, Hope you don't arrive home dead.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

where did he have the stent fitted if i can ask ,

11 minutes ago, polpott said:

Good luck, i wish you speedy recovery. But by doing this you choose to leave Thailand. Its a choice (made out of necessity but still). Personally i think Thai doctors in the larger more expensive hospitals are as good as those in your own country.

• Like 1